Travis

Re: The Olympics
Monica
Monica Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 6:10 PM Quote
You have to be Juan Carlos to say that :p

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 11:47 PM Quote
I was at a going away party for a friend in Toronto last night, and because I am a loser, i was checking olympic results on my phone from the bar and was annoyed to see that Phelps won again but then saw that Canada won 3 medals in an hour! this may not be exciting to many countries, but we had been sucking hardcore!
woot. i was sad the rowing time got changed. we have teams in the mens and womens 8s and it got changed from 3am EST to 5:30. I could have stayed up until 3, i cant make it till 5:30 especially since i had 4 hours of sleep last night

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Sun 17 Aug, 2008 1:37 AM Quote
nesmap wrote:
champagnesupernova wrote:

Gee! I know that's why I said there are few players from other countries as well. You're such a spoilsport. :-P

I am not into pool really. Don't think it is that smart as Snooker is.

Haha, I know. I just want to share my knowledge :P

I watch the Mosconi Cup if it's on, and I like playing pool a bit, but Snooker is more my cup of tea too.

Ok, I am fairly impressed by your knowledge. Happy now? :-)

Mosconi Cup, I don't know. But that is not the one O'Sullivan appeared some time ago, is it? I was International Pool Tournament or something as far as I recall. I am asking cause you probably KNOW. :-P Funny he jumps on other fields to make more cash. Still an uncomparable talent.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 17 Aug, 2008 2:58 AM Quote
I just got the chills watching the womens marathon. I cant imagine the feeling of running for 2.5 hours, half of which you run alone (the Romanian woman) and to enter a stadium of 60 thousand people cheering for you as you are the lone women on the track.
so impressive.
sprint for silver and bronze. awesome.

and the Jamaican dude that just won gold in the 100m...it looks like he doesnt even have to try! so effortless. He had time to look around and wave his arms and he still finished in 9.62! His legs are taller than my whole body.

th74
th74 Posted Sun 17 Aug, 2008 3:58 AM Quote
Just watched the women's marathon, yelling at the tv again. Very good race, and the Aussies got us again. I'm sad swimming is ending.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Sun 17 Aug, 2008 4:01 AM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
Loving the music they chose for the ads in between races.

We Use to be Friends - The Dandy Warhols
Starlight - Muse

Another good one!

Knights of Cydonia - Muse. They used it in a kind of clip splice between Michael Phelps and Mark Spitz.

Bravo NBC!

th74
th74 Posted Sun 17 Aug, 2008 4:31 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
I just got the chills watching the womens marathon. I cant imagine the feeling of running for 2.5 hours, half of which you run alone (the Romanian woman) and to enter a stadium of 60 thousand people cheering for you as you are the lone women on the track.
so impressive.

and the Jamaican dude that just won gold in the 100m...it looks like he doesnt even have to try! so effortless. He had time to look around and wave his arms and he still finished in 9.62! His legs are taller than my whole body.

I agree. First, I can't imagine running for 2 hours, but winning and coming into the stadium like that. I am amazed with runners who make it look effortless.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 17 Aug, 2008 4:39 AM Quote
th74 wrote:
minnmess wrote:
so impressive.

I agree. First, I can't imagine running for 2 hours, but winning and coming into the stadium like that. I am amazed with runners who make it look effortless.

I felt bad for the British women who was injured and struggled just to finish. the CBC had an interview with her right after and she was crying when she was talking about how the doctors said she wouldnt be able to race and then did. and the interviewer said something about how "she was an inspiration to watch" and she couldnt hold it in. heartbreaking.

nesmap
nesmap Posted Sun 17 Aug, 2008 5:05 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
th74 wrote:
minnmess wrote:
so impressive.

I felt bad for the British women who was injured and struggled just to finish. the CBC had an interview with her right after and she was crying when she was talking about how the doctors said she wouldnt be able to race and then did. and the interviewer said something about how "she was an inspiration to watch" and she couldnt hold it in. heartbreaking.

That's Paula Radcliffe. She got a stress fracture 3 months ago on her leg and the docs said she had a cat in hell's chance of running a marathon. The tears were because she managed to complete it, and it's also partly to do with 4 years ago too in Athens, when she dropped out half way through her marathon.

She can easily run better than the woman who won it if she has good preperation for it, so barring any problems, she'll compete in London 2012 and hopefully win it.

I have to mention the cycling though. Us Brits are dominating it. No-one in the world can match us! And it's really exciting to watch too. On course for yet more medals and hopefully some more golds. Yay!

th74
th74 Posted Sun 17 Aug, 2008 5:10 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:

I always feel bad for the athletes who are sick and injured and can't finish or struggle to finish. I can't imagine all that work and training and hope to have it end like that.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 17 Aug, 2008 5:12 AM Quote
nesmap wrote:
minnmess wrote:
th74 wrote:
minnmess wrote:
so impressive.

That's Paula Radcliffe. She got a stress fracture 3 months ago on her leg and the docs said she had a cat in hell's chance of running a marathon. The tears were because she managed to complete it, and it's also partly to do with 4 years ago too in Athens, when she dropped out half way through her marathon.

She can easily run better than the woman who won it if she has good preperation for it, so barring any problems, she'll compete in London 2012 and hopefully win it.

I believe they said that was the first marathon she had ever completed that she didnt win.

Peculiar
Peculiar Posted Sun 17 Aug, 2008 6:37 PM Quote
nesmap wrote:
I have to mention the cycling though. Us Brits are dominating it. No-one in the world can match us! And it's really exciting to watch too. On course for yet more medals and hopefully some more golds. Yay!

Yeah I've been watching that. It's been pretty amazing. Chris Hoy's now the most successful Scottish Olympian ever between the medals he won at Athens and the ones he's just won this time.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 18 Aug, 2008 12:42 AM Quote
oh my the Jamaicans are fast!!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 18 Aug, 2008 5:00 AM Quote
minnmess wrote:
oh my the Jamaicans are fast!!

I loved the Jamaican girl's celebration after she won the Gold! She was so cute jumping up and down and smiling from ear to ear. Aww! Good for her! I think she's only 21 years old.

Monica
Monica Posted Mon 18 Aug, 2008 4:00 PM Quote
Nadal played fantastic yesterday :) Congrats to Rafa, world number one!

http://www.mediotiempo.com/mas_deportes/noticias/fotos/18231.jpg

Pages Previous 1...3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 7:53 PM