Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 11 Upload Photo

Members at this show: 5 Add My Name
JimmyDean, Lena, Muffin, stefan, Ulanka

Reviews: 2 Post Review
Lena Posted: 13-06-07 7:06
+1 Votes Login To Vote
What a great day!
A week ago I had learnt about the possibility to win 50 x 2 tickets for this gig in a small venue. Everything was organized by a local radio station. And the gig took place only 200 kilometres from where I live. I was totally in panic because I haven’t won a thing in those lotteries – ever. So I forced my complete family and all my friends to do this questionnaire with 25 questions about Travis on the SWR3 homepage. I lost more than two kilos during that week and almost couldn’t find some sleep as I was so nervous and anxious, as there was nothing I could do but to wait. But time went by and nothing happened, on Monday I had already given up hope. I was quite depressed and sad and upset when the phone rang. My uncle was on the line and said that he had got a call from the radio and that he’d won two tickets. So I got even more upset because I thought he wanted to play a joke on me. But when I realised that he had really won the tickets I was so happy that I ran through the house and screamed and danced and also shed some tears of joy and my entire family thought that by now I’ve become absolutely mad.
So we arrived in Baden-Baden – completely happy, but nervous and excited! After some waiting we finally got in the venue. The concert-room itself was tiny and there were no barriers in front of the stage! The 100 people audience was complete by then so everything was prepared for a great show. It was very hot because of all those spotlights and stuff. We got some instructions like: you’re not allowed to take photos, you’re not allowed to touch anything or to pull any plugs from any cameras, and you have to leave some space for those camera teams that were walking up and down in front of the stage. Then – finally - the band came!!! – walking right through the audience! “Hello! We’re called Travis!” They played “Eyes wide open” and “Writing to reach you” – just fantastic - then Fran talked about how lovely it was to be back in Germany and that he has to love the country as “meine Frau ist deutsch” (my wife is German) and “mein Sohn ist deutsch” (my son is German). He also spoke about Clay’s passport which seems to be quite sweet. – "the cutest passport I’ve ever seen“! “Selfish jean“ followed “a song about fall out with a friend!“ Fran explained. This one really rocked – perfect melody, brilliant drumming, great vocals! I was perfectly happy. After “Love will come through” we listened to Fran’s tribute to German towels – which was quite funny and charming. He seemed to be totally happy because of this soft, lovely towel and its pleasant smell. After “Closer” Fran introduced us to “Claes from Sweden” and announced a piano solo for “Good feeling” he told us to “feel free to storm the stage! Kiss him and hug him!” Well, nobody really dared to do so, but Claes got an extra applause right in the middle of the song after a brilliant solo and Fran went on singing “Claes has a good feeling”. Referring to the question “Can I get some autographs” written on a shirt Fran said: “I will personally stage dive you with a pen! You will have autographs everywhere. You will have them in places you never think you can have an autograph! You will have them in places you’ll only see some of the autograph – then a lot of the autograph!!! … This next song has something to do with that…I wrote this song the day I found out I gonna be a Papa.” That meant “My Eyes” was to be next. What a beautiful song! And although it was really hot in there by then it gave me goose pimples. Just like “Battleships” which they played after My Eyes. Then it was time for the classics: Side, Driftwood, Turn and Why does it always rain on me. – Brilliant as usual! What more can I say?! During WDIAROM Fran said: „Ok. I’ve got a good idea. When it comes round to the next solo, I want everyone; I want the whole room to do a pogo. No matter how old you are, or how young your are, or how cool or how crap you think you are! Everyone in the room! And I mean everyone! Even the people doing the cameras – it might be difficult! You’ll walk out of here feeling at least two months younger! For sure! When it hits the chorus I’ll give you a nod!” And it worked – everyone jumped, everyone had fun!
After a short break they returned for an encore! And I really was on the verge of tears when Fran announced “20”!! That song is one of my favourites since I first heard it live on a gig in 2001 and I’m still in love with it. He did an unplugged version – just the acoustic guitar and his voice… I think everyone was touched and enchanted with the beauty of the moment… It’s simply a wonderful song with such a great melody and perfectly sincere lyrics. As last song the band had to do “Selfish jean” again, as there were some problems with the TV recordings on the first take. – What a pity ;) We got some lessons in dancing a shimmy by Fran. That was quite unique! And so everyone really danced as he had tought us. We had so much fun doing so… I will always remember this scene when I listen to the song. Then the last chords were played and before we had realised the gig was over. They signed autographs and made pictures with fans and talked a bit while doing so – it was all rather laid back and everyone seemed happy. When we finally left I saw only smiling, glad faces…
That was all dreamlike – I only realised what had happened while driving home.
Thanks Andy, Dougie, Fran, Neil and Claes for a brilliant night, which I will always remember! – That’s what music is all about! - Now at least my uncle understands why I’m so in love with Travis and their songs…

As we weren’t allowed to take photos there I’ve only got after show pics. But on swr3.de at the “Hautnah” section there’s a gallery with photos from the gig.
Ulanka Posted: 01-07-07 3:24
+1 Votes Login To Vote
Well, I was not at the concert, but I saw it yesterday on TV. And WHAT a concert, my God! I had to cry hard as they sung My Eyes, because it was just perfectly presented and with so much heart. I also could not stop grinning. Fran told a fan that he is sorry because he threw him or her something in the eye *laughs* And he praised the towels in Germany, which also made the crowd laugh as much as I had to. The concert was about (shown on TV) 45 minutes, and after that they also signed things for the fans. Cool! At the song wdiarom Fran told everyone to jump at the last chorus, but two older people decided not to (damn, that's so uncool, because everyone did and hey, when Fran pleases you to do it, damn, then do it!) and I think Fran did not really like that also. Anyway, was a good concert, with much heart in it. The last song was selfish Jean and I think everyone had the feeling to dance. I was very very happy after seeing the concert ;)
GET ARCHIVE GIG REVIEWS VIA RSS (RSS?)

ARCHIVE FAQ
December
31 Castlegate, Aberdeen, UK 
30 Barrowlands, Glasgow, UK 
November
26 House Of Blues, San Diego, CA, US 
25 Marquee Theatre , Tempe, AZ, US 
24 House Of Blues, Anaheim, CA, US 
23 The Joint, Las Vegas, NV, US 
21 Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles, CA, US 
20 The Fillmore, San Francisco, CA, US