Travis

Re: The Olympics
champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Fri 15 Aug, 2008 6:55 PM Quote
AbsGinger wrote:
champagnesupernova wrote:
I am not really excited about olympics. Turkey only win in branches such as wrestling, weightlifting. Lol

After a long and tiring day last night we were watching the summary of the day. With Michele (yes he is here! :-D) and an American friend. Funnily they (Italy and USA) all had medals to be happy for at the end of the day and I was as usual empty handed. I am sticking to be a loyal Snooker audience, I suppose. Olympics suck! :-P

empty handed ? like you didn't have a glass of red red wine you make me feel so fine ?

Yeah but wine was for every one. Unlike the shiny medals.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Fri 15 Aug, 2008 8:04 PM Quote
I found this on the web, I thought it was funny.

Beijing Olympics: Drinking Game

TAKE A SIP WHENEVER:

The Olympics are referred to as Beijing's "coming-out party."

A TV announcer refers to China's "rising middle class." (Bonus sip if said rising middle class is referred to as "the awakening of the Chinese dragon.")

A TV announcer refers to the fact that the Chinese frequent KFC, McDonald's, and Starbucks, just like us!

A TV announcer makes note of the fact that the Chinese people eat all sorts of crazy things, including dog leg, donkey meat, scorpion kebab, and yak penis, ostensibly as way to show that Chinese culture is different than ours, but really just to use the phrase "yak penis."

The camera shows an armed Chinese guard riding on a Segway.

The camera shows a Chinese guard riding on a Segway on his way to brutally assaulting a bunch of pro-Tibet dissidents.

The swimming color commentator refers to either:
1) Michael Phelps' hyperflexible size-14 feet, or
2) The fact that it takes Phelps 20 minutes to squeeze into his custom Speedo LZR bodysuit.

Michael Phelps' goofy mug is used in an NBC teaser. (Actually, bad idea. You will die.)

Teenage girls are shown giggling while watching Michael Phelps.

An announcer mentions the intense Beijing air pollution. (Bonus sip if he mentions it while wearing a mask. Double bonus sip if he's wearing a mask despite the fact that it's sunny and clear out just to prove a point on TV.)

An announcer brings up the Chinese government's ability to rid the atmosphere of said pollution by artificially inducing rain from the Man-Made Hail-Prevention and Rain-Increasing Work Station.

The sad story of "Dan and Dave" is brought up.

An announcer mentions that Amanda Beard posed for Playboy, because really, what else are highly skilled Olympians bringing to the table other than their perfectly toned abs? (Bonus sip if they show the NSFW spread.)

An announcer creepily mentions that 41-year-old mother Dana Torres should pose for Playboy.

TAKE A GULP WHENEVER:

Bob Costas, sotto voce, informs us that an athlete has "prepared his whole life for just this one moment."

An announcer utters any of the following phrases:
1) "Everyone in the stadium was a winner today." (Or its inverse: "There are no losers here.")
2) "This is what the Olympics are all about."
3) "[Random obscure athlete who competes in an event you only pay attention to once every four years and who will never be heard from again] will remember this day for the rest of his life."
4) [Athletes from rival countries—India and Pakistan, for example, or Iraq and the United States—shake hands after a match.] "This is truly what the Olympic Games are all about." NOTE FROM LAUREN: Or in this case the volleyball match between Georgia and Russia...

An announcer acknowledges that saying something like "the whole world is watching" is a cliché, but proceeds to say it anyway.

An announcer somberly intones that a participant is competing despite:
1) The recent diagnosis of a family member/loved one with a life-threatening disease.
2) The recent death of a family member/loved one by way of a life-threatening disease.
3) Having been diagnosed with a physically debilitating or crippling disease as a child. (Bonus drink if the announcer compares the participant's plight to that of the South African "Blade Runner")
4) Having been maimed in a tractor accident or other freak occurrence as a child.
5) Having grown up with no access to food, clean water, training equipment, or sneakers.
6) Having grown up in the midst of genocide/geopolitical strife/major war.

An announcer enthusiastically describes a triple jump participant as having made a "great leap forward." (Alternately, he describes a 100 meter sprinter at the blocks as a "crouching tiger.")

The final heat of a competition featuring an American and a Chinese Olympian is billed as "a showdown between East and West." (Alternate: "Yin meets yang ... right after this commercial break!")

FINISH YOUR DRINK WHENEVER:

The wrong national anthem is played when a gold medalist takes the podium.

Members of the "Dream Team" are busted in their hotel room with a bunch of prostitutes from the Sichuan province the night before their gold medal game with Greece. (Have another if they win anyway.)

A decathlete passes out during the shot put after choking on a few too many toxic particles of sulfur dioxide.

Grenada's sole Olympian, welterweight boxer Rolande Moses, takes home the gold.

Your body weight is at least twice that of a Japanese rhythmic gymnast.

DRINK EVERYTHING IN SIGHT IF:

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad applauds the American soccer squad's "fine effort on the pitch and exemplary patriotism" after they defeat Iran in the first round.

Chinese president Hu Jintao invites the Dalai Lama to be the official lighter of the Olympic torch, after which he grants Tibet total political and religious autonomy.

The Olympic Games pass without a single steroid or doping scandal. (NOTE FROM LAUREN: I guess this one is out already)

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 15 Aug, 2008 8:19 PM Quote
Congrats to Mongolia!

EDIT:

And Togo!

And India!

lindsey22295
lindsey22295 Posted Fri 15 Aug, 2008 11:00 PM Quote
ElspethOllie wrote:
I found this on the web, I thought it was funny.

Beijing Olympics: Drinking Game

TAKE A SIP WHENEVER:

Michael Phelps' goofy mug is used in an NBC teaser. (Actually, bad idea. You will die.)

Haha. You will.

nesmap
nesmap Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 4:02 AM Quote

I knew someone would gonna say that smart panties. :-P My consolation is this is basically a British thing with very few players from elsewhere. Not like much of an international occasion. So there. *nods*

Hmmm, really? :P Off the top of my head I can think of players from Rep of Ireland, Australia, Canada, China, Thailand, Malta and even South Africa!

Admittedly most are from Britain, but there are players from other countries.

Pool is even more varied though, with plenty from Europe and America.

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 4:23 AM Quote
Loving the music they chose for the ads in between races.

We Use to be Friends - The Dandy Warhols
Starlight - Muse

Esteban
Esteban Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 4:49 AM Quote
Quote:
MICHAEL PHELPS' DIET

Breakfast: Three fried egg sandwiches; cheese; tomatoes; lettuce; fried onions; mayonnaise; three chocolate-chip pancakes; five-egg omelette; three sugar-coated slices of French toast; bowl of grits; two cups of coffee
Lunch: Half-kilogramme (one pound) of enriched pasta; two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayonnaise on white bread; energy drinks
Dinner: Half-kilogramme of pasta, with carbonara sauce; large pizza; energy drinks

Fat fucker.

Helena
Helena Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 4:50 AM Quote
damon wrote:
My country Mexico, is going with the smallest comitee ever,, no hope for medals,,, damm !!

exactly

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 5:03 AM Quote
Helena wrote:
damon wrote:
My country Mexico, is going with the smallest comitee ever,, no hope for medals,,, damm !!

exactly

We already have a bronze medal... pfft it seems that is the only one we are getting :o(.
I feel so bad about our athletes cause they don't get as much sponsorship as the athletes of another countries do, so they can really do a lot in the competitions even when they try their best :o(.

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 11:16 AM Quote
nesmap wrote:

I knew someone would gonna say that smart panties. :-P My consolation is this is basically a British thing with very few players from elsewhere. Not like much of an international occasion. So there. *nods*

Hmmm, really? :P Off the top of my head I can think of players from Rep of Ireland, Australia, Canada, China, Thailand, Malta and even South Africa!

Admittedly most are from Britain, but there are players from other countries.

Pool is even more varied though, with plenty from Europe and America.

Gee! I know that's why I said there are few players from other countries as well. You're such a spoilsport. :-P

I am not into pool really. Don't think it is that smart as Snooker is.

nesmap
nesmap Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 2:43 PM Quote

Gee! I know that's why I said there are few players from other countries as well. You're such a spoilsport. :-P

I am not into pool really. Don't think it is that smart as Snooker is.

Haha, I know. I just want to share my knowledge :P

I watch the Mosconi Cup if it's on, and I like playing pool a bit, but Snooker is more my cup of tea too.

Monica
Monica Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 5:20 PM Quote
Good luck to Rafa Nadal tomorrow!!!!

sara spain
sara spain Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 5:54 PM Quote
LLaneras, the golden medal that we win today, is one of my father´s best friend ;)

Good luck for Rafa tomorrow, we are going to see the match in his village, is going to be funny.

Monica
Monica Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 6:00 PM Quote
I really like cycling track!!! I enjoyed watching him winning! He's awesome ;)

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Sat 16 Aug, 2008 6:01 PM Quote
Monica wrote:
Good luck to Rafa Nadal tomorrow!!!!

por que no te callas Monica ?

Pages Previous 1...2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:02 PM