Sunday, June 22, 2003
Usher Hall, Edinburgh, UK

Support: Teenage Fanclub and Arab Strap
View Setlist
Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 31 Upload Photo

Reviews: 4 Post Review
Vince Posted: 27-09-04 4:43
This gig was great! It was great to raise so much money for Concern. Fran didn't really talk much, which I expected as it wasn't really their gig, but it was good to just bang the tunes out. The new songs seemed to go down really well. Writing To Reach You, The Beautiful Occupation (which rocked!), Coming Around and W.D.I.A.R.O.M were best.
barry Posted: 28-09-04 10:08
Me and my mate travelled from Portsmouth and Plymouth for this gig, so we hoped it was good. When we arrived at the venue we found out that Idlewild had pulled out which was a little discouraging! Arab Strap were ok and Teenage Fanclub were pretty good, but Travis were amazing. The new songs were amazing especially The Beautiful Occupation.
Weedief Posted: 05-10-04 12:52
Really fancied this gig, not just for travis but for Teenage Fanclub and Idlewild as well. Idlewild had cancelled and Arab Strap filled in which was good, Teenage Fanclub were amazing, never seen them before. When Travis came on Fran gave a wee dedication to them by saying that without bands like Teenage Fanclub there wouldn't be bands like Travis.

The new songs sounded great and it was great to have the band back, especially Neil.

Linda :)
Travis Web Team Posted: 19-07-05 8:33
Doors have just opened at the Usher Hall as I arrive at 7pm, and there are a fair amount of people milling about in the early evening sunshine outside the venue.

Having picked up my pass, I take the opportunity to find my way around the venue. The Usher Hall is circular - so lacks a lot of landmarks, which can be abit confusing at first. I set off to find the band's dressing room. I spy a few familiar faces along the way, and stop to say hello to both Jonny and Nick of the band's crew who guide me to Travis' opulent dressing room.

This includes a grand piano, paintings and a large grandfather clock. The Usher Hall is nearly a hundred years old and has a distinctly grand and guilt edge to it, most at odds with tonight's musical line up.

There is no sign of the band. Although I recognise Fran's scribbles on a setlist left on the table, and the general debris of their passing is all around. I head back to the auditorium where Arab Strap are just starting up.

When I return backstage, there is a strangely discordant piano music drifting out of the dressing room. The scene that greets me is the typical Travis pre-gig commotion.

Shirts are pressed, monitor headphones adjusted and strange piano riffs are played, as people drop in to say hello. Throughout all the comings and goings Neil manages to retain his Buddha like calm, flat out on the dressing room floor!

As Pete the tour manager starts his fifteen minute countdown, the noisy atmosphere changes to quiet expectation. And I make my way down towards the pit in front of the stage. As the band are silhouetted onstage, the familiar chords of "Writing To Reach You" ring out and the spotlights go up, giving many their first glimpse of Travis for over a year.

"The Beautiful Occupation" follows and with the full band present packs a punch not evident from the Hope album's accoustic version. Favourites from the last three albums follow. Including a strong peformance of "As You Are" and a blistering "Side".

Dotted amongst these are 5 songs new to the Travis live set. The band sound in fine form tonight and the crowd are in good voice too. Fran keeps the inter-song banter to a minimum during the show, as this is really Concern's night. But does pause once, to talk about the crisis in Afriica, and the consequences of turning our backs on the problem.

Andy's ever entertaining acrobatics during "Turn" bring a close to the main set and after a quick breather Travis return. A three song encore brings the night to a close with "Why Does It Always Rain On Me", during which the the crowd in the stalls severely test the auditorium's sprung wooden floor!

As the last chord dies out the crowd make their way to the exits. Family, friends and guests make their way to the green room, where an aftershow has already started. With no gig tomorrow Travis can take full advantage of the opportunity to catch up with people, the celebrations continuing onto the hotel bar and into the early hours.

Cheers!

Setlist:
Writing To Reach You
The Beautiful Occupation
Sing
Driftwood
As You Are
Re-Offender
The Fear
Side
Indefinitely
Love Will Come Through