Monday, October 11, 2004
Leadmill, Sheffield, UK

Support: Magic Numbers
View Setlist
Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 67 Upload Photo

Reviews: 30 Post Review
Ruudio Posted: 12-10-04 12:30
Wow what an amazing night! I'm still on a high from it! Best Travis gig I've ever been to and it was my forth one! Was right by the barrier in front of Dougie! Managed 2 get a setlist at the end of the gig and then i met Magic Numbers :) Yay!
jonsheff Posted: 12-10-04 1:16
Really enoyed tonight. Great atmosphere and it sounded fantastic! Was lucky enough to get a good view near the front. Best gig I have been to in a very long time. All the photo's I took were a bit crap tho but got some good ones of the guys busking earlier in the day so I'm happy.
Thanks again guys for coming back to the small venues, was great. Especially loved '20' one of the encore songs. was hoping it would be played. Sounded great even withough the PA and everyone managed to keep quiet so we could all enjoy it. Also, well done to Fran for stopping 30 seconds into Tied to the 90's to stop two guys from kicking off trying to get the best view...!
Great gig!!!
Fran Posted: 12-10-04 2:42
Great Pics, Mike. Sorry not to see you after the show tonight. We had to make tracks to get back to London before the drivers time was up. Had a top show tonight by the way. Thankyou Sheffield. 240 quid. Way-Hayyy.
Louise Posted: 12-10-04 8:47
Another fantastic gig guys, well done.
Special thanks to Fran and Dougie for coming out and chatting, signing stuff & photos whilst we shivered in the cold South Yorkshire air o/s the venue.

Thanks again to Chris, Giles & other members of the crew we met for taking pity on me & NCD and showing us round the tour bus and making us a lovely cup of tea ;-)

Fran was "MAD FER IT" last night which was great to see & well done for stopping those blokes from possibly coming to blows mid Ties to the 90's.

Special mention to Fran doing "20", no mic, no PA, superb stuff despite the hum of the air con system.

Andy coming down the barrier and letting us play his guitar during AIWDIR!! Ace..

The energy and enthusiasm you all put into your gigs never ceases to amaze me. Thanks a million.

Louise xx

Good luck with remaining dates on the tour and look forward to the new material & tour dates next year.
adrienne Posted: 12-10-04 10:25
Absolutley fantastic show, Stood at the back and still had a great view, small venues beat stadium shows by far...... Support act Magic Numbers were brilliant too... Enjoy your ?240 boys !!!!!! xxxx
abigail11 Posted: 12-10-04 10:50
my first travis show and was great... just as my bro said it would be :D love to see again , amazin atmosphere, amazin band, amazing songs just WOW
Thankyou for the pleasure xxxx
Brock Posted: 12-10-04 12:02
It was my first time seein u guys and i have to say it was the greatest show i have ever seen. Im on an absolute high even now, great tunes. The small venues really do beat the stadiums, cant wait to see the u guys again. what a wicked way to spend my 21st birthday, cheers guys, not gonna forget it, hope to see u again soon. top marks to fran for doing twenty unplugged, amazing!
toffeenose Posted: 12-10-04 12:12
great gig lads, top encore, well battled with the air con when doing 20...........hope you enjoyed it as much as i did............when is the b sides album?
mark lyall Posted: 12-10-04 12:33
top gig, saw them the last time at the leadmill (just when 'the man who came out).
loved '20', apart from the prat at the back who wanted to talk all the way through it. can't believe that some people can pay to see a gig and stand and chatter. nearly as bad as people who text there mates while a band is on.

anyways,
travis were ace, me & my wife were signing along, 'happy' was great cos we had it at our wedding while walking down the aisle after getting hitched a coupla months ago.
and 'all i want to do is rock' rocked big time,
top gig glad to see you are still doing smaller venues and 'keeping it real'
the magic numbers sounded ace too, can't wait for the album.

mark
KingBarnes Posted: 12-10-04 1:11
Third time now and you just get better and better.

To see you in such a small venue was great - last two times it has been in the wide open spaces of The Dome in Doncaster.

Fran - you are a funny guy. Just wish some people would shut up and listen when you talk about the songs rather than shout inanely or scream random comments.

Was singing along to each and every song - absolutely fantastic evening for me and my partner.

We even named our cat Travis (now dead unfortunately). How sad is that?

Mind you, he could have been called Stereophonics or something of that ilk instead....

Thanks again for a great night.
Richie C Posted: 12-10-04 1:41
What a top night, especially all the older stuff from the first album.Took me back to 1997 when you were on the Paul Weller 'Day at the races' at the don valley stadium when it rained all day.
Brilliant
vodkastar Posted: 12-10-04 2:07
You were most definatly 'avin it last night guys!
stevenwood Posted: 12-10-04 3:07
Well boys what a gig that was! You were really going for it
I have been to many gigs in my time (Bowie - as Ziggy U2 Led Zep Pink Floyd Strokes Peppers etc etc) and I was a little apprehensive in my virgin Travis state (Radio 1 liked you!!! and that is usually the kiss of death) but you guys blew me away with a gig that is now up there in my personal top three
Fran - we were under the air con and your solo still sounded superb. Everyone was together and the sound was excellent. Thanks to you all for a great night I will be looking out for your gigs in the future
Jacko_h Posted: 12-10-04 4:48
What a night, couldn't believe how good it was, my first travis gig and i managed to get on the front row infront of dougie!! n he was definately "avin it" wen e wer on singin!! brilliant impressions of oasis or manchester scene!! overall a fantastic night! Andy was Lovin his guitar solos!! with a great idea to let the audience play! brilliant! CUMMON ?240
tinysalmon Posted: 12-10-04 4:56
I have seen Travis four times now (Sheffield Arena supporting Oasis in 1997, my first ever gig, Glastonbury 2000, Donny Dome earlier this year and the Leadmill) and like a fine wine, Travis improve with age! Guys, you were brilliant! Fran, I was the one who shouted that that humming noise was their air conditioning!

Me and my friend had an argument after the gig cause we'd both had a bit too much to drink, so what you said about 'Side' had much relevence the next morning.

We've made up now!

Thanks for playing the Leadmill!
Edna Krabappel Posted: 12-10-04 5:13
Fantastic night.
Must confess I went with a mate that likes you. Before last night, you were one of those bands that I would have said "Oh yeah, I like them as well, got their albums", but from now on I'll definitely say you are one of my favourites. Relating the "We're not Rage against the machine you know" bit to my mate today made both of us cry with laughter. Only crap bit was standing behind a very tall man but that's what you get for being short. Remembered that I has seen you live before at "Day at the races" in the July rain with Paul Weller in 1997?
Well done for not disappearing up your own backsides since then. I will be back to see you next year. ;-)

Lisa G Posted: 12-10-04 7:15
Guys, wot can i say... brill gig!!
lurved the acoustic version of "20" and of course my fav song which u played last (bit of a rocker). Just a bit of advise to fran.. wear trousers dat fit u properly !!
Thanx for being so down to earth unlike other bands that will not be mentioned.

Hope i see ya all soon xxx
travis_coops Posted: 12-10-04 9:57
wish i could have seen them busk left my humble home in huddersfield met my mate in barnsley then off we went wow what a show my question is have travis ever had a bad show b4? everytime ive seen them they have bein awsome last nite was just out of this world top class boys!! see you next time round
Sara Anna Posted: 12-10-04 9:57
Well I actually wasn't going to this show. I had been to the Manchester gig the night before and was on my way home via Sheffield so I could see the busking. Busking was brilliant, apart from the camera men getting in everyones way, I know they have a job to do but they can be so rude. They made lots of money at this one, Fran made some extra money for the big issue by selling a few kisses too. I even got interviewed for the local news. I hate that, you find yourself in front of a TV camera and your mind goes completely blank! Errrr, "I'm a big fan yes, hello mum" Anyway ended up with a ticket for the show and having to phone my boss and beg for another day off work, bet they make me work twice as hard when I get back! Spent the rest of the afternoon sitting in Wee Rhona Roos car eating Macdonalds (despite being put off them after watching super size me) and listening to the band sound checking in the venue opposite.
So to the gig itself, The Magic Numbers, I have to say that i'm really enjoying this support band, they are so good and they are all so nice. looking forward to their CD.
Then Travis of course, brilliant as always. This is the 5th gig on this tour for me, you would think by now I would of had enough! Never, they are so good live and every concert is fantastic. Was one scary moment though when two guys next to me looked like they were going to punch each other, fighting over space. Fran stopped mid song to break it up verbally, he had them shaking hands and making up, so nice.
Yet again we were treated to Fran singing 20 without the microphone, he sang it so well despite having to sing over the noise of the air conditioning! Andy jumped down into the pit to share his guitar playing with the front row as well. Unfortunately I have no photos of this gig as I wasn't expecting to go and had run out of batterys and memory card for the camera, doh!
Still, I have the memories in my head and the songs still ringing in my ears fantastic night in Sheffield, thanks guys.

Shamrock Posted: 12-10-04 10:25
That was totally amazing, the show was awsome, especially when fran did his busk. I saw the busk in town at mid day, managed to get their autographs too. :)
eurolad Posted: 13-10-04 11:36
Well worth the drive from Brussels!
Managed to keep the surprise from the mrs until we got to the doors of the LeadMill.
It's been said already - small gigs are the best. Cannot say more than has already been said - you guys never fail to please.
Keep on touring (when are you next back in Brussels?)
Chickenllamapants Posted: 14-10-04 12:18
Guys, abslutely incredible, great atmosphere, great to see you enjoying yourself so much.. and do you know what.. you were completely 'avin' it'!!!!!!!! Nice one.
Mel x
offsight_UK Posted: 15-10-04 2:59
Well done and ace performance on sheffield high street and help for home less for big ishu ^_^
AlexK Posted: 16-10-04 12:10
My first ‘Travis’ gig – and it was awesome! The best gig I’ve ever been to!!! (and I’ve seen the legend that is Paul McCartney play live, so that’s a huge compliment)
Everything was perfect- the setting was intimate and the band was on amazing form – singing tunefully and playing very tightly. Fran (aka known as ‘walnut boy’- need I explain?) was charming and humorous all evening, and we were all loving the Liam Gallagher impersonations and general banter between the band on stage. Dougie was smiling and dancing away, Neil kept the time like a metronome and Andy, whom I was directly opposite to, was a gentleman, slowing down during the songs and doing some nifty kicks in order for us to get some good shots of him.
To sum up, they rocked!

HIGHLIGHTS: See I would say that ‘Side’, my favourite song, was the highlight of the show … but it wasn’t, as every song was amazing in its own right. I particularly liked “Tied to the 90s” for the fact that Fran stopped playing, as there were some rowdy blokes from Rotherham reaping havoc in the far corner. The confrontation was really fun, with Fran, assuming the role of schoolteacher, encouraging them to divert all their energy into the “Heys” and telling them “That’s not how we behave at a Travis gig”.
“20” was also lovely – the amplifier had broken, so Fran stood on tiptoes on the edge of the stage to sing the song as loud as he could, putting his heart and soul into it – bless him.
I’ll never forget this Travis gig – it was my 18th birthday present and although I never got to meet the band (I was at school during the busking and they had left the venue straight after the gig), it didn’t matter. I think I had reached my ‘zenith’ without any of these bonuses. TRAVIS – I’ll most certainly be coming around next time you’re in town.

As for ‘the Magic Numbers’ – you were a really entertaining support band (thumping basslines, good rhythm and nice blending of male/female vocal). Even though I had never heard any of your songs before, I managed to come away from the gig with one of your songs on rota in my head! Good luck with your career! I, for one, will be following closely :)
leeljc Posted: 16-10-04 8:50
absolute cracking form lads, its been a while but it was worth the wait, you restored my faith in rock n roll and live music, great croud control by the way. ta.
tezzermania Posted: 17-10-04 2:04
Ahhhhh the gig was awesome! The Magic Numbers were a great support band, and congratulations to them getting a record deal.

The highlights of the show were Fran stopping the show, so my friend and I could get past these guys who pushed in (yes I was the chinese guy.) Also, having a wee shout out to Dougie and Andy, and having them respond back was great.

I'm sure other people have mentioned the same as the above. There are more things I wanna mention, but just reliving the gig in the head just says enough.

Thanks for a great night guys!
Travis4ever Posted: 21-10-04 1:25
This gig was AWESOME!!!! Seen Travis twice and they just get better! It affects me deeply as they are THE best band around who are such cool guys! Makes me all emotional seeing them play live. Guys, you were GREAT! Fran, got your towel too after the gig, was abit damp with ya sweat but I still hung it up to dry! You also passed your water bottle to my boyfriend, which he was very chuffed about! I also liked the way you handled the two guys scuffling over to get closer to you! Well, what more can I say? All in all, it was an AMAZING night, thanks for visiting us and making the night brilliant for everyone who went. There was such a great atmosphere too!!!! Looking forward to seeing you play again.... Will definitely get to the front again!!! x x
sassy Posted: 07-11-04 12:10
Second time of seeing Travis. It just gets better and better. Love the personal touch that they add to their gigs. Absolutely fantastic!!
holly Posted: 07-12-04 1:51
this was such an amazing gig, the best i've ever been to. loved hearing some songs from the first album as well as "20" which was great!
love the way Fran talks to crowd inbetween songs as well. i was also lucky enough to see them busking earlier in the day, hope they do it again sometime!
can't wait to see you soon boys!
xxxxx
charlie Posted: 18-07-05 8:29
Wow!! I've been to many many gigs but this was one of the most special ones I've ever gone to.

First....Magic Numbers....cracking!! Definitely are going to make it big. Travis have the knack for picking the upcoming artists as support.

The gig itself was just awesome. To see the guys in such an intimate venue was such an experience and they were on top form. Dougie was at his sexy, hip-swinging best, flirting with us all.....does anyone else just start swooning when he pouts in their direction, or is it just me??!

As for Fran....coming on for the encore alone, unplugging his guitar, stepping away from the microphone and playing one of my all-time favourite songs....words can't explain how powerfully emotional that moment was for me. I'm not someone who is moved easily, but before I knew it tears were trickling down my cheeks. It may well class as the best gig moment of my life.

Just awesome!

When's the next tour??!!

Setlist:
Sing
Tied to the 90's
U16 Girls
Writing to Reach You
Re-Offender
Walking In The Sun
Love Will Come Through
All I Want To Do Is Rock
Beautiful Occupation