Travis

Thursday, March 18, 2004
Spa, Bridlington, UK

Support: Keane
Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 1 Upload Photo

Reviews: 4 Post Review
Fran Posted: 02-09-04 1:18
Pete woke me this morning and I stumbled around my room in the half-light, packing, brushing my teeth, pulling on clothes.

When I checked out of the hotel I had forgotten loads of stuff in my room. Pete got one of the doormen to go and get it. I went to the bus and fell into the bunk and went to sleep and when I awoke we were in Bridlington Spa.

I gazed out the window and all I could see was sea, and a rough sea at that. I thought I was on a ferry. I got closer to the window and saw that we were parked right on the promenade. The sea scares me. A friend told me a terrible story about the sea the other week. It?s a cruel creature and will swallow you up if you don?t look out. My uncle drowned as a child so my family is instilled with a healthy wariness of water.

I must apologise for the lack of photographs here. My camera is broken and works when it wants to. I got a picture of the crowd tonight. Beautiful.

Andy was saying there was a granny on someone?s shoulders with a crop top on. Very sexy!

The show tonight was excellent. You rocked us Bridlington. Thankyou.

Hiromi and her wee pal were down the front again challenging Wendy and Jules for the most shows in one go. If you see them say hi. Someone threw a rolled up t-shirt at me and it nearly knocked my tooth out. Please don?t throw things directly at the mic.

We watched Keane from a window above the crowd. They were great. The crowd really enjoyed their set.

During Keane?s set we did our (now) ritual QUAKE 3 ARENA spectacular. I downloaded a cool level that looks like a kitchen. So we blasted each other before getting ready for the show.

As I write to you, I?m sitting at the front of the bus.We are nearing London for our day off at home. I can almost smell my duvet from here - in a nice way that is!
johnyp43 Posted: 02-10-04 8:48
Absolutely superb. It was my first Travis gig and although I knew they would be good I was really surprised at just how good and also what a heavy live sound they have when compared with the albums.
The set was magnificent and Fran's vocals extremely impressive. Just what live music is all about. During the encore Fran came out on his own to play an acoustic song he had written when he was 21 which went down really well.
Highlights for me were Driftwood, Love Will Come Through, Happy and of course Why Does It Always Rain On Me(perfect for Brid!).
Having just started learning to play guitar it was great to watch Fran playing those chords. In fact, since then I have bought the chord book, invested in a capo and haven't stopped strumming Travis songs since.
A great gig. Hope Travis come somewhere close to here again. What a nice change to not have to travel 60 miles to see a live show.
Definition of Wrong Posted: 22-10-04 3:52
This gig was my second ever gig & my first ever travis gig, n what a gig it was. Absolutley amazing!!!

(My first was stereophonics @ hull)

It wasn't just the music that made this gig amazing, it was the band's interaction to the crowd.

When I saw stereophonics, Kelly Jones just played songs to the crowd, but when I saw Travis, Fran made the whole Spa laugh with his impressive jokes!

I liked the one about the people with mid-life krysis' who go seating and whose only worries are melting malteasers. And also the one about the xylophone being from IKEA.

It is little extras like these that make Travis a truely remarkable band, and made my Travis expereince far better than my stereophonics!!!

Hearing Happy as a finale was absolutely amazing and I was loving it when Andy was climbing the Amps while doing a solo.

Please come around again soon, to Bridlington or Hull (KC stadium or Ice Arena are to mint venues)

Hodgy Posted: 24-07-07 4:51
This was my first Travis gig - a great night not only because Travis were brilliant but because Keane were the support band and it was brilliant to see them in a small venue just before they went stratospheric!
Can't remeber too much about the gig itself, although I remeber thinking that Andy looked like he'd had a skinful and he nearly tripped over himself during 'Pipe Dreams'!!
The band played 'Know Nothing' which I thought was fantastic, probably the best song of the night with the 'Aaah Aah Ahhhh Twist And Shout-esque bit in the middle. I can't believe that this song never made it onto an album.
Fran came back on to do '20' and 'Flowers' on his own which was a nice touch, before ending with WDIAROM. I'm glad they'd stopped ending gigs with 'Peace The Fuck Out' by this time, as it always seemed a weird way to end gigs.
GET ARCHIVE GIG REVIEWS VIA RSS (RSS?)

ARCHIVE FAQ
December
09 Hopetoun House, Edinburgh, UK 
03 YouFM Studio Concert, Frankfurt, DE 
November
19 Stirling Castle, Stirling, UK 
09 Luz De Gas, Barcelona, ES 
08 Chesterfield Caf, Madrid, ES 
04 Hanbury Arms, Brighton, UK 
October
29 Virgin Radio, London, UK