Support: Dido
View Setlist
Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 0 Upload Photo

Reviews: 1 Post Review
Amandabug Posted: 28-09-04 2:38
+8 Votes Login To Vote
I wrote this in my diary on Jun 30, 2001:

Jess and Grace helped me make our Travis Posse shirts. We had to make 6 in 2 hours. Two irons going, us panicking because it was taking at least 1/2 hour for the letters to stick, and then me on my knees peeling off every letter with both hands to insure perfection. Believe me, the shirts were magnificent. Bright red with white letters. Some of the letters were drooping after awhile, but for the most part, they were just brilliant. Then Fo came over, and we marched to Jess's house because Henry had to pick us up. He was late picking us up so our scheduled departure time (2pm) became 2:45pm. We got stuck for at least 45 minutes trying to get out of Manhattan and into the armpit state of Jersey. But we made the best of our time by BLASTING (among other things) Oasis and singing along at the top of our friggin' lungs. It was so much fun, but it was too distracting because after we stopped for food we got lost. We passed exits, made wrong turns and basically took an extra hour out for a joy ride through the back roads of south Jersey or something. Bizarro land. Jess couldnt get over how many diners there were, and we were shocked by the amount of "Wawa"s there. It was like a different country. Not to mention the skies opened up and dumped water for 20 minutes as we sat in an already humid and hot car (Jess kept calling Henry's car a Jalopy - it wasnt). Eventually, after asking a toll booth man and paying for a bridge that we never crossed, we got to the Tweeter Centre in Camden, NJ about 2 hours later than our ETA and scheduled meeting time with Lesley and Bombus. When we got there, we put our posse shirts on and Henry had a fit because he was embarrassed. Every person we walked by were so amused by us. We were attracting way too much attention. I didn't anticipate that. Some guy actually wanted to buy one off us. I held on to our extra for Les. After we found our seats, which were in the FRIGGIN CENTER, DIRECT CENTER, 8th row in this huge amphitheatre (I'd never been to a concert with lawn seating before), we walked around to find Les. She called and told us she and Bombus were friggin' BACKSTAGE. AND that Fran and CHRIS MARTIN were chatting. WHA THE FECK? What was Chris Martin doing there?! I thought he would have had a huge afterparty after the Radio City show which was the last show of their tour and fly back to England yesterday. Fo and I started FREAKING OUT. I kept saying "I can't meet Chris Martin while wearing a Travis posse shirt!!" Les came out and I wrote a note to give to Travis so they could get us backstage. We went to our seats then since Emiliana Torrini was on. Henry is in love with her. She has such a lovely voice.

After her set, Les came back because she was sitting with us. She had to put on her posse shirt backstage, and Fran saw her. He said he loved the shirt and Dougie was very impressed with it. She told them to look out for us in them. Henry, Les, Grace and I were supposed to be in the 7th row and Jess & Fo were behind us in the 8th. But we wanted to be together, so we climbed over to the 6th row since the entire row was empty. When Travis' opening music came on, we shot up and started jumping. Which wouldn't have been so bad, except... we were in THE most visible place in the venue, and maybe 6 of only 25 people of the huge venue that were standing! Good thing no one behind us yelled at us.

As soon as they came on, Dougie immediately cracked the HUGEST smile at the sight of the 6 of us going nuts in the shirts. Fran and Andy were smiling. They went right into Sing. For about 4 songs, Dougie and I were CRACKING each other up. The people in front of us kept turning around to see what he was laughing at. It was because he was being really hippy (lots and lots of hip movements... excessive hip movements) and he KNOWS I love that (I told him so!) and I was going nuts and we were doing synchronized bopping. Then he got serious for the more serious songs. Andy loved us. He kept smiling at us and usually he NEVER smiles and he NEVER looks up from his guitar at the crowd. But during his solo in "As You Are" he actually sat down on the speaker in front of him, turned to face us and played to us! We were going nuts and he gave us the biggest smile afterward. During Flowers In The Window, when he and Dougie do the "la la la la"s, they shared this smile before they started and both looked directly at us. We were going INSANE and I was gawking at Andy because he has a guitar strapped on him, he's playing the banjo AND he has to sing. I was cheering and applauding him and I could see him smiling as he sang. Woo. ANDY. Mah man.

I think it was before The Cage when Fran asked the crowd on the lawn how they were doing because it was so dark and big that he couldn't see them from the stage. The house lights shined onto the crowd for him, so we held up the HAPPY signs I made - H A P P Y printed on separate pages - and Fran pointed at us. Then he said something like, "Those are our fans, they come with us everywhere. We stick them under the bus and they go everywhere with us!" We started laughing. Eeeee.

Turn was so good, but I could tell that the Jones Beach show one as more energetic. We still jumped and went insane. Why Does It Always Rain On Me? was another jumping fest as usual. We were really getting into it and jumping with Fran and Andy as Dougie laughed at us. When it got to the part where the crowd usually sings (but Fran's been singing it since Dido fans dont know the words), we were so loud singing it that the BAND actually heard us. The people in front of us - all 5 rows - actually turned around and watched US sing. Dougie and Andy had huge smiles on their faces and I could see Fran smiling as he sang.

The set was over way too fast. We totally emptied out and went back to the VIP entrance. Dougie had told Les that we could probably come backstage after their set if he could find Pete, so we wanted to be there if Pete came out. It turned out that Les couldnt even get back into the VIP area despite having a pass. So we chilled out outside the door even though the security guard was being an asshole and didn't believe that the band was expecting us. We were attracting so much attention that a large crowd had gathered near us, but as soon as Dido started, they filtered away. There were some Coldplay/Travis fans there that we recognized and they wanted to mooch off us and go backstage but they went to watch Dido after they realized we were just waiting and had no guarantee in anyway. After 1/2 hour, Emiliana Torrini and her band came out. We were just sitting, but Fo JUMPED up and ran to tell her how much she loves Em's name (Fo is so obsessed with being Fotini Torrini). I went up too because I love her voice and had to tell her that her music is so good. She is about my height and so pretty and cute. We gathered around her and Siggy her drummer and talked to them. Jess told her that we couldnt get backstage because the guard was being mean, and she told us that Travis was going to leave in 5 minutes because Fran is sick and resting on the tourbus. She was so impressed with our shirts as well. She decided to go back into backstage (she wanted to watch Dido but she was so so sweet and went for us anyway) to tell the band that we were waiting for them. She came back after awhile and said she spoke to Andy who said he would come out for a bit.

Then they left to watch Dido. We sat back down. No one was around except us and maybe 3 other people. I was next to Fo and all of a sudden she was gone. Jess was whispering to Henry and I was so confused because Fo was talking to some tall guy in a pink shirt. Grace poked me and said, THAT'S CHRIS MARTIN. He was wearing a hat AND his back was turned to me, so all I could see was Fotini talking really animately. I think I FLEW over and started talking to him. He was so adorable and amusing, and friendly. We told him that we were at the Radio City show and that we loved it, and Fo & Henry said they loved the new songs. Henry was asking (and requesting) that they put out this one song (I think he said In My Place?) as their next single, and Chris said it is probably going to be. I told him that I can't wait for their new album (errggh I should have petted him then and said I loooooooooooooove Parachutes) and that I loved their new songs because they were so rocknroll and I LOVE rocknroll, and I love how they were getting heavier. He really liked that and he pulled in closer to me and bent his head all secretively and said "I'm really glad because we've got 2 new ones (he names them but I can't remember what he said) that no one's heard yet and they KICK ARSE." Then I said I was really glad they were heavier and he said he LOVES rock and he LOVES being in a rock-n-roll band. We were giggling and he was so happy to talk to us. I took a picture with him. Everybody else was talking to him by then, so I turned away, only to see Andy come running out of the VIP door. Jess & I went "Ooooooooooh ANDDDY!!!!!" and he came right for us with a big "Hey!!!!" with his arms outstretched. He hugged Jess and then enveloped me in a big bear hug. He told us that he loved our shirts and we were all over him, telling him how much they rocked and how As You Are rocked, and that we wanted to go backstage instead of making him come out. He said there were too many people backstage and Fran was resting on the bus. He said Franny had a flu and that they had a hotel for the night so they were leaving soon to rest. Fo and I were talking to him and I asked him what he was playing on the side during "Side" and he was trying to remember the name of the instrument for us. He told us but I still don't remember what it was. All of a sudden, I feel a hand on my shoulder and it's FRAN. He came off the bus with a Heiny in hand just to talk to us. He hugged Jess and then me and we all started talking. I asked him if he was feeling better, and he said he felt awful and that tonight he couldn't see anything since the place was so dark and massive but "of course, I could see you guys but everything else - no" and that he couldn't hear anything, he couldn't hear his mic. I felt bad for the poor dear. I asked Fran if he was scared of the moth that kept flying around him onstage, and his eyes went big and he said "Oh heck yeah, I was like--woooah" - andhe mande a motion like he was jumping back. Then he interrupted Henry talking to Chris and said "here are your directions for tomorrow" and Chris was grinning and said "Oh yeah?" and the two of them started grinning and talking. Just standing there talking about GUITARS. Fran was telling Chris something about a certain guitar or a pedal and he said "Ohh everyone has one, you've got to get one... Dave Matthews has one, everybody's playin' it.." and Chris was just nodding his head and saying "Oh yeah?" like some student listening to a sage! Chris said he didn't see us wearing shirts for Coldplay and we all started saying that we were sitting far apart and it was too far to see anything, just making up excuses. I told him that he fell right next to me and asked if he tripped over himself, and he said he didn't know but one minute he was running and the next he was on the floor. Then we told him that we loved the other shows, since we were all at the Roseland show, we talked about that one and he said he didn't like that show but we kept telling him it was so great. I think that was about then when Fo and I stepped back and saw Fran talking to some other people, and Fo said "Hey Fran, do you like Bootylicious?" and he said, "Pshhhht of course!" and he said "Bootylicious" and and did the liquid arm thing. Fo and I started jumping and chanting "Dougie! Can you handle this? Andy! Can you handle this? Neil! Can you handle this? I DON'T THINK YOU CAN HANDLE THIS!!" Jess, once again, made us stop. Then Fran came back to us, and I asked if we could all take a picture, so he said yes, so the entire Posse crowded around. I noticed Chris had drawn with a sharpie - a heart with an arrow through it and written TRAVIS underneath so I asked him he drew it himself. Fran saw it and he asked for a "inkie" (Grace pulled her Sharpie out) and he drew the same heart on his arm, except he wrote "COLDPLAY" underneath. Then Chris took the Sharpie and said "here this one will piss off the hard rock people" and drew another heart and wrote "CORN" and we laughed so Fran said "and this one is for the veggie-lovers", and drew another heart on his arm and wrote "QUORN" under that. We thought he was going manic by then. Andy jumped in for the Posse pic, and Chris was about to back away, but I said "Nooo Chris you have to be in the picture too! You can be part of the Posse!" and Fran grabbed him and pulled him in. I stood between them in front of them and everyone got in. Fran said "Say CHEESE!" and we all said CHEESE and took the picture. Isn't that insane? Fran started signing stuff for the people that were starting to crowd around, so Fo and I stayed next to Andy and Chris. Fo told him that she loved the Hank Williams song that Chris plays as an encore, and Andy went "Hank Williams?" and Chris said "yeah you know," and started singing it! They were cracking up, and then they got into a discussion about guitars and actually went over to the concession stand because Andy was telling Chris where to go to get a certain guitar & Chris wanted to write it down. Fo and I were in awe. By then, Pete was next to me and I asked if Fran had to leave soon and he said yeah. He stood there and waited for Fran to finish up. Andy came back from the concession stand and I asked him for a picture so we took one. Then Jess took one and he took one with Bombus. Then, Andy and Chris ran back inside after saying bye to us, and we were asking Fran if there was supposed to be a secret industry gig in 2 weeks. He said it was cancelled but they might still do one, and that he'd let us know. By then Dido was ending so they had to get back in, so I told Fran that I was up at 830 after the Coldplay show and I made the shirts in 2 hours, and he said "Ooooohh" and he gave me a big hug. Then he said goodbyes to everyone and to the last minute fans that suddenly ran up out of nowhere, and then he ran inside. Meanwhile, we freaked out. Then Les said to the nasty security guard who was smiling by then, "see, they know us!" and he said, "yeah, okay. I know."

There were a bunch of people there and they all turned around and said "You just missed Dougie! He came out!" and apparently, one snotty girl said "You're so stupid, you didn't see Dougie!" to which Jess and Fo snapped back: "Well, we just had Fran, Andy and Chris Martin to ourselves in the lobby for 15 minutes so there!" Auughh the immaturity.

But it was such a good day.

Setlist:
Sing
Writing To Reach You
Pipe Dreams
As You Are
Driftwood
Flowers In The Window
Last Train
Turn
Side
The Cage