Travis

Thursday, January 22, 2004
Orpheum Theatre, Boston, MA, US

View Setlist
Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 4 Upload Photo

Reviews: 3 Post Review
Syd Posted: 02-10-04 10:46
This was my first Travis show, I had been kicking myself in the ass so many times before because I missed their other tours that there was no way I was missing this one. I got my tickets the day they went on sale and got my friend and I two lovely front row seats in front of Andy. My friend and I spent the day in Vancouver getting t-shirts made for the gig (mine said "Sing" in sparkly letters) and having some pre-show warmup (mostly eating and shopping).

When it finally came time for the crowd to start filling the venue, my friend and I decided to figure out where the band would be coming out after the show. We located the tour buses and equipment truck, we knew we'd be paying this place another visit before the night was done.

We got inside, sat patiently and awaited the dimming of the lights. Jason Faulkner came out as the opening act, I have to give this guy respect. He came out with a guitar and a mic and did a damn good set. I have always had a great deal of respect for artists who put themselves out, naked, so to speak like that. Just their voice and a guitar. It was pretty cool when he used a computer to add on a music track, to make it seem like he had a band.

After the intermission that seemed like an eternity, the lights finally went down and the thud of "Happy to Hang Around" began to bounce off the walls. I'm so glad Travis chose to play at The Orpheum, the acousitics and ambiance are amazing there. The band was amazing, spot on. Dougie was funny, Neil was serious, Fran was talkative, and Andy was crazy! That amp jump, I would have gone one step up and peed my pants if I were him. But he climbed that orange monster and jumped off too, that's admirable. Highlights of the show were, of course, Andy's amp jump, Dougie's turn at the zylophone, Fran's busking rendition of "Flowers..." (as well as cutting his nails on stage), and of course seeing Neil healthy and well after recovering from his accident.

So, after the concert ended (I was hoping it never would) my friend and I bolted to the back door to await the band. We were basically the first people there, we had elbows ready for any budgers. Can't stand budgers. We chatted with the security guard whilst we stood in the lovely Vancouver rain and cold, and found out the band would probably be an hour to two hours in coming out. So, we waited it out and I tell you, it was damn well worth it! Fran came out first and was so genuinely sweet and caring, it took my breath away. I mean, we civilians generally think of celebrities as these untouchable creatures, but they really are humans! Honest! So, we got photos with Fran and watched him walk away to the tour bus, waving a goodbye to everyone.

Another hour later, out came the rest of the boys. A little tipsy, but very joyful. Andy, bless his heart, had a bottle of wine in one arm. Made for a great photo op. My friend and I met them all and I even had a bit of fashion talk with Andy (he got his shirt done at the same store as mine, AC/DC, YAH!)

It was such an amazing concert and such a calm, wonderful atmosphere. I find myself saying alot now, "That was a good concert, but not as good as the Travis show". I can't help it, they were that good! They're just an amazing group of lads that give it all at each and every show. I can't wait until they head out on the road again.
melissy Posted: 04-10-04 12:06
In a word... Brilliant! This was my third time seeing Travis perform. Highlights were Fran cutting his nails on stage (how traumatic for him haha, some girl in the front row wanted to keep the clippings), Andy jumping from his amp, the Ikea glockenspiel, and Fran's beautiful acoustic Flowers in the Window. (Too bad some people couldn't shut up)

The sound in the Orpheum was awesome, just perfect for Travis. I was in the balcony and the floor was totally vibrating haha. A total body experience! The songs were played in an edgier style than on the albums. Absolutely fantastic! And Fran did his usual chatting with the crowd between songs. He makes shows so personal. One thing I noticed was that people of all ages were in attendance, which is pretty cool.

After the show my mom and sister and I went straight to the stage door, where we were second in line behind Syd and her pal. When Fran came out he signed our tickets and my teeshirt. We had a wee chat then I shook hands with him and practically floated home!
felipe Posted: 15-10-04 12:43

"nice private concert"

It all happened to fast, i was having a studing experience at vancouver. me and my frinds went to the orpheum that night.

Erything started to happen to fast, firs I couldn believe I was actually looking at travis for the first time. Just to resume my experience, when "all i wanna do is rock" was starting i was trying to make my way to the stage, while i was having a rude chat with the secuity guard that was not leting anyone to the fron, Fran saw me and came to me as the guitar solo started. (he was playing the rithm guitar), he somehow got to me and gave me his pick. I started hitting the strings of the "looking old telecaster" and finally he went back to the microphone.

At the end Fran was shaking hands with everyone at the stage, and I couldn?t go out that gig with out shaking Fran?s hand for second time. At the end Fran gave me his pick with his own hand and we shook hands!!!!

If fran ever reads this, i?d like him to please confirm hahaha because he really gave me the gig of my life, he inspired me and travis to.

thanks, i think Dougie was watching to.

amaizing concert!

Setlist:
Happy To Hang Around
Re-Offender
Writing To Reach
The Line is Fine
Quicksand
Love Will Come Through
The Fear
Beautiful Occupation
Side