Travis

Books!
fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Sun 14 Sep, 2008 8:22 PM Quote
I've read loads of great books lately, thought you might be interested, in case anyone's looking for something to read
-The Temporary, by Rachel Cusk (all Rachel Cusks are amazing, this is my favourite though)
-Wicked & Son of a Witch, by Gregory Maguire
-JPod, by Douglas Coupland (all his books are brill, very funny :)
-The Dark Tower series, by Stephen King (I love sci-fi)
-Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury
-any Virginia Woolf
-Illusions, by Richard Bach
-The Regeneration Trilogy, by Pat Barker

Any body got any other suggestions? I've got nothing to read next!

Re: Books!
elodie
elodie Posted Sun 14 Sep, 2008 9:19 PM Quote
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.

He's a true genius. One of my favourite book ever. :)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 14 Sep, 2008 9:20 PM Quote

I would also recommend Ray Badbury's...

Something Wicked this Way Comes
The Martian Chronicles
The Illustrated Man (Short Stories)

Also if you do like his stuff Try also Isaac Asimov or Michael Moorcock's

Books of Corum Series..

The Knight of the Swords
The Queen of the Swords
The King of the Swords
The Bull and the Spear
The Oak and the Ram
The Sword and the Stallion

The Elric series...

The Stealer of Souls (1963)
Stormbringer (1965, revised 1977)
Elric of Melniboné (1972)
The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (1976)
The Vanishing Tower (1977)
Elric At The End Of Time

There is also the Jerry Cornelius and Hawkmoon characters, basicically they are all eternal champions and may even possibly be the same person.

Dubz

not-the-same
not-the-same Posted Sun 14 Sep, 2008 11:15 PM Quote
If you want to read something funny, try 'Yes Man' by Danny Wallace. I really laughed out loud sometimes :)

ricv64
ricv64 Posted Sun 14 Sep, 2008 11:29 PM Quote
the sailor who fell from grace from the sea

The Temple of the Golden Pavilion - Yukio Mishima

Paco's story - Larry Heinemann

the things they carried

going after cacciato - tim OBrien

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World-Haruki Murakami

everything by that guy is good

Twice Blessed

State of War -Ninotchka Rosca

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=33488272&blogID=423237867

looking foward getting to this one next month

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 14 Sep, 2008 11:38 PM Quote

I haven't read anything memorible in a while...

Exit Music - Ian Rankin (Rebus' final novel was a bit sh!t to be honest, same formulated storyline)

The Liar - Stephen Fry, not bad but a bit too clever in places

Touching from a Distance - Debbie Curtis, a bit too personal from a woman who was obviously very hurt by gobsh!te Ian Curtis, she maybe should have got some closure before writing the book, or perhaps the book is closure

Vernon God Little - DBC Pierre, again a bit too clever for it's own good.

Dubz

Ursina
Ursina Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:01 AM Quote
hmmm I could do with a good book ! at the moment I'm struggling with The Sea The Sea by Iris Murdoch... don't know why I keep on ... it's infuriating to say the least.

was gonna get Exit Music but not sure now since Dubz says it's shite.. only read one of his before and was slightly under impressed

I would still recommend the Garnethill trilogy by Denise Mina.. brilliant stuff

lilly
lilly Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:14 PM Quote
I'm trying to read the "classics" on my professor's reading list *argh*. book of the moment it's "Brideshead Revisited" (Evelyn Waugh), not sure if I like it or not...

(Has anyone read "Mary Barton"? Please say that it's the best novel ever *sighs* my hopes are not high...)

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 1:59 PM Quote
I'm re-reading "What color is you parachute" - the best book ever about job searching.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 2:23 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:

was gonna get Exit Music but not sure now since Dubz says it's shite.. only read one of his before and was slightly under impressed

I have the full set (17) and the collection of short stories the earlier ones are better, the first one (Knots and Crosses) is really good as at the time he had no plans to follow it up so the character of Rebus has some serious flaws and is quite a fucked up person.

The problem is as they develop Rebus becomes predictible as do the story lines, for example, he usually falls out with his boss at some point and occassionally ends up suspended, he follows a case tha everyone else thinks is dead or open an shut... Siobhan grows more as a character through the series, developing on her own fighting all the time not to end up like Rebus but knowing deep down she probably will.

I tend to enjoy them as there are numerous references to Scottish Music... Cocteau Twins, Mogwai, Teenage Fanclub, Stone the Crows, Primal Scream, John Martyn, etc. etc.

Dubz

Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 5:22 PM Quote
I'm currently reading "That's Me in the Corner" by Andrew Collins.

It's a sort-of auto biography of a music journalist (he used to be the editor of Q). Andrew Collins has also written comedy for radio and tv. It's quite a good read.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 5:30 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:

It's a sort-of auto biography of a music journalist (he used to be the editor of Q). Andrew Collins has also written comedy for radio and tv. It's quite a good read.

is he losing his religion?

-I love most Bill Bryson Books:
Neither Here Nor There, in a Sunburned Country, Notes from a Small Island...
-Summer Sisters is a good chick lit, cry your eyes out book
-To Kill a Mockingbird is my favourite classic
-Most of my other favs are Canadiana/hockey related (Baptism by Ice...a Canadian journalist living in the states, reconnecting to his homeland by doing a cross country tour of all Canadian NHL cities...how i love you!) in some way which probably wouldnt appeal to most people.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 5:37 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
Tonie wrote:

is he losing his religion?

No, more likely he's plagiarised the line! Although I suspect that this will be another name drop at a late stage in the book. He's met so many musicians, I'm sure REM will be listed at some point.

Also, it's a reference to the feeling of being an observer rather than a participant in the world of music and show biz. He seems to not be able to believe that he's really a part of it, constantly bemused by it all, and thinks he's more suited to the corner than the centre stage. Aaaaahhh....

Peewee
Peewee Posted Mon 15 Sep, 2008 8:00 PM Quote
The Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton (brilliant)
The Town of Burnt out Miracles - Roy Jacobson
Glitz - Louise Bagshawe (chicklit)
Njal's Saga - Icelandic story at it finest.

Ohhhhh lots :) I've got a bit of a reading bug at the mo.

Wanna read the book Spid recommended me Bonepeople so have it on order.

MusicGirl99
MusicGirl99 Posted Tue 16 Sep, 2008 11:43 AM Quote
The last one I read was A Cellar full of Noise by Brian Epstein, ghost-written by Derek Taylor. Most of it is pretty much known, but there are a few tidbits that were interesting, for me anyway.

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:03 AM