Travis

Friday, May 25, 2007
Academy, Birmingham, UK

Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 49 Upload Photo

Reviews: 10 Post Review
Chrisb Posted: 25-05-07 11:50
Just got back from gig in Birmingham, great atmosphere, banter with the crowd fantastic, will definitely see them again - come back soon!
P.S.
Fran comes from Stafford?!?!
From Chris
(From Stone just outside Stafford)
Deanoaka Posted: 26-05-07 1:11
+1 Votes Login To Vote
Was absolutely class!!

A top show, will defo see again!!

Top lads, thanks!
midnightlullaby Posted: 26-05-07 7:59
+1 Votes Login To Vote
Good to have you play Birmingham again.Great gig as always,full of energy and goodness,left the crowd feeling like they were on happy pills.
Looking forward to the next time!
donna-marie Posted: 27-05-07 11:52
+4 Votes Login To Vote
What a fantastic night !!!!!!!
Its Sunday morning and I am still SINGing ;~}
We couldnt of been any CLOSER to the stage,and Fran if you read this appoligies for my lack of control ! !
I am the mad 40 year old woman in green who grabbed and kissed you as you passed me by ;~#
Thanks for a fab night and hope to see you again soon.
millie66 Posted: 28-05-07 5:03
+1 Votes Login To Vote
Got back home to Glasgow from Birmingham last night. Still recovering from a fab weekend. Have to admit to being ever so slightly biased when it comes to Travis, so as always it was a great show, made even better by Franny noticing I was wearing the same t-shirt as him. Thanx to Dougie and Andy for signing my shirt after the show. The only thing that would have made it better is Fran hanging about a bit longer for a picture. You guys are amazing - hope to see you again later in the year. p/s have to say Brinkman are getting better and better. Enjoyed them at ABC, enjoyed them more at Barrowlands, the Academy was best. Hope things go well for them.
lozm Posted: 28-05-07 7:41
+1 Votes Login To Vote
This was by far my favourite time seeing Travis. Fran's stories were hillarious, especially the one about the 2nd verse to Pipe Dreams. Thought it was fantastic the way Travis came onto the stage, coming through the audience, to the theme of Rocky. The setlist was almost perfect, as follows:

Selfish Jean
Eyes Wide Open
Writing To Reach You
Love Will Come Through
As You Are
My Eyes
Pipe Dreams
Side
Driftwood
Good Feeling
Closer
Sing
Battleships
All I Want To Do Is Rock
Turn

Encoure
Flowers In The Window (Fran acoustic, with band around him, including Claus)
U16 Girls (My all time favourite)
Why Does It Always Rain On Me?

What a gret gig and fantastic night, should mention, I thought Brinkman were particularly good. Looking forward to Hammersmith!!!
HellsBells Posted: 28-05-07 8:19
Howdy! Went to the Birmingham gig too on Friday and it was brilliant. They played some of their new songs, which by the way are very catchy, but it is nice when they are still so enthusiastic about playing their classics too. The place went loopy for Why does it always rain on me, oooh me legs!!

By the way donna-marie, I was standing on the left hand balcony so I saw you plany a kiss on Fran! Lucky woman!
Fran Posted: 29-05-07 12:37
+4 Votes Login To Vote
We arrived in Birmingham at 3pm. Dougie and I did an interview with a nice girl and a silver haired camera man from a local TV station. Then we soundchecked.
Soundchecks are required so that everyone, band, sound engineers, lighting, stage techs...everyone can get the overall sound together before doors open. The man who does your sound out front is called Giles. Giles Woodhead. Matt Jensen does the lights. He stands beside Giles. Amanda engineers our sound on stage. See those angled speakers at the bands feet. They are called monitors or foldback speakers. They allow the band to hear what they are playing. When you see me during a show looking to the left and signalling frantically, it's more tan likely I am- a. If I move my guitar neck up or down that means more or less of the guitar I am playing or b. if I move my head up or down it means turn my voice up or down. Then there are the boys who make everything work on stage for the band. Theres Nick who techs for Andy. Ken who techs for me and David. who techs for Neilly and does some keyboard stuff for Cleas. Liam assists Amanda with sound on stage. Bomber is our stage manager and ensures everything runs to the timetable. There are others, but we never see these guys as they are always the first to get there. They are called riggers. They set up all the speakers and lights.
We soundchecked Follow The Light today. Maybe include this somewhere down the line. We also pulled Battleships into the set and dropped Colder for afew shows. The soundcheck is a good time to try out things that might be tricky...like in Grimsby on the first night we rehearsed the entrance to see if the intro music would last. Soundcheck is a cool time. If anything major is going to go wrong then we'll usually spot it during this period. At the Barrowlands our entire lighting rig blew a fuse and went down. It took 30 minutes to get it on again. Matty knew then, not to push the lights too much on the real show. He didn't relax that evening though.
After soundcheck we hung out. I did some phoners (phone interviews) and ate some cheese. Brinkman were great tonight. Their songs are rolling around my head all the time. Very hooky.
The show was just fantastic. It was so because the people were all up for a good night. When this is the case it is always going to be cool. As I said, I was born in Stafford and spent alot of summers in Walsall with my Auntie Lynn and Uncle MArtin and cousins Natalie and Melissa so this city will always be special for me. I love the brummy accent. I think Birmingham is among the most hospitable cities in the UK. A certain brand of gentle warmth. I love it. You all made our night. Thanks and see ye's soon. Onwards to Plymouth.
sammimac Posted: 29-05-07 1:13
I have waited over 10 yrs to see Travis and they didnt disappoint me. I was overwhelmed,they were fantastic and i wanna see more!!! They played my favourite songs driftwood and battleships and i couldnt have been happier, only i couldnt stay after as i had to catch a train :(
Hope they dont leave it too long next time or else i will have to do a lot of travelling!!
Stiefelbaum Posted: 28-06-08 9:29
I had waited 8 years and ended up flying 8,000 kilometres to see Travis that night, and it was worth it. Probably the only Travis show I will ever be able to see and I will never for get it. It was awesome!
GET ARCHIVE GIG REVIEWS VIA RSS (RSS?)

ARCHIVE FAQ
December
31 Castlegate, Aberdeen, UK 
30 Barrowlands, Glasgow, UK 
November
26 House Of Blues, San Diego, CA, US 
25 Marquee Theatre , Tempe, AZ, US 
24 House Of Blues, Anaheim, CA, US 
23 The Joint, Las Vegas, NV, US 
21 Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles, CA, US 
20 The Fillmore, San Francisco, CA, US