Travis

Wednesday, July 11, 2007
Electric Factory, Philadelphia, PA, US

View Setlist
Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 23 Upload Photo

Reviews: 11 Post Review
PhilB Posted: 12-07-07 7:07
Tonight in Philly was a slice of heaven. The Rocky entrance was a no-brainer that was guaranteed to fire up the crowd. I enjoyed the entire band singing Flowers together. That really worked, along with Fran's banter between songs. PLEASE consider adding Under the Moonight to the mix.
Dimitrios Posted: 12-07-07 7:17
Guys, that was freaking amazing. So glad you finally came back to the US, we missed you. Loved the intro, unfortunately I wasn't close enough to the split to shake any hands but it was cool seeing you guys up close. My girlfriend and I loved the show. The music was amazing, and the performance was great, loved the energy. Loved it all, so glad to hear some music from Good Feeling (that piano solo is actually one of my favorite solos ever, fairly simple but perfectly so). Also I couldn't believe you played "20," first B-Side I heard live and the B-Sides are some of my favorite songs (including that one). Humpty Dumpty Love Song was also a great choice. Loved the show, great job, love the new album too, if Good Feeling wasn't already my favorite album this one probably would be.

If you're wondering who I am, i'm the kid in the 5th row with the big hair who yelled "YEAH TUNA" after the gas story. I was also tempted out to yell the chords to "hit me baby one more time" after the speech about forgetting how to play things, but I didn't want my neighbors thinking I was too crazy.
Teshiamarie Posted: 12-07-07 2:16
Philly, what a unbelievable show! The best concert I have been too and trust me, I've been to many shows! The entrance was great! I was 2nd row back and one of the few to shake hands with you guys. Dougie, I was standing in fron of you and I know you seen me blow that kiss to you!! Kudos to you guys and I hope to see you soon!
I LOVE YOU!!!!!!
Gutch Posted: 12-07-07 2:39
This was my first time seeing Travis live and it was amazing! Here was the setlist:

Selfish Jean
Eyes wide Open
Writing to Reach You
Love will come Thru
As you Are
My Eyes
Re-offender
Side
Driftwood
Good Feeling
Closer
Sing
Battleships
All I want to do is Rock
Turn

Flowers in the Window
Humpty Dumpty
Why does it always rain on me
soniahearttravis Posted: 12-07-07 3:06
last night was my first (but not last) travis concert and it was a little like falling in love again! i've heard all the music on the radio and cd and even watched the videos and concerts on dvd, yeah, and i feebly play some of the music on my guitar (yes i have the complete songbook which rocks) BUT there is nothing like travis live!! (i agree, particularly the b sides) the audience was the best crowd i've ever been to a concert with--you guys sing and pogo like the best! was in the front row, could almost touch dougie! it felt a little surreal--like stepping into a seriously fabulous dream. what a great venue, what a philly entrance (to the theme from rocky, climbed the "stairs" to the stage), how we all wished they WOULD have played all night--fran, just let us know when and we'll all be there!! see you guys in NYC!
tomruffner Posted: 12-07-07 4:06
I feel like I've waited forever for Travis to come back to town. They never fail to please. Unfortunately, I walked in late, during Writing to Reach You, so I missed the entrance, which sounds like it was great.

When I first came in, I thought it felt a bit uncomfortable, kind of like meeting an old friend you haven't seen in a long time. Like, America, remember Travis? And Travis, remember America? There was one point near the end of Love Will Come Through when Fran stopped singing and I didn't hear the crowd singing along. It sounded a bit awkward. At first I was a little bummed that the place wasn't packed as it was on 10/6/2001. It seems like none of the other reviewers felt the same way, so maybe it was just because I missed the entrance.

But anyway, true to form, I felt they kept gaining more and more energy through the show (Claus! Claus! Claus!) leading up to the climax of Why Does it Always Rain on Me, with every single person in the place jumping up and down (me included, and I usually don't do stuff like that), per Fran's request. I looked around and I didn't see anyone not jumping. Travis still have got it 100% and bring an energy to the stage that makes them a truly enjoyable live act.

This was my 5th Travis show (the others were 5/3/2000, 6/29/2001, 10/6/2001, and 10/21/2003) and they're one of the consistently best live acts I've seen. I sure hope they do another US leg of the tour and between now and then all the fans who packed the Electric Factory last time remember what they're missing and get themselves out to the show!

...And I love 12 Memories, regardless of some off the wall reviews I've read on metacritic. It is one of my top albums of the year.
thetemp Posted: 12-07-07 6:45
This was my first show and what a treat, of course I've seen all the dvd's, but wow, what a great live show.

The entrance was the best - I looked over to my right and Dougie was a few feet away making his way to the stage, next thing I know I felt someone moving by me in the crowd... it was Fran. All I could think was - this is amazing.

The band sounded fantastic - played a nice combo of the new and classic stuff. Completely worth the 2 hour trip and the baby$itter.

Cheers
littlecmad Posted: 12-07-07 11:51
That show was Awesome! It was so great to be there for the first show of the tour and they played such a great collection of music from the first album to the newest album. I appreciate them doing that for the loyal long standing fans. The Encore was the best with the band on stage, I wish the show never had to end and that I could go to every show on the tour. Come back agian real soon guys!
breed82966 Posted: 13-07-07 5:31
Ten years ago I went to see Ben Folds Five at the Electric Factory and Travis opened up for them. I've been a fan ever since. Wednesday nights' show was one of the best concerts I've ever attended. From the "Rocky" start to the Pogo Dance finish, the concert was electrifying. They played a great mix of old and new songs and the acoustic set was really nice. It looked like the guys were having a great time and it was contagious. I left the theater in such a great mood and I have'nt come down yet. Hope to see them again soon. Thanks guys for all the music you've made.
JRB4990 Posted: 13-07-07 7:14
This concert was absolutely amazing. I am so glad I got there early enough, I was about six feet from the stage. It was so exciting. This is the first time I had seen Travis live and I had heard how good they were. I was expecting the best and I was not let down in the least. They had a great energy and played a wide variety of songs. I was glad to hear my favorites from "The Man Who" and "The Invisible Band" as well as ones from "Good Feeling" and the two most recent albums. I would've liked to hear "Big Chair" or "Pipe Dreams," but I am not complaining at all.
Their entrance was creative and the whole set was highly entertaining, from Fran's stories, Andy's solo, and Claus' solo was awesome.
I am so fortunate to have gone and I am very grateful to have met the band after the show. They are really nice people. All of them had conversations with fans and it only heightened my appreciation for them and their music.
chriszak Posted: 18-07-07 7:38
I work for Phillyist.com, and reviewed the show. Here's the first 2 paragraphs and a link to the full review. Also, everyone!: Soon enough I'm going to get my interview with Andy Dunlop up there, so keep an eye on that page in a couple days or so.

If you’re Travis, making an entrance through the front of the Electric Factory and weaving your way through an audience is an easy way to stir up some excitement. Simultaneously playing “Gonna Fly Now,” (The “Rocky” Theme) by Bill Conti makes for an even better introduction. Jump up and down on stage with your fists in the air, and you’ve got your Philly fans pulling for you to be good. Show that you’ve got more enthusiasm than your critics pin you for and you’ve won us over. But the build up could have been so much better if they videotaped themselves training in the wilderness and climbing mountains.

As soon as the intro music had served its purpose, Travis jumped into their new romping single “Selfish Jean.” There might not have been a better choice available. (Check out their chuckle-worthy music video of the song, featuring Demetri Martin.) There's a fresh energy present in the song that distinguishes it from any of the other rockers they’ve done in the past. It begins with a drumming rhythm nearly dotted to the “i” in “Lust for Life” by Iggy Pop, and a perfectly snug guitar hook that could be played hundreds of times over provided the same rhythm guitar and bass line were there.

http://phillyist.com/2007/07/18/all_travis_want.php

Setlist:
Selfish Jean
Eyes Wide Open
Writing To Reach You
Love Will Come Through
As You Are
My Eyes
Re-Offender
Side
Driftwood
Good Feeling