Travis

Friday, September 26, 2008
ABC, Glasgow, UK

Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 29 Upload Photo

Reviews: 3 Post Review
kevvvy Posted: 27-09-08 1:31
+4 Votes Login To Vote
A fantastic gig. If ever the good old Barrowlands is closed as has been proposed over the years then venues such as ABC are great alternatives! Not a patch on the Barras mind you but better pubs lol
Anyways seen a few songs from the instore and made my way to Sauchiehall Street vis a few pubs. You know what Glasgow is like lol! In my mind I thought Travis would be on stage at 8.45-9ish. Decided to hit the ABC at 8 so we could get used to the new venue. Got the first round in and was surprised the lights dimmed and Travis came on at 8.20. Surprised but delighted! Stood at the stairs to the bar area with my sis & Aunt until the 3rd tune when I had to down to the crowd. Thanks to all the folk we had a laugh with there. The humour was great even though it was a busy place! Stood at the sound desk for a few songs then struggled to find the toilet. Cheers to the security blokes who were cool all night! Also if I spoke to you at the bar tonight then a big HELLO! I was the big bald bloke with the white shirt. Got a few folk served before me and vice versa. The usual Travis community spirit was eveident!
So anyway back to this gig! Chinese Blues is huge! Its going to be a big Travis tune!Love it after a couple of plays, Not good at this old setlist thing but J.Smith was next then Selfish Jean. This was brave stuff playing 2 'new' songs to a crowd that probably was only 50-60% aware of the tunes. Then the old favs came out. Writing To Reach You which is still my old fav Travis tune. Then the gig was altered between old hits and new tracks. Wish I could rememeber most of them but all I remember is the encore was :
I kissed a girl (Fran & Andy)
Falling Down
Tied To The 90s
Why Does It Always Rain On Me

By that time I had a few pics and plenty of vids. If anyone seen a drunk bald guy shouting 'How do I get out?' that was me. I as genuine lol! Oh and also a big hello to the cool dude I spoke to about Kings Of Leon getting out. Also hello to the girls I got served and helped me getting served at the bar!
Anyway a gig on a par with anything outside the Barrowlands, Had a few beers in the local Wetherspoons then went for a bite to eat in Subway. Noticed the tour bus was still there so we got a bite and decided to wait there for our taxi. After a bit of banter with a few folk that weren't getting into the club night in ABC1 we were taxi watching! Then out of nowhere Dougie came out. What a guy. Had so much time for everybody going past. Folk were so respectful of the fact he was there with his family but I suppose at the same time it was a pain lol. So Dougie happily posed for a pic. I used to work beside a friend of Dougie and brought it up. Was so cool making a connection to an idol like that! Thanks to his family for making it an enjoyable experience to saddo's like me lol. Then Fran appeared out of nowhere! He made a sharp exit though but only so he could get his case into the bus and get organised. Like a groupie we stood at the side of the bus and asked for a picture please. Fran to his great credit promised he would pose for pics and he did so. Got a great pic with him and also with my aunt. Capped off a great night.
Fran if you are reading this then can I apologise for sounding like a bit of a prat when waiting for the pic! It was the drink talking lol. I never wanted a Celtic scarf round your neck and that was out of character for me! Will be eternally greatfull for the pics though. Had a blast outside with the crew too! Hope the jaunt to Manchester is anjoyable for you :)
paul_c Posted: 27-09-08 8:42
+5 Votes Login To Vote
For the first time in a long time, a Travis gig moved me to tears.

More Than Us was beautiful, and whilst there are other highlights, nothing tops that
Safe Side Posted: 27-09-08 9:25
Not much i can say about this gig that will add to the Edinburgh gig they were totaly amazing again its really the best ive seen the guys, this gig just edges the night before as they played Falling Down which i was so gutted they didnt play last night, the crowd was also slightly more up for it but i guess thats a friday night in Glasgow for you. Once again amazing i hope they guys are back soon
GET ARCHIVE GIG REVIEWS VIA RSS (RSS?)

ARCHIVE FAQ
December
12 Ancienne Belgique, Brussels, BE 
10 Melkweg, Amsterdam, NL 
08 Rockefeller, Oslo, NO 
07 Vega, Copenhagen, DK 
November
28 Academy, Glasgow, UK 
22 Rockpalast Festival, Essen, DE 
21 FM4 Acoustic Show, Vienna, AT 
16 Festival Movistar Musica, Caracas, VE