monkey
monkey Posted Mon 07 Jul, 2008 1:34 AM Quote
earlier and it pisses me off, that's twice in just 3months

http://www.angelspit.net/hairsurgeon/Store/images/pin-fuck-off.gif

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/upload/2006/11/atheists_ghostbusters.gif

Re: i had a few Jehovah's Witness at my door
ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Mon 07 Jul, 2008 1:40 AM Quote
Someone came to our door today. But they wanted to paint the house numbers on our curb.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 07 Jul, 2008 3:31 AM Quote
I had a Jehovah's Witness come up to me while I was pumping gas once! It's not like I could just leave my car. She had me trapped, lol.

spid
spid Posted Mon 07 Jul, 2008 11:22 AM Quote
tell them you're a sun worshipper = the most ancient of religions.

or try this way - i got rid of a pair that were stalking me once (in my younger days) by telling them that without blood products both my daughter and I would be dead. I was tainted then and they left me alone.

dee
dee Posted Mon 07 Jul, 2008 10:54 PM Quote
it's so annoying-they don't want me.

they always ask to speak to my brother, i'm never good enough for them:(

Hanne
Hanne Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 10:29 AM Quote
I once had some young ones at my door. They didn't introduce themselves at witnesses, they just asked if I ever go to church. I do go to church regularly, so I said yes. Their answer: ooh, then we have a common interest, you you should really come to our church!

Errr... I don't think we have a common interest. You stick to your church, I'll stick to mine.

moo_the_evil_boffin
moo_the_evil_boffin Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 11:43 AM Quote
They've given up on us lol. We used to engage them in long debates about evolution etc...

I have no problem with their beliefs, I just don't think it's right to go around trying to convince other people to convert to their religion.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 11:49 AM Quote

I saw an interesting program a while back about Atheists.

Seemingly there's a group of fanatical Atheists in the States (where else ??) that are going around trying to force people into non-belief. Surely that is just as fanatical as organised religion forcing their beliefs on people.

Dubz

Peewee
Peewee Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 11:52 AM Quote
moo_the_evil_boffin wrote:
They've given up on us lol. We used to engage them in long debates about evolution etc...

I have no problem with their beliefs, I just don't think it's right to go around trying to convince other people to convert to their religion.

I agree! When they tried to give my mum or dad tracts to read she would hand them stuff back and say hey how about you read about our religion, they didn't want to know!

now I just listen to them or if I'm in middle of something explain. I don't get stressed out like I used too. Just feel sorry for them, I mean imagine having to go round peoples houses :-/ ugh that job sucks!

Aude
Aude Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 1:04 PM Quote
my brother became one of them when he was 20.... :( Not so easy to cope with that. We are are all convinced atheist but he became JW...
I don't really get why, it's quite hard because his daughter is only three and she already prays Jehovah when she's afraid there's monster under her bed!
What a shame!
No more Xmas and Birthday party with them... And to think that they would refuse transplants or blood, it just makes me mad, I couldn't stand it if I loose them because of that.
Did you know that they didn't vote?

Hanne
Hanne Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 1:21 PM Quote
Aude wrote:
my brother became one of them when he was 20.... :( Not so easy to cope with that. We are are all convinced atheist but he became JW...
I don't really get why, it's quite hard because his daughter is only three and she already prays Jehovah when she's afraid there's monster under her bed!
What a shame!
No more Xmas and Birthday party with them... And to think that they would refuse transplants or blood, it just makes me mad, I couldn't stand it if I loose them because of that.
Did you know that they didn't vote?

Sorry to hear about your brother.

I did know that they don't vote. In countries with conscription of military service, they refuse to join. Apparantly it has something to do with not interfering with society. The earthly life is of no importance compared to the afterlife. Something like that anyway.

EDIT: Just found this on Wikipedia:
Jehovah's Witnesses believe their allegiance belongs to God's Kingdom, which is viewed as an actual government. Thus they refrain from saluting the flag of any country or singing nationalistic songs.[34] [35] They believe that these acts are tantamount to worship. The political neutrality of Jehovah's Witnesses is also expressed by their refusal to participate in military service – even when it is compulsory – and by their detachment from secular politics. Voting in political elections is considered a compromise of their Christian neutrality.

Still, members are expected to obey all laws of their native governments, so long as these do not violate what they view as God's law.[36][37] They are instructed to pay all taxes of the country in which they reside, considering the government to be solely responsible for how they are used

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 2:22 PM Quote

You are all condemnded to death by Stoning for uttering the lord's name...

http://www.mirader.com/pictures_pics/monty_python_4.jpg

Dubz

Aude
Aude Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 5:11 PM Quote
haha!
God save Brian! :)

monkey
monkey Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 5:16 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I saw an interesting program a while back about Atheists.

Seemingly there's a group of fanatical Atheists in the States (where else ??) that are going around trying to force people into non-belief. Surely that is just as fanatical as organised religion forcing their beliefs on people.

Dubz

what were they doing?, trying to force science and an education upon people ;).

you can't try to force people into having non religious beliefs because it would require a stupid ultimatum. an atheist can't run around telling peopele "your punishment of non-belief in god shall result in you being tossed into a lake of fire for all eternity blah blah blah", could you imagine someone trying to suggest/thinking something so stupid ;)

lux
lux Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 3:46 AM Quote
Atheism is an organized religion now. Hilarious.

http://www.atheists.org/
http://www.atheistalliance.org/

I've seen many of their videos, and they are recruiting.

Also, my daughter's paternal grandmother is a Jehovah Witness. She cheats. Instead of buying my daughter presents on Christmas, she'll buy her presents a couple days before...so, you know, they're not really Christmas presents. Same goes for birthdays, and Easter.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 3:31 PM