Travis

Sunday, July 22, 2007
First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN, US

Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 89 Upload Photo

Reviews: 14 Post Review
Mighty Posted: 23-07-07 7:01
+2 Votes Login To Vote
There are few bands in the world as authentic as Travis.

This concert was a demonstration of their enduring vitality and relevance.

Seeing them on this initial touring leg behind the new album must be similar to when they initially took The Man Who out on the road.

Despite a serious lack of promotion, The Boy With No Name translates live better than any previous Travis album and touring behind it could prove to be the punch to the gut the American mass-media can't deny.

It's awe-inspiring how deep their bag of tricks is and crazy how many ways they come at you.

"Top of their game" doesn't say it strongly enough.

This is a career defining time period for this band.
cufc7 Posted: 23-07-07 1:58
+2 Votes Login To Vote
This is the fourth time I've seen Travis live, and I had high expectations for this show. They did not disappoint. The energy that this band brings to the stage is just fantastic. The only disappointment was that Andy didn't ascend any speakers, although going into the crowd to play during AIWTDIR was great. The encore capped off the evening perfectly, with Fran telling everyone to be dead quiet so he could play 20 without his guitar plugged in and without a mic, and throwing in Sailing Away was a nice surprise too. Well done Travis.

Setlist:
Selfish Jean
Eyes Wide Open
Writing To Reach You
Love Will Come Through
As You Are
My Eyes
Big Chair
The Line Is Fine
Side
Driftwood
Good Feeling
Closer
Sing
Battleships
All I Wanna Do Is Rock
Turn
------------------------------
Flowers In The Window
Sailing Away
Why Does It Always Rain on Me
wee Posted: 23-07-07 4:08
Amazing! This was my 9th Travis show and yet again it was incredible. (I guess it goes without saying that Travis is my favorite band -by far!) I have to say I am extremely proud of our Minneapolis crowd last night - the energy was flowing and you could tell the band - especially Fran was feeling it - and he gave it right back to us through his performance. First Ave was the perfect venue for Travis. I was at the Chicago show the night before which was also excellent but our crowd seemed to just be louder and really into it. Regardless, I'll never tire of seeing this band. I obviously love the music but the Fran stories are always the highlight and where those connections to the audience are made. Last night the "20" performance without the PA was just so genuine and kind of like you're getting your own personal serenade. Stayed after the show and got to meet the band - got a great photo with Fran- I'll have to post them later - Anyway, can't wait for Travis to come back again - and please don't stay away as long, next time! Thanks!
surlyAmelse Posted: 23-07-07 5:25
-4 Votes Login To Vote
I completely agree with Might and cufc7. The band just gets more and more amazing with every performance and every song. The fans were great and the band seemed genuinely appreciative of the fact that we were there.

The only thing that I can criticize is that a bunch of really rowdy and loud people grabbed the majority of the rail in the upper deck, not allowing more people to see the show. Just because you have a Scottish flag, doesn't mean that you can box out the shorter fans. Please demonstrate more of a "Travis attitude" at the next concert you attend.
marshmallow Posted: 23-07-07 5:50
+2 Votes Login To Vote
Brilliant show. I've seen them every time they've been to the Twin Cities, and once at the Riviera in Chicago, and this one just blew all others out of the water. Fantastic setlist (which I almost just typed Frantastic.. yes. I am still that twitterpated.), with a good mix of new and old material. The band was animated and warm and genuine and completely at their very best. Just incredible!

Not having seen them tour for 12 Memories, I admit, I was hoping to hear a track or two from that, but at the same time, I can't think of a single song I would have had them -not- perform last night in order to make room for a different one. Would that they could have played all night long. ;)

Thanks for another great gig, guys, and Happy Birthday, Franny! :D
vbeckham Posted: 23-07-07 6:47
+3 Votes Login To Vote
That show was major!
Sirenluv Posted: 24-07-07 12:02
What a great show!
Fran is hillarious! The whole Rocky show
opener was great as well. I got teary eyed when Fran played 20 without being hooked up to a PA. I cannot believe he can sing like he does and still have a voice to sing with the next day, how do you do it Fran? -amazing!
I loved watching Dougie. He is entertaining and moves so cool with the bass.
Closer sounded so good I also got very teary eyed on that song because I stood there in awe of my favorite band and just listened to the words and basked in the glow of Travis.
AIW2DIR was sooooooooooooooo good live as well, it was probably my favorite besides LWCT and Side. Those were TOP NOTCH!!!
Whilst waiting outside the venue for over 8hrs to be front row...Andy, Neil, and Dougie walked by so that was cool. Andy and Neil walked by us quite alot. I wanted to do the whole frantic fan thing and my heart was racing when they went by but they seemed like they were doing their own thing so I just smiled at em' and thought it was just cool that they were like "right there". :D Made me smile. I did wait outside the venue after the show but alas I had a lonnng drive ahead of me so we just left and plus there was a ton of ppl waiting. If I did happen to meet them I wanted to tell Dougie his woman kicks ass and Trainspotting rawks...and to ask what the name of the song is that is on the live in glasgow albumn that goes fuckin' around...ect he holds up a cd that says our kid en....or something...I dunno the song is kinda cool and Fran's reaction to it is funny so I wanted to know....
Love the scottish accent boys.:D
That opening band though my god it was like getting teeth pulled it was agony! The electric guitarist had his guitar turned up way to much and the lead singer could bearly be heard. What are they too cheap to afford a bassist and drummer? I dunno I wasn't impressed with the opening band. But Travis....they rocked!
Klaus was walking around outside the venue alot and he looks like a person you don't want to approach he looked pist off lol-but he seemed much more loveable during the show and I loved how he was pogo'ing and playing the piano at the same time during the end....:D
Thanks for a wonderful night Fran, Dougie, Andy, and Neil. Your truly good guys. Many blessings to you and your families.
Grelar Posted: 24-07-07 2:29
I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when I heard that Travis was going to be playing at First Ave rather than someplace like the State or Orpheum theatres. It gnaws at me that more people Stateside don't appreciate them more.
That being said, we'd never have gotten the same kind of atmosphere at the afforementioned venues as we did in the cozier confines of First.
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G energy.
Fran said we "rocked", but let me tell ya, there's no way a crowd gets to and stays in that sort of happy place without the band driving the bus.
Thanks for stopping by, Travis. We can't wait to you make it back our way. :)

wends Posted: 24-07-07 2:49
Wow, just a tremendous show. They made up for being away too long from Minneapolis (6 years!).

“20” w/o the PA, Andy’s solo in the audience (5 feet away from me), Fran’s personable banter…the highlights go on and on. I think Travis charmed the pants off of everyone from the moment they made that grand entrance.

It’s always wonderful to watch musicians like these who truly enjoy performing for an audience. Travis for the WIN.
regency08 Posted: 24-07-07 6:22
I was at this show this past sunday. it is my first travis show and i am still in awe. the band was great! i have never seen a group of guys have so much fun. the crowd was absolutly mad...:-P

i cannot wait to see them again. i believe they are the best live band there is at this point in time.

PictureInWhite Posted: 24-07-07 7:26
I have seen over 200 bands over the course of my concert going career, I've seen Travis three times, and I do believe this is the best live show I've seen by ANYONE. EVER. It was the absolute perfect gig. Met some of THE coolest people out in line before the show whilst we waited to makes sure we secured a spot on the barricade. It made our 4 hours out on the concrete beyond bearable. We were holdin' down the front row from Andy's mic over to Dougie's and doing a marvelous job of it, if I do say so myself :o)

The show, as I said, was STELLAR. Getting to stand in front of Andy and watch him play for an hour and a half was one of the biggest privileges of my life. And Fran doing '20' without the mic or amp. Oh how I cried. FANTASTIC setlist!

Their energy is infectious and their musicianship and chemistry as a band, undeniable.

They did 'Sail Away' for the first time live that night, which I couldn't *believe*, as I'd also been at the show in Chicago a few years ago when Fran did 'Some Sad Song' for the first time live.

As if I couldn't already believe my luck, we met the band after the show, a total dream come true for us. I'd made Fran a little birthday gift, which I got to give to him and he wanted to open it right there on the spot! I got nervous and told him to open it later and he seemed a bit disappointed haha

I could not have asked for one thing more out of this night, from trying to help Klaus locate a shop before the show down to my dream of meeting them finally realised.

What a beautiful night.
PictureInWhite Posted: 24-07-07 7:30
I have seen over 200 bands over the course of my concert going career, I've seen Travis three times, and I do believe this is the best live show I've seen by ANYONE. EVER. It was the absolute perfect gig. Met some of THE coolest people out in line before the show whilst we waited to makes sure we secured a spot on the barricade. It made our 4 hours out on the concrete beyond bearable. We were holdin' down the front row from Andy's mic over to Dougie's and doing a marvelous job of it, if I do say so myself :o)

The show, as I said, was STELLAR. Getting to stand in front of Andy and watch him play for an hour and a half was one of the biggest privileges of my life. And Fran doing '20' without the mic or amp. Oh how I cried. FANTASTIC setlist!

Their energy is infectious and their musicianship and chemistry as a band, undeniable.

They did 'Sail Away' for the first time live that night, which I couldn't *believe*, as I'd also been at the show in Chicago a few years ago when Fran did 'Some Sad Song' for the first time live.

As if I couldn't already believe my luck, we met the band after the show, a total dream come true for us. I'd made Fran a little birthday gift, which I got to give to him and he wanted to open it right there on the spot! I got nervous and told him to open it later and he seemed a bit disappointed haha

I could not have asked for one thing more out of this night, from trying to help Klaus locate a shop before the show down to my dream of meeting them finally realised.

What a beautiful night.
lis_77 Posted: 24-07-07 7:57
Being a Travis fan for several years now, this was my first show and will not be my last! Driving in from another state just to see these guys was SO WORTH IT! Great job. Please come back soon. Love you guys.
lis_77 Posted: 24-07-07 8:21
Being a Travis fan for several years now, this was my first show and will not be my last! Driving in from another state just to see these guys was SO WORTH IT! Great job. Please come back soon. Love you guys.
GET ARCHIVE GIG REVIEWS VIA RSS (RSS?)

ARCHIVE FAQ
December
31 Castlegate, Aberdeen, UK 
30 Barrowlands, Glasgow, UK 
November
26 House Of Blues, San Diego, CA, US 
25 Marquee Theatre , Tempe, AZ, US 
24 House Of Blues, Anaheim, CA, US 
23 The Joint, Las Vegas, NV, US 
21 Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles, CA, US 
20 The Fillmore, San Francisco, CA, US