Travis

Saturday, October 04, 2008
Pyramids, Portsmouth, UK

Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 43 Upload Photo

Reviews: 13 Post Review
ManMountain Posted: 05-10-08 12:42
+3 Votes Login To Vote
Thanks guys for a splendid evening. you really know how to connect with your audience. Flowers in the window is still ringing in my ears...There are too many highlights to mention, and I can't wait for you to come down to the "sunny south coast" again soon.
PS. be gentle with the "Hairy banjo tuner man", i'm sure he didn't mean to screw up... LOL
PPS. - Portmouth, you know how to POGO, that was cool, wel it was until someone bounced on my toes, ouch!
hb Posted: 05-10-08 1:32
+2 Votes Login To Vote
Travis were fantastic as ever as traditional Glaswegian weather reached the South Coast by the bucket load.

A fine balance of songs from the new album as well as many of the classics.

Hairy banjo..... that takes me back to first year at school in 1984! OMG!!!

U16 girls was great as was Good Feeling and good to hear Last Words and well you can't beat a bit of pogoing. Would have loved to hear Get Up again but next time will have to do.

Pics and video to go up on messageboard soon......

hb

Jimmy_Jimmy Posted: 05-10-08 1:37
+2 Votes Login To Vote
Hi Guys, Thanks for another great show in Portsmouth. Two in a year...can it get any better.

Great show. Sounded great. Of the 3 Travis shows I've been to in the past this was easily the best in every way.

Highlights of the evening would have to be Side, all of the new stuff, Turn and well they were all great really...;)

I was quite impressed with Last Words. I heard this on the album and wasnt really swayed one way or the other with it but after hearing it tonight I think it sounds great...I love the guitar rift.

Crowd really seemed to get into it more as the evening went on.

Hope to see you guys again soon (hopefully again in Portsmouth)...
Fran Posted: 05-10-08 1:55
+5 Votes Login To Vote
Yeeeeeeeeeaaaahhhhh!!!! Portsmouthhhhhhh!!!!
ukmofo Posted: 05-10-08 2:06
+2 Votes Login To Vote
Cinese Blues
J Smith
Something Anything
WTRY
Long Way Down
Re Offender
Love Will Come Through
As You Are
Side
Song To self
Sing
Driftwood
More Than Us
Last Words - Nice one Dougie !
Closer
Good Feeling
Before You Were Young
Turn
===========
I Kissed A Girl
Flowers -AWESOME !!!!
Selfish Jean
Rain - Pogo record set ?

The only thing that could have made it better was if Fran had taken his hat off
Marshallr Posted: 05-10-08 3:25
+1 Votes Login To Vote
I'll keep it short and sweet. Absolutley fantastic!!!
Please come back to us again!
lesley Posted: 05-10-08 4:30
+1 Votes Login To Vote
Excellent gig in the torrential weather! Great choice of songs and good response from the crowd (especially the impressive pogo-ing for WDIAROM). Nice cover of Katy Perry, fantastic tohear good feeling and U16 girls, and Before We Were Young was immense! As ever, a great gig!!! (despite the bus not stopping for me after....!)
lynnu2bono Posted: 05-10-08 4:36
+1 Votes Login To Vote
What a brilliant show!!!! Thank you - one of the best gigs I have been to in ages - Have video of Flowers in the window - and the pogo ing was wonderful!!!
rebekah Posted: 05-10-08 8:14
+1 Votes Login To Vote
That is the BESTESTTTTT gig i have EVER been to!!
I was singing to every song and me and my sister were the crazy chicks at the front on Dougie's side waving our arms to EVERY song :D
(Dougie-if it was us you were smiling at -and i think it was- THANK YOU :D)

Amaziinngggg setlist! Every song i loved and couldn't have hasked for a better one!

Fran- You played beautifully, yet be careful when you are trying to walk on the speakers or such like :P

All in all, i loved it from start to finish!!! Managed to get myself a mug :D but they had run out of bags :(

I want to go to another one!!!!!
Soo SOOOOOO AMAZINNGG :D

*oo and we got Dougie's plectrum!!! :D:D:D:D*
MargaretO Posted: 05-10-08 10:12
+2 Votes Login To Vote
Oh my God! This was my third Travis gig and the other two were so mind blowing that I was telling myself not be disappointed if this one wasn’t as good. I mean come on, they can’t be great every time? Can they? Surely they have ‘off nights’?? Nights when they’re tired, grumpy, sick of it???

Given last night’s performance, I’m pretty confident the answer to that is no. Their energy and enthusiasm were yet again completely infectious. I’m going to be in a good mood for weeks!

I sound like Martin from The Simpsons when I say it had the magic of a hundred childhood Christmases. But it really did!! Hearing each song was like unwrapping a present. It was so exciting. And the band seemed to get a real kick out of performing the new songs.

For the first time ever I filmed some songs and listening to them now it has finally become quite apparent that I cannot sing and that I most definitely should not be allowed to sing in the presence of others! I sincerely apologise to everyone standing near me. If you hear me at another gig (I’ll be the one hollering painfully in your ear), please feel free to thump me. The worst thing is I wanted to post the clips on YouTube, but now they’re going to be a source of merriment only to my mocking siblings.

When Fran came on stage to introduce the support band, it seemed as if the crowd hadn’t quite noticed that he was standing there and there was a very slight but amusing delayed reaction. What I like most about Republic of Tigers was that almost every band member was belting away on a drum at one point or another. It sounded great and looked like seriously good fun.

Travis opened with Chinese Blues. The beat, the rhythm, the lyrics, the stage drenched in red light…what a brilliant song to start with! They performed a good handful of the new numbers interspersed with old favourites and at least one oldie that I hadn’t heard live before, U-16 Girls. I “nah nah nahed” myself hoarse. Once again I must apologise.

I think the magic of the concert lies not only in the songs, but in the spirit in which they are performed. When introducing “Closer” Fran said that concerts bring people together who don’t know each other, but that we have all have one thing in common. I think the fact that he said ‘we’ is very significant. There is a definite sense from the band that they are very happy to be there and very happy to play for us. This isn’t always the case. I’ve been to concerts, where there was a strong vibe of a band simply going through the motions. Not Travis. They seem to have as much fun as the audience.

And then of course there’s Dougie. I was at his side of the stage so I hope you’ll forgive me that this review finishes with gushing praise for the need to know bassist. He has buckets of charisma, connects with the audience without saying a word and has a smile that would melt ice...swoon
LorMac Posted: 06-10-08 2:40
+1 Votes Login To Vote
Having seen Travis many, many times over the past 12 years I must say that they just get better! I had seen the set lists from previous dates and was worried they wouldn't do some of my favourites but they didn't disappoint me!! Some highlights for me were Writing to reach you, U16 girls, Good feeling, Falling down, As you are and Flowers in the window. The new stuff sounded wicked too, and to top it all off I caught Andy's plectrum! I caught Dougie's last year in Bournemouth - now I just need one from Fran to have a complete set...
LorMac Posted: 06-10-08 2:40
+1 Votes Login To Vote
Having seen Travis many, many times over the past 12 years I must say that they just get better! I had seen the set lists from previous dates and was worried they wouldn't do some of my favourites but they didn't disappoint me!! Some highlights for me were Writing to reach you, U16 girls, Good feeling, Falling down, As you are and Flowers in the window. The new stuff sounded wicked too, and to top it all off my sister caught Andy's plectrum! I caught Dougie's last year in Bournemouth - now we just need one from Fran to have a complete set...
loislane Posted: 06-10-08 7:33
+1 Votes Login To Vote
cant thank you enough for a fantastic night. your support band brilliant too. N had pleasure of bumping into the lead singer looking to hav a cigarette before show! Didntrealise he was a band member until he was on stage!! great hat.

please come back to Pompey, you were brilliant and we havnt stopped singing.

love & sunshine Karen & Niki xxx
GET ARCHIVE GIG REVIEWS VIA RSS (RSS?)

ARCHIVE FAQ
December
12 Ancienne Belgique, Brussels, BE 
10 Melkweg, Amsterdam, NL 
08 Rockefeller, Oslo, NO 
07 Vega, Copenhagen, DK 
November
28 Academy, Glasgow, UK 
22 Rockpalast Festival, Essen, DE 
21 FM4 Acoustic Show, Vienna, AT