Travis

Wednesday, February 06, 2008
Junction, Cambridge, UK

Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 39 Upload Photo

Reviews: 5 Post Review
cobbo Posted: 07-02-08 9:18
-11 Votes Login To Vote
Hi, i realise this isn't the right place for this post but didn't know where else i could post. I am going to my first Travis gig tonight in Brighton tonight and i was wondering if anyone could post a review of last nights gig including set list.

Thanks
mingsy_sar Posted: 07-02-08 12:07
+10 Votes Login To Vote
After three and a half years Travis were back at the Junction, a long wait, in more ways than one, but well worth it. They were ably supported by Palace Fires who will hopefully enjoy the same success that they richly deserve as Travis' previous opening act, The Magic Numbers. Their soaring vocals, storming guitar riffs and the subtle beauty of their understated and humble performance perfectly complemented the new material with which Travis opened their gig. There were yearning ballad lyrics amongst the rocking chords, anthemic crescendos and soothing sensual sounds that combined to create a stirring, soulful and overall genuine and natural set, a welcome sight amidst the current music scene. If justice is served, Palace Fires will light up the industry with a flame trail which all other bands should follow.

There have been many changes in the lives of Neil, Andy, Dougie and Fran since they were last at the Junction, but I'm happy to say that nothing has changed in their performance, in the best possible way. As always they talked to the audience, presented a high energy, avid and satisfying set, which sometimes bordered on method acting, but they generally had a lot of fun on stage. Travis were engaging from the first, capturing the audience in the wave of their passion, energy and sheer buoyancy, leaving their listeners to just go with the flow of their music. They began with their new tracks from the upcoming album with no introduction, allowing the songs to speak for themselves. This has always been Travis' strength, their music is the forefront of who they are, epitomised by the album title: 'The Invisible Band'. The second half of the gig was given over to the more familiar songs, from each of their albums, but they decided not to include the most famous as they quite rightly commented that they now have an extensive roll call of tracks to choose from. As Fran stated, they don't want to cling onto their "security blanket". The new tunes were familiar in themselves, but they departed from last year’s 'The Boy With No Name', just like each new album over the years has built on and moved on from the one before. It was a privilege and a relief to hear their new music, and see it so warmly accepted, many other bands should take note and live by their example.

After a brief hiatus, the band launched into their 'familiar' songs, bouncing around between their albums lending the gig an eclectic, entertaining and nostalgic atmosphere; anyone seeing the many guitar changes can never question Travis' range. They began with 'Sing' a predictable but wise choice which ensured a high level of enthusiasm that lasted for the rest of the set. Then there was the thumping 'Eyes Wide Open' from the newest album, a surprising yet entirely welcome inclusion of 'The Last Laugh of the Laughter' and the fantastic 'Love Will Come Through'. I loved that they brought in the gorgeous bonus track from the latest album entitled 'Sailing Away', which hopefully will enjoy the same embracing from fans as 'Blue Flashing Light'. Memories of 'Side' are now given an added poignancy after Live8 as the lyrics were so apt. I was alternately bewitched by the heartbreaking and soul-wrenching performance of the lesser know track 'The Fear' and delighted when they performed by favourite song 'Writing to Reach You'. Fran gave a crushing, overwhelming and passionate acoustic version of 'Falling Down', uplifted by a raucous rendition of 'Lola'. The amusingly satirical 'Selfish Jean' rounded off the set and the encore was 'All I Want To Do Is Rock' from their first album, bringing the gig full circle, with Andy jumping into the crowd. I just can’t wait for the new album to come out now. I wonder if they heard my friend shout out "I’m from Glasgow…"
johngardner Posted: 07-02-08 8:02
+4 Votes Login To Vote
I have to agree fully with Mingsy, fantastic performance and wished i had tickets for Brighton and the others, one of the most enjoyable evenings I have had at many venues, Can't wait for the new album as rarely have i heard new music that is instant buying material.

The passion and shear love of what these guy's do has made my life happier the last 24 hours and the ipod is playing endless TRAVIS, Fantastic night and thanks,
Nikki107 Posted: 08-02-08 1:24
+2 Votes Login To Vote
This is my first post on here, but just felt the need to share weds' nights performance. It was amazing. I was on the front row (I got some cracking pics and videos which I would love to share with you all) and I thought the guys were amazing. It was only the 3rd time I've seen them but definately the best time - the energy was amazing, and for a 'rehearsal tour' I cannot believe how much effort they put into it...I was so impressed. The new album sounds fantastic I cannot wait to have it in my hands! Well worth waiting in the cold for 2 hours, I would've waited 10 :-)
denisefarren Posted: 09-02-08 7:33
+3 Votes Login To Vote
very impressed with all the new material
managed to get right to the front after a 2 hour wait but boy was it worth it Travis at their best have been loads of times to see them and this was mega! and not a drop of rain unlike last year in Sherwood forest! Can't wait for the release of the new album.
GET ARCHIVE GIG REVIEWS VIA RSS (RSS?)

ARCHIVE FAQ
December
12 Ancienne Belgique, Brussels, BE 
10 Melkweg, Amsterdam, NL 
08 Rockefeller, Oslo, NO 
07 Vega, Copenhagen, DK 
November
28 Academy, Glasgow, UK 
22 Rockpalast Festival, Essen, DE 
21 FM4 Acoustic Show, Vienna, AT 
16 Festival Movistar Musica, Caracas, VE