Travis

Is Travis still a big band?
Winghead
Winghead Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 3:15 AM Quote
or have they completely lost steam and buzz? I'm from Canada so maybe I'm wrong and they are still huge in Europe. Just wondering what kind of venue they would play now. If they sell shows out etc. Anyone think J. Smith will generate some buzz for them like the last 2 'phonics albums did for them?

Re: Is Travis still a big band?
Sky-Blue Puppy
Sky-Blue Puppy Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 7:31 AM Quote
A big band?! Like this ->

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w85/Poplyn/bigband-1.jpg

Oh my, i never would've imagined that! Maybe when they team up with Treivis they can pull this thing off. After all Dougie does play the saxophone and the clarinet ;)

But seriously, i think they're a band of a... er... comfortable size, for lack of better words. They're not annoyingly huge, nor irrelevant and forgotten. Their shows last year and this year have gone down very well all over the world. We'll only have to wait and see what Ode To J.Smith does for them, but what we've heard so far (the EP, new songs at shows) i believe it's gonna rock many socks off :D

Welcome to the board! Stick around here and you'll see what comes :)

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 8:12 AM Quote
They're still big to those that matter - us!!

deebee
deebee Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 8:50 AM Quote
Personally I don't want them to go back to how they used to be. The fame and fortune thing didn't seem to suit them. Much prefer seeing them now in smaller venues rather than arenas.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 9:07 AM Quote
Winghead wrote:
or have they completely lost steam and buzz? I'm from Canada so maybe I'm wrong and they are still huge in Europe. Just wondering what kind of venue they would play now. If they sell shows out etc. Anyone think J. Smith will generate some buzz for them like the last 2 'phonics albums did for them?

Does your name come with a script? haha

Tonie
Tonie Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 10:25 AM Quote
Winghead wrote:

I think it's a reasonable question if you've lost touch with the band of late. The band has moved from its record label, and for that reason alone, I think there's a different atmosphere surrounding them. As for size - if size matters(!), we're not talking Coldplay here (thankfully), but the new music is being belted out quite prolifically, and the most recent is being well received by critics and fans.

The kind of venue? Medium, I think would be a fair description! By London measurements, if it means anything to you, I saw them in Koko last year (the old Camden Palace).

Hopefully you'll get to see them in Canada for the next album promotion tour and form your own ideas and let us know! :) (alternatively hop on a plane over here, sometine in October!!!)

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 11:02 AM Quote
They're not a big as they were in The Man Who/Invisible Band days, but they can still sell shows out pretty damn fast. If they're not bigger that the Stereophonics, then its not by much. I'd say Closer got at least just as much radio play here than the 'phonics latest material did.

Joanna Hanner
Joanna Hanner Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 12:07 PM Quote

Delia24Oct07
Delia24Oct07 Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 12:11 PM Quote
I personally would like the new album being noticed by the media so they write maybe one article about it, so people know "hey, Travis has got a new album!" But not that they start to be like Coldplay or something like that. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible for us fans to see them as we can do it now - in small, personal venues where it is possible to meet them after the shows and have a chat with us without too many bodyguards surround them... That would be best I think.

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 1:36 PM Quote
Joanna Hanner wrote:
This brings up a question I have wanted to ask for a long time... Why do you think the 'elusive US hit' is so, well, elusive?

Everyone I share The Trav's music with loves it, so I tend to think its a marketing issue. I could elaborate but I am running out the door. But I work in marketing, so I wonder if i have a biased view. What are your thoughts?

You are probably right. I am sure people love the songs, when they get to hear them. I lived in the US for 7 years (1996-2003) and I missed the whole Travis thing in those years. Ok, it must be partially my fault considering all the Travis fans on board here...and even Julia Roberts is a fan...but... Thanks God they gave a long enough break before TBWNN for me to catch up :) (so dear band, there is no need for long breaks anymore, you can proceed much faster from now on!)

It is not only Travis, many European bands are not well known in the US, and sometimes it is a blessing. For example: Modern Talking (80s, Germany). I envy those who never heard of "Brother Louie" or "Cheri Cheri Lady."

mecarr
mecarr Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 2:07 PM Quote
If Travis was ever looking for a big hit to make them big (or bigger) in the USA, then Selfish Jean was it. Why it didn't make it big over here has to be a pure marketing mistake. The song itself was made for radio play and people here would have eaten it up if gotten a chance.

physke
physke Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 2:12 PM Quote
sebnemy wrote:
Joanna Hanner wrote:
This brings up a question I have wanted to ask for a long time... Why do you think the 'elusive US hit' is so, well, elusive?

Everyone I share The Trav's music with loves it, so I tend to think its a marketing issue. I could elaborate but I am running out the door. But I work in marketing, so I wonder if i have a biased view. What are your thoughts?

You are probably right. I am sure people love the songs, when they get to hear them. I lived in the US for 7 years (1996-2003) and I missed the whole Travis thing in those years. Ok, it must be partially my fault considering all the Travis fans on board here...and even Julia Roberts is a fan...but... Thanks God they gave a long enough break before TBWNN for me to catch up :) (so dear band, there is no need for long breaks anymore, you can proceed much faster from now on!)

It is not only Travis, many European bands are not well known in the US, and sometimes it is a blessing. For example: Modern Talking (80s, Germany). I envy those who never heard of "Brother Louie" or "Cheri Cheri Lady."

God, then the whole Americans should be healthier than us:) I didn't hear them in 80s, of course, but it is like a nuclear disaster, still going on:)

Steph_canuck
Steph_canuck Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 7:03 PM Quote
Winghead wrote:

What province are you from? Cause they played in Toronto last summer at the Kool Haus. And I think they played a couple venues on the West coast more recently.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 7:24 PM Quote
Sky-Blue Puppy wrote:

But seriously, i think they're a band of a... er... comfortable size, for lack of better words. They're not annoyingly huge, nor irrelevant and forgotten. Their shows last year and this year have gone down very well all over the world. We'll only have to wait and see what Ode To J.Smith does for them, but what we've heard so far (the EP, new songs at shows) i believe it's gonna rock many socks off :D

Welcome to the board! Stick around here and you'll see what comes :)

I was going to comment, but I'd just be repeating everything you've said above. :)

Winghead, nice screen name. You're from Canada, so could that possibly mean...Detroit Red Wing(head)??? :) If so, you ROCK.

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Thu 24 Jul, 2008 8:46 PM Quote
I agree with marketing and would add the way radio stations are organized in the US. Here, large corporations own big groups of radio stations with very specific formats that are the same in every city. If it doesn't fit the format, it doesn't get played. Period. Travis gets scratched off the list before they've even been heard, I'm afraid. The one radio station around here that plays Travis once or twice a week (if we're lucky) is a Canadian station, which is how I found out about them.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:12 AM