Saturday, May 26, 2001
Grosse Freiheit, Hamburg, DE

Send this page to a friend

Pictures: 10 Upload Photo

Members at this show: 5 Add My Name
Ela, kathi, martharose, TexasRosie, Trixi

Reviews: 1 Post Review
Trixi Posted: 27-09-04 9:34
Okay, I?ll try to write a review in English?I suppose it will take me ages, but anyway?it?s almost 4 years ago.It was my very first Travis concert on the 26th may, although I?ve been a huge fan since almost one-and-a-half year at that point, but for some reason I never managed it before. *shrugs*
My friend Ela and I had an extra ticket for this show because a friend of mine couldn?t come so my brother joined us, although he never heard of Travis before and his taste for music is completely different to mine. When we arrived at the "Gro?e Freiheit" there were only a handful of people but I let myself hardly talked round to leave the venue again for a little walk on the Reeperbahn :s?when we came back there where a lot more ppl already and the closer the admission came the more nervous I became. Finally the doors opened and Ela and I ran straight to the stage and my brother went relaxed to the bar. After a brilliant (!!!) show by the support band Turin Brakes, they started to bring up the equipment of Travis. The venue looked so small and I just though "wow, I?m going to see Travis in a few minut...LIVE !!!!" :D Nothing happened for a while and I noticed that my back was hurting and I got a mean headache from all the smoke around me. "Great!" ..I thought. The lights turned off and the crowd began to scream and whistle and then finally the band came on stage. They started with "Sing" and from the first moment on it was like a firework...hard to describe. My headache disappeared and suddenly also my back didn?t hurt anymore ? magic! At that moment TIB wasn?t released yet and the only 2 songs I knew already was "Sing" and "Safe" so I was pretty excited about the new stuff. The second song was "Writing to reach you" and after that song the crowd didn?t stop cheering and whistling...the people of Hamburg were the coolest crowd ever! Then Fran announced a new song - "Pipe Dreams", and I was just like...WOW! I loved it from the first moment on. Actually "Pipe Dreams" and "Side" impressed me mostly at this evening...so catchy. To my left there were some guys from Glasgow, they where funny. :D Fran told them something like "I hope you?ll all behaving yourself!", haha. And then he asked the crowd if anyone had seen the firework the night before, which exploded in love-hearts ? I didn?t unfortunately, because I?m not from Hamburg. Anyway, As you Are followed...aaah, wonderful song! The scots shouted for Driftwood and threw a bounded piece of drapery on the stage which turned out as the St.Andrews Flag. Fran had some trouble to open the knots, hehe. Then they really played Driftwood. I was so happy. That?s definitely one of the best songs which ever been written ? just perfect! I think I acted like an idiot by jumping and clapping *blushes* In the second verse Fran looked down at me and made a funny grimace to me...that abashed me like hell and I didn?t know where to look, haha, I?m such an twat! But hey...at least I made him laugh during a song ! ;-D After that song the crowd went crazy and Fran and Andy joked around about "wee Andy has no tongue which would be very bad for french kissing" *lol* FITW was next and I just though "This album is gonna be brilliant!!"
I shouted for Safe...I got a video of the "Rock-im-Park 2000"-festival where they played it and I wanted my friend Ela to hear that song live, too, but the next song was Dear Diary first. I loved it but Ela seemed a bit bored so the next one came juston time to cheer her up again...TURN, the ultimate Travis-live-anthem! What can I say, it totally rocked and the next one continued ? Side. Afterwards Fran was totally exhausted ? he had to sustain on his knees for a moment (look at my last picture ;-D)...he said something like "so, that were a couple of new songs, were there ok?"...the crowd screamed that my ears buzzed, haha ? which meant definitely a Yes. Ela shouted into me ear "I love them, I llllove them, I?m so happy you took me here!!!" That put a big smile on my face, because I wasn?t sure if she and my brother will enjoy this gig ? so about Ela I was sure now at least ;) ..and then they really played it ? Safe, aww, this song is so brilliant I can listen to it 10 times in a row without getting sick of it. Afterwards someone (..who I?ll meet on my 2nd concert;)) shouted for Humpty Dumpty Love Song and Fran said "How do you know that? How do you know that song?? Is here anybody from the record company? She is?aah, I?m only kidding";) He said that it seemed like everybody?s got the new album already, probably from Napster, which is good ? well, not for the record companies but it?s good because music is free. I just loved him for this statement...I mean, which musician encourages his fans to get their music where-ever they want from, cool. :)...although I was probably the only one there who hadn?t heard any new songs before, haha. Anyway...The next one was Follow the light which is ? to me ? one of the coolest Travis live-songs. It?s more inconsiderable on the record itself than it is live...ace! Last train was next...I must admit that?s the only song I didn?t realize properly this night because when I heard it on the record later I couln?t remember it anymore *blushes*...the more I love it now. The scottish lads threw another flag onto the stage..the yello lion flag and Fran said "This is another scotish flag, I don?t know how many flags Scottland has" ;-p Then he announced the song of all songs by whistling it into the microfon..Why does it always rain on me?
This song was just...the "Grosse Freiheit" was boiling, I tell you!!! :D Encore break. Ela and I tried to chat a little bit but our voices were gone ? from sreaming and singing along. I was hoping for "Luv" but it shouln?t be...well, not yet ;) Travis came back and played "The Cage"..one of the most beautiful songs *melts-away* I was so happy when they played Comimg around next. At that point I haven?t had the single yet but I was looking for it like mad ? so what a gift to hear it live :) followed by Blue Flashing Light?one of my favourite songs (...sorry if I sound like if every song of Travis is my favourite song ;-D). Another encore break...the next song was a real highlight on this gig...Dougie sang "All the young dudes", it was so great, can?t explain the spirit of the crowd at that song...magic!
Fran said "Ok, one of this days it?s gonna be YOU!" *pointed on Andy* and fooled around about finding him a tongue, maybe a cows tongue and stuff :D than he asked us if we?d like to be part of a social experiment...so the next day everyone sould go out and do something good, no matter what, could be the smallest thing but without wanting anything back for it and Travis would go all around the world and tell this to people on every show and he said "I think we can make this world a better place!" aaah..really touchy :)
The last song for that evening was "Happy", yay !!! I was hoping so and they really did. This song just rocked, it just must been the last song because no-one was able to stand on his legs anymore afterwards from jumping around, phew, what a night ? what a gig ? what a band :) Fran beckoned Nora for giving his pick to a girl. Me and Ela just though "wow, he?s bold"...simply calls the photographer Baby" *lol*...we didn?t know that it was Nora, haha...just realized at home when we had the Photos. Outside we met my brother again and asked him how he liked it and he said ? to my surprise, because my brother is actually into Punk, Ska and Reggae ? "it was ace! Cool lads these Travis". In the car on our dive home he also said he was really impressed about the audience ? as I said before, the people of Hamburg are the perfect crowd for a Travis gig :D
Jesus Christ...this review became longer than I actually planned to. Maybe a bit too detailed, eh? Well, I think I?ll better stop before this turnes out into a novel ;)
As soon as I find the time I?ll write reviews of my other concerts too, next time a bit less detailed I think ;)
GET ARCHIVE GIG REVIEWS VIA RSS (RSS?)

ARCHIVE FAQ
December
22 Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK 
21 Hammersmith Apollo, London, UK 
20 Dome, Doncaster, UK 
18 Usher Hall, Edinburgh, UK 
17 Usher Hall, Edinburgh, UK 
15 City Hall, Sheffield, UK 
14 Brighton Centre, Brighton, UK 
12 Apollo, Manchester, UK 
11 The Forum, London, UK