Travis

Sunday, June 03, 2007
Rock Am Ring, Nuerburgring-Eifel, DE

Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 5 Upload Photo

Reviews: 5 Post Review
Jewl Posted: 04-06-07 10:20
+5 Votes Login To Vote
My first Travis gig ever (which came quite spontaneously and unexpected hehe)
after I didn't win these tickets for an exclusive gig in May (?) I finally made it to a Travis concert...and it rocked I totally loved it. I'm still blown away. I loooooooved the way how Fran "entertained" the audience between the songs. It was really funny oh and Claus (is that how it's spelled?) did a good job at the piano;)
it was a great mixture of songs ("selfish jean", "driftwood", "side", "sing", "Why does it alway rain on me?"...only to name a few) and I even could convince two friends of the music...we attened some more concerts yesterday but Travis totally made our day...

YOU PUT A SMILE UPON OUR FACE!Thank you sooooooooooo much for that...

I will never forget my first Travis gig:)

cheers
frank-the-tank Posted: 06-06-07 1:52
+6 Votes Login To Vote
Hello Guys!

If someone had told me last week, that I would write a "two thumbs up" - review about the Travis concert at "Rock am Ring" right in this moment, I wouldn't have believed him. I must confess, that I never was the biggest Travis Fan and I've never seen them live. The songs felt a bit too soft to me, I considered Travis to be something like a girl-band that only "softies" and gay men would listen to. =)

But now, I'm sitting here, still euphoric about this awesome gig and hoping to be able to see them soon again. It was through and through very entertaining to watch that band and to listen to Fran’s wonderful singing. In the most cases I don’t like a singer talking too much between the songs, but Fran’s great sense of humour made even the breaks between the songs a big event.

Unfortunately I can’t remember all the songs they played, because I heard a lot of them for the first time. One song, that is burned into my mind is “turn” and I think it was the first time in my life that I was moved to tears at a rock concert. The Lines: “I want to sing,
To sing my song; I want to live in a world where I belong” are of sheer beauty. And from that moment on, I felt that Travis are not one of these “I sing what people want to hear and fake a smile into the cameras” – bands, that make in my opinion 95% of all successful bands. I got the feeling, that Fran Healy and his band members make “real” music, that comes right out of their hearts, that they are singing about things they really care about. Thank you for that!

And Fran, thanks a lot for doing that photo with me and my girlfriend at the scissor sisters concert, it was a big moment for us! You’re probably the most likeable leader of a rock band out there!

Yours sincerely,
Frank

PS: Please Travis, come to the “Highfield”-Festival this Year! It’s in Thuringia, near Erfurt from the 17. to the 19. of August. And it is a lot cosier than “Rock am Ring”, because there are only 20.000 people rocking. We would be very happy to see you there!
alisya Posted: 08-06-07 8:10
+1 Votes Login To Vote
So I'm on student exchange in Germany and had to make this big decision: Watching the Die Ärzte (THE German band) with my German friends play or watching my darlings Travis on stage.

Familiarity and love for this band had me going through about a tonne of (big) Germans to get to the front of this show. I was alone but it was well worth it. The band played a great set which got the crowd swaying, dancing and singing to them. And Klaus(! Klaus! Klaus!) did an excellent job on his solo. I swear the show was so great I had tears in my eyes :)
narayanna Posted: 16-06-07 3:49
oh, wow, this was my first encounter with travis as well, and they were just great! it was a nice break from all the heavy stuff and the constant moshing of the festival! and now that i'm back home i'm dragging my sister to a travis show in toronto :) what can i say? i really did like them, which is very difficult to believe considering i have not heard a single travis song before June 3rd.
r25d01 Posted: 02-11-08 9:18
I know it's more than a year atfer that gig but I just have to write something about my frist two Travis concerts.

Well, first of all, I have been a Travis fan since 2004, but never got the chance to see them live. So when my friends and me talked about the bands we were going to see at Rock am Ring, everybody said withouht a doubt, they'd see "Die Ärzte". Except of me: "Sorry, but I love Travis and I just HAVE to see them live, finally".

So I went to the smaller stage but before I watched some other really good bands (Maximo Park and The Kooks), Travis gave a signing session, which was really exciting for me, because it was a dream for me to meet Travis once. And they were soooo... nice, which make them worth being heroes for many people!
After that, still excited, I enjoyed the other bands. Douglas and Fran seemed to enjoy The Kooks as well, as they watched their whole show.

And then, finally, Travis came on stage. I made to the first row. And it was just beautiful and amazing. Most people went to "Die Ärzte", before Travis but the people watching Travis were very enthusiastic! Probably there were just people who really wanted to see them. I was thrilled about the band's charisma and the emotions they put to each song.
During Why Does It Always Rain On Me everybody jumped up and down. We felt, sang along and danced to every single song and fell in love with Travis even more.

Just thank you, you've been a real highlight at the end of the Festival and made it a perfect first Travis gig for me =)
Thank you as well for the autographs and for being one of the nicest bands in the world!
GET ARCHIVE GIG REVIEWS VIA RSS (RSS?)

ARCHIVE FAQ
December
31 Castlegate, Aberdeen, UK 
30 Barrowlands, Glasgow, UK 
November
26 House Of Blues, San Diego, CA, US 
25 Marquee Theatre , Tempe, AZ, US 
24 House Of Blues, Anaheim, CA, US 
23 The Joint, Las Vegas, NV, US 
21 Wiltern Theatre, Los Angeles, CA, US 
20 The Fillmore, San Francisco, CA, US