Travis

Saturday, July 26, 2008
Pentaport Rock Festival, Incheon City, KR

Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 107 Upload Photo

Reviews: 12 Post Review
Hiromi-Y Posted: 27-07-08 4:16
+7 Votes Login To Vote
I can't speak/read a Korean language, it was serious to go to the festival place by the train and bus, but I thank that the show on today was able to come to here with a really really splendid thing! Perhaps I will be in 5 fingers in the show that I went to see it!! I felt Korean power very much!! Oneself got power and thought that a member of TRAVIS enjoyed it in the first above all. The impression of the festival was very good, too.

H x
goodtoseeu Posted: 27-07-08 4:39
+8 Votes Login To Vote
yes! :)
Pentaport festival is very very good festival. I really hoped to see travis and I saw them!!
tears tears :(
I sang with you and travis.
It's very impressive.
Maybe he's too.
Thanks for coming to south Korea.
If you come to south Korea soon, I enjoy your music too.
I will wait you always.
dyeworld Posted: 27-07-08 9:30
+7 Votes Login To Vote
It was a Fantastic Night!!!!!!!!!!!
The Festival was also Fantastic!

10:00 pm. TRAVIS appeared on the stage.
I can't speak the feeling when they were on stage.

First song was Chinese Blue.
They Sang many songs and 4 songs from New Album(J.Smith, Something Anything, Longway Down, Song to Self).

TRAVIS Showed their best music & performance.

It was the day My dream came true!
I saw TRAVIS for myself!!!!

Thank You, TRAVIS!
purplesky Posted: 27-07-08 12:19
+11 Votes Login To Vote
Yesterday was the day my all time favorite, "the one and only" Travis visiting my country.

Travis was the headliner today at the festival, and it was awesome!!!! I was so touched by the wonderful show.

I didn't know there were so many Travis Fans in Korea because we rarely get to face Travis in the mass media. So happy to see the fans..We were so fireed up when Travis showed up in the stage, and I think Travis was a bit suprised to see us going so enthusiastic.

We sang a long toghether, and especially when Travis sang Closer, Sing, Turn, WDIAROM, it was fantastic..
(these songs are quite easy to sing along for non-english speakers compared to other songes .. because it goes like
"Closer...Closer...", "Sing..sing..sing.." "Turn..turn..turn.." hehe)

One of the fans (she's a manger of one of the internet fan sites of Korea) gave a T-shirt. "Travis" was written in Korean Language, and Fran wore the T-shirt after a break... and he asked " Who made this T-shirt, it's beautiful".
She's the one with ID: "Mayfly", a member of travisonline. ^o^ So happy for her!!

Travis sang a few songs from the new album including J.smith. Sweet!!

Oh.. Fran said they would come back soon. He said "It's been so cool...Sorry for taking too long to come here, we were walking all the way..haha and we will see you really soon.. don't forget us.. ".

Can I believe this????? Really??? Thanks a lot Fran... I can't wait to see you again..... Don't forget US.

Thank you Travis for such a nice show..and Thank you for singing Slideshow & Blue Flashing light! one of top favorite travis songs.. I don't know if Fran had read my post requesting for Slideshow. You sang the song anyway..

"I can sleep tonight... everybody says everything is alright.. still I can't close my eyes... I'm seeing Travis in my dream.. Travis.. Where have you gone, I get the strangest feeling you belong...Why doest it begin to rain on me again? Is it because Travis has left?"

Fran,Dougie, Andy, Neil, you will come and see us real soon??! Please come to Seoul next time..

I made a stupid mistake, though. I took lots and lots of pictures and made a video of the show, but I broke the memory card... and lost all of them.. I uploaded pics from the media instead. :(

Set list :

Chinese Blue
Pipe Dreams
Writing to Reach you
Selfish Jean
Eyes Wide Open
Beautiful Occupation
Side
Love Will Come Through
Closer
Sing
J.Smith
Something Anything
Longway Down
Song to Self
Re-Offender
Driftwood
All I want to do is Rock
Turn
Flowers In The Window
Slide Show
Blue Flashing Light
Why Does It Always Rain On Me
africa-boy Posted: 28-07-08 4:28
+7 Votes Login To Vote

last saturday was day of the day in my life.
I've been waiting travis for 10 years, since 1998.

I cannot believe that, Travis is in my sight, within only 2yard

Fran said in the song, 'slide show'

"I hope it's not the last time"

when i heard that,i felt shiver, i was so so so damn excited.
and he said, we'll see very very soon.
I feel I was in dreaming.
only i remember is that lyric.

was it true?
did I had a dream?
i can't belive it, Travis was in the land where i can see.

hanne97 Posted: 28-07-08 12:00
+4 Votes Login To Vote
I can't say anything about your performance. You guys just made me crazy!!!! I still can't believe that I saw you guys. It feel like just a dream.
I've been waiting for you visiting to Korea for a long time. It took really long time, but it was definately worth waiting. However I really hope to see you soon again:)
Actually, some fans including me came to the hotel in front of the show place, but a staff in the hotel told us you'd just left for Seoul. T.T
Again it was just great to see you guys in Korea, and thanks for everything that you did in the show.
Hope you had a great time in Korea as well as we did.
Take care and Cheers!!
gugushigushi Posted: 29-07-08 9:35
+4 Votes Login To Vote
This is my mind's shouts: "Hold this time. What a great day! There's no more to change. Just like this time."
sing12345 Posted: 31-07-08 12:10
+4 Votes Login To Vote
TRAVIS is the best!!!! TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!TRAVIS is the best!!!!
yoco Posted: 02-08-08 6:20
+4 Votes Login To Vote
Show was fantastic!
Travis, I can't believe that I met you in Korea.It was my best day ever.
I appreciate for your taking part in this performance.
A lot of Korean fans of have been waiting for you.
I know it won't be easy for you to come back to Korea, but I surely hope you do.

sungsik Posted: 02-08-08 8:01
+5 Votes Login To Vote

I had been waiting for this moment for 10 years!!
You guys are the best.
there is nothing to explain..
miky Posted: 04-08-08 8:28
+5 Votes Login To Vote
Thanks for coming to Korea.
I can't believe that I heard you sing , saw you, and sang a song with you.
I was so happy when we sang "closer" together.

Thanks for smiling at me.
Thanks for speaking in Korean.
(Jae mi sseo yo? / An nyung ha sei yo? / Garm sa hab mi da.)
You were so lovely : D

Thanks for saying that you are going to come back to Korea again.
Korean fans are spending days watching the recorded videos and radios after you left.

I can never forget your concert on July 26, 2008.
we are waiting for your Pentaport Rock Fest's review

I'm planning to go to England to study this November.
I hope my plan become real so I can watch your concert in London.
Dont come to Korea when Im not here. ^^;;
See you soon and don't forget Korea.

mayfly Posted: 17-08-08 11:44
+7 Votes Login To Vote
I've always wanted to leave my own review here but it took so many years to do so.

When the official lineup was announced, I couldn't believe they would really come. I'd only got suspicious feeling that some bad fortune would disturb my long-time wish as it had done before. But the 26th of July was getting closer day by day and the fans started making fan materials and their expectation was piling up on the fansite.

"Are they REALLY coming……?????"

I'd been involved with a new project at work and hadn't got any dayoff over a month. Always worked late. But I wanted to prepare something. Gift or anything they would like. I had to hurry up.

A week ahead to the festival:
I finalised the concept design of the flag and t-shirts and placed orders around 11pm. The manufacturers seemed to be irritated with my late call but they promised to make it work by Friday, a day before the festival.

2 days ahead to the festival:
The outputs were delivered on Thursday. Super quick!!! Me? Still worked late.

1 day ahead to the festival:
Around 3pm on Friday, while I was thinking of ‘OK, I would finish work exactly at 6pm and rush to buy some wrapping paper.’, my boss approached to me and said,

"You've just got a business trip arranged on Sunday. Come to the office tomorrow. We’ve got more works for the final touch before the trip."

WHAT THE F*CK!!!!!!!!!!

I’d love to shoot him. Seriously. I thought I could. We had a short argument and he only allowed me to finish the work anyhow before the trip. The Saturday should be defended and I did. Phew~

It rained heavily all the evening, and I was completely soaked after wandering around the streets looking for wrapping paper.

Got back home, I packed up 5 pieces of t-shirts for Travis and Claes, and another 5 of fansite t-shirts, with 2 small and big Scottish flags on which TRAVIS was printed. And I added a card too, even which took quite long time just for a silly short message. The message should be short and simple, and sincere. But as always, my writing was hopeless and useless.
Done anyway. Tension was growing.

“Ah, I’m seeing them tomorrow.”

Today is the day for dancing and for singing:
Got up early. Actually slept only a couple of hours because of the work. Weather? Still raining.

I arrived at the festival site before the noon and found a huge Travis flag was flying at the front queue of the main stage. Must be the fansite members. It’s the first time for me to meet them, even though we’ve known each other for many years online. Great to be with them, all wearing Travis t-shirts, chatting all the way. We were all fully ready to lose our Travis live virginity. Haha~

My big Travis flag was honorably(!) tied up on the fence heading Andy’s side and he got many photo shoot by the press. How photogenic!! The small one was handed over to a girl in the front line, so that Travis might recognise many fans were there at Andy’s side. My package for the t-shirts was in the locker and I had no idea how to deliver them to the band. Anyway I brought them soon and tied up next to the big flag.

An opening band was on stage soon, and we'd got about 10 more hours to go. I felt dizzy and sleepy. Already knackered. I might be too old to do this.

Around 8pm just before another show started, my package found its way to the band. A festival crew helped delivery, and fans around the front line gave crazy shouting and screaming at the moment.

Is his name Nick? Couldn’t remember his name but the guy on the Alley Palley DVD came on stage for soundcheck around 9pm. Good to see him still working with the band. He carefully handled Andy’s gear. Andy’s Gibsons, his Orange amp and THE BANJO were standing in front of me. MY GOD!!!!!!!

That last one hour seemed to be lasting forever. But,

“NEXT, TRAVIS”

When these two words appeared on the screen, the crowd got really crazy, screaming all the way. I actually worried a bit if people got quiet down, but no need to do that.

“TRAVIS!! TRAVIS!! TRAVIS!! TRAVIS!! TRAVIS!! TRAVIS!! TRAVIS!!”

Did the band hear us calling them?

10 minutes, 5 minutes, 4, 3, 2,,,,,,,,,,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,10:00…!!!!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The stage got dark. The roar of the crowd was almost tearing my ears. And the voice from Zeitgeist, and also on a summary video clip of the February club tour, was playing.

“I Am A Human Being. God Damn It. My Life Has Value!”

I just realised the summary vid on youtube was from the band or Travis adopted it from that. Sorta typical hide-and-seek by Travis.

Chinese Blues was the perfect song for opening. I’d been really hooked on this song and it sounded just amazing. Should be the follow-up of Something Anything, I hope.

Fran rushed into song by song. He said something in Korean but I didn’t know he tried some Korean greetings. Even though I was in the second front at Andy’s side, the crowd ate out Fran’s voice. I just heard Fran saying ‘Are you having fun?’ in Korean when he got back to the stage after rushing along the fence during Andy’s amazing Eyes Wide Open guitar solo.

“Yeah, Fran. I’m having fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

I wasn’t really keen on Selfish Jean and Closer, especially Closer sounded rather soppy to me. But the crowd loved these two. Their sing-along was absolutely superb and the vibes was unexplainable. I almost squeezed to death. During Closer, Fran let the crow sing a part and he seemed to be really enjoying it. We did pretty good, didn't we, Fran??

Andy gave his huge grin and clapping to our side many times and Fran sang often facing toward us. Dougie and Claes were too far from me and Neil was hidden behind his drum set.

Travis had always existed in my computer. I had to boot my computer first to pick up anything about them, but at the moment, we were under the same sky breathing same air and sing same songs at the same time. All the binary combinations of 0 and 1 about them had finally become alive. Their words and songs spread in the air. Every single bit of sounds from their instruments and Fran’s voice filled the space. Time was there or it flowed away fast.

Many classic Travis hits with some new songs were played.

Chinese Blues, Pipe Dreams, Writing to Reach You, Selfish Jean, Eyes Wide Open, The Beautiful Occupation, Side, Love Will Come Through, Closer, Sing, J.Smith, Something Anything, Long Way Down, Song to Self, Re-offender, Driftwood, All I Want to Do is Rock,,,,

Turn closed down the stage. The roar went up and the band disappeared backstage. People started to call them again. When the band appeared again for encore, haha~, that’s my moment. Fran was wearing my t-shirts. How sweet.

Flowers in the Window, Slide Show, Blue Flashing Light had a go. Before the last song , of course WDIARON, and the last pogoing, Fran gave us say-goodbye.

“So,,, It’s been so cool. You rock. Whoever made the t-shirts, who made the t-shirts? Who was it? Is it you? No? You? Whoever made the t-shirts, thank you. It’s beautiful. We will be back soon. Sorry it’s taken so long to come and play for you. It’s quite a long time. But we’re walking all the way. Takes long time and my feet are killing me.
So, see you really soon. Soon. Don’t forget us. See you soon.”

You're never late, Fran. And thank you so much for coming to us. Your music, words and everything right there,,,, that was the best moment I wanted to hold forever.

After the show, I and some fans wandered around the stage, looking for a chance to meet the band. But a festival crew told us Travis was gone to a hotel. So, we went to the hotel but too late. They’d already left to another hotel. We chatted for a while about the day, how splendid it was and so on. Then people found their way home.

So, my "Midsummer nights dreamin'" had ended.

Next day:
But a weird thing happened next day at the airport.

I was pushing my trolley toward a boarding desk because I was due on a business trip to Malaysia that day. And I found 5 very familiar faces were standing there. They all looked delighted. Fran and Dougie were talking and laughing all the way, and Andy was sitting on his luggage, Neil and Claes were standing next to them.

My supervisor led me to a next boarding desk to Travis. That’s really weird, funny, miraculous, like walking over the moon,,, whatever I express,,,, I couldn’t believe in what I saw.

They said goodbye to the crowd and disappeared backstage and I thought that’s the last. But,,, they were there, just next to me.

Actually I was carrying my The Invisible Band CD to get autograph in case I met the band at the airport, but it’s just kind of my wish and I didn’t really expect it’s gonna happen, but it DID happen. But how stupid I was. I couldn’t say anything to them. I just watched them as like I didn’t know who they were.

In the mean time, directing managers and other supervisors came and I forever lost a chance to say to Travis. A guy came to the band and gave them tickets-look-alike things, then Travis disappeared again through the gate.

On the scheduling board, a sign for a flight to Thailand was flipping over to ‘boarding’, and I was standing there, watching that for a while.
GET ARCHIVE GIG REVIEWS VIA RSS (RSS?)

ARCHIVE FAQ
December
12 Ancienne Belgique, Brussels, BE 
10 Melkweg, Amsterdam, NL 
08 Rockefeller, Oslo, NO 
07 Vega, Copenhagen, DK 
November
28 Academy, Glasgow, UK 
22 Rockpalast Festival, Essen, DE 
21 FM4 Acoustic Show, Vienna, AT 
16 Festival Movistar Musica, Caracas, VE