Travis

Friday, October 31, 2003
Hummingbird Centre, Toronto, CA

View Setlist
Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 23 Upload Photo

Reviews: 4 Post Review
the need-to-know bassist Posted: 03-10-04 4:15
This was my fourth time seeing Travis in Toronto, and it was like seeing old friends. Oddly enough, it was Halloween night, and Cher was playing the same night at the Air Canada Centre, just down the street, that very night.

The Hummingbird Centre, more often used for the ballet and Opera, was surprisingly good for the rock concert. The band came on and played most of their staples, minus Happy, and some of their new ones. At this time, "12 Memories" had been out for less than a month, and it was clear that the audience was not very familiar with most of it. Fran noted this, saying "If you don't know these new songs, just sit back and chill". Even funnier was when Fran realized that he was playing the wrong song on his guitar, reasoning that he gets so "impassioned" after playing The Fear.

All in all, it was a great night, and the new tunes went over very well, even if the wankers from the press were not kind to the album. It was great to see Travis live again.

BTW...thanks Steve for selling me the tickets!
The Eggman Posted: 12-10-04 5:01
On the night of the concert in Toronto, which was Halloween, there was also a Cher concert and equally appropriate, an ?Evil Dead: The Musical? show, but even the latter can?t hold a candle to Travis. The concert was unbelievable! I met some of my friends outside the Hummingbird Centre, and when we got in our seats were all in the back, but we soon abandoned our assigned seats and just ran up to the front where everyone was standing. No one was actually using the seats anyways... And then that familiar drum/base line came on, and Travis came on stage, launching into ?Happy To Hang Around?. We were right in front of Dougie for the concert, and I could swear that he winked at me (or in the general vicinity of where I was) a few times during the show. The concert itself was unbelievable. Everyone was singing at the top of their lungs with the total disregard for what anyone thinks that only really good music can inspire.
I was pleased to hear how varied their set was, including some all out good-old rock and roll songs from ?Good Feeling?, the quintessential Travis of ?The Man Who?, some of my favourites off of ?The Invisible Band? and of course a lot of their new ones from ?12 Memories? (which I already knew by heart).
I was blown away by the intensity with which Travis played. Talk about an amazing live show! Each song seemed to mean something special, and each one had it?s own unique moments of sheer brilliance. Like Fran starting to play the wrong song after ?The Fear? because he was so ?impassioned? after that song. Or Andy?s brilliant solos in ?The Beautiful Occupation?, ?As You Are?, and ?All I Want To Do Is Rock?. Or Neil?s fantastic drumming during ?The Fear?. Or one of my favourites, Dougie rocking out the xylophone in ?Somewhere Else?.
Of course, ?The Humpty Dumpty Love Song? (such a beautiful song!) was a great moment, it?s one of my absolute favourite songs. And it led perfectly into ?Turn?, which was SO amazing with everyone singing along as loud as they could.
In the encore, Fran came out alone with his guitar and started into ?Flowers In The Window?, but stopped and apologized when he realized he was playing it wrong. Everyone cheered him on, and I actually shouted out the chords to him (though I?m sure he didn?t hear me) and had a sudden day dream of jumping up on stage and playing it for him while he sang it.
Of course, Fran soon figured it out, and played it brilliantly, and everyone cheered even more wildly. No one cared that it had started wrong, it just showed that he was as human as the rest of us.
The rest of the encore with all of the band was perfect. Everyone down to the last usher and security guard was having a great time, and I saw one guard happily singing along to ?Sing? and ?Peace The Fuck Out?. They ended the set with ?Why Does It Always Rain On Me?? and it seemed as if everyone in the audience was bouncing up and down with Fran as they sang as loud as they could. As the last notes thundered through the hall, Fran started running across the front of the stage shaking hands with all the fans close by (which I was!), and as the band all started walking off the stage, I saw a bewildered-looking Neil grinning sheepishly as a happy fan who had gotten past the guards swung lovingly from his neck.
On the walk to the Subway station, it didn?t rain. What an amazing night. Hope to see you all again soon!
Danes Posted: 17-02-05 6:45
This show was brilliant! I cried throughout the whole thing. They are such an inspiring band and I simply adore their music and their passion for it!
meags Posted: 25-06-07 12:24
This was my first ever Travis concert!!! Its taken me 3 and a half years to post my review! Anyway, I just want to say that it was one of the funest nights of my life.They are an amazing live band. My friends and I were able to meet Neil and Dougie before the show at 102.1 the Edge and we met all the guys after the show. They are a nice bunch of guys, really easygoing. Soooo, im not sure what else I should write...hmmm.. oh yeah, Its kind of embarassing but I was the fan that is mentioned in someone else's post that was lovingly hanging from Neil onstage...the next morning when I remembered what I did, I felt like an idiot . But dont worry it wont be happening at the show July 19th..im gonna behave. Oh yeah, one more thing, the nexy year I went to Britain and we ended up in Glasgow, I was sorta joking with my friends that maybe I would bump in to the Travis dudes...well I was walking downtown and Neil walked out of Mcdonald's with his daughters...I was in shock. I did'int really want to bother him when he was with his daughters but I did'int think my friends would beleive I saw him, so I went up and got a quick picture with him and he was lovely. So thats my post...I hope I dont sound like a nerd...I think I do. Buh bye.

Setlist:
Happy To Hang Around
Re-Offender
Writing To Reach You
The Line Is Fine
Quicksand
Love Will Come Through
The Fear
The Beautiful Occupation
Side
How Many Hearts
As You Are