Travis

Re: Viva la Vida...Thoughts?
the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Wed 02 Jul, 2008 5:07 PM Quote
According to Chris Martin, he's been trying to write a Radioheadish song for years, one with no verse or chorus as such, just a sort of flow. He finally wrote one good enough for release, called 42 :)

Liz_77
Liz_77 Posted Sat 05 Jul, 2008 9:30 AM Quote
42 is my fav...i like a lot of the songs on there. i don't see what the big debate is all about. it sounds great to me...you like it or you don't. but don't dislike or dismiss something just because it is "mainstream" or whatever. that is moronic. when parachutes came out and i was telling my friends how great i thought it was, i was met with blank stares and dismissal because no one knew who coldplay were. now when i mention that i like coldplay, i hear a "psshhh, coldplay, whatever, they're so commercial..." then they'll say, "you should hear this other band...barely anyone knows about them. i'll totally burn you a cd. they're so different and unique..." (ooh. ahh. if i weren't wearing my good jeans i might have just pissed myself whilst enduring as much emo excitement as i could muster.)

well, following that logic, i hope that little-known band never gets the success they deserve because apparently they will then no longer have the ability to produce worthwhile music and ought to fail in order to keep their integrity. lovely sentiment.

yeah, the big, bad label undoubtedly keeps some bands on a tight leash, depending on their contract and who's blood was used to sign it, i suppose. regardless of that issue, bands do often have SOME creative control and anyway, if it's up to the label, they'd surely have the band continue to make music based on prior albums that gained popularity or sold well. if that theory holds true, sounds like it's highly possible that albums to come will be similar to albums people liked before. hence, if you liked the band before, why would you not like them on some level now?

wow. what a rant! i'm going to bed...hehe.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sat 05 Jul, 2008 9:02 PM Quote
Some fantastic tracks on this cd. Some not so fantastic ones. All in all it sounds like Coldplay - nothing new but I think some very beautiful moving sounds, some I would have liked to see more developed.

Each listen introduces something more but I think Violet Hill overshadows the rest .

As for the commercial image , well I think its something of a compliment to have awoken the public to aspire to be a Coldplay fan and if that represents the mood of a generation then thats where its at.

Personally , I preferred to listen to this album while I was prepapring a dinner for someone rather than intensly listening to it track by track.

I think the agressive remarks against Coldplay are so uneccesary and more a rebellion on their success.

I much much prefer Travis and would have been very disappointed had this been their album so its all in the ear of the beholder.

Overall , I like the album much better than the last one and it deserves its success.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 05 Jul, 2008 9:28 PM Quote
I still love the album, there new songs coming through like Yes that I love now, and Violet Hill is turning out much better than it sounded as a download single.

I was worried when it came out that I'd end up liking Coldplay more than Travis, but the new tunes have definitely shown that won't happen :D

Monica
Monica Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 6:39 PM Quote
Death and all his friends is awesome.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 6:40 PM Quote
Shite, there's a thought. SHITE !!!!

Dubz

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 7:03 PM Quote
It's been about a week now and 5 or 6 full listens since I've had the Viva La Vida album. I wanted to give it some time before I wrote anything about it. I was going to go back and read everyone's comments, but I'm too lazy right now, lol, so I apologize if I repeat anything that's been said in my mini review.

I think this is one of Coldplay's best albums yet. I think it's pretty hard to top the songs from "Rush of Blood," but this album is probably my second favorite and has a really groovy feel. I love how the songs sorta flow from one to the next.

The tracks that really stand out for me are "Cemeteries of London," "Lost!," "42," "Viva la Vida" and "Violet Hill" -- all really amazing songs! I also REALLY like "Yes," however, I don't like how the song changes at the end. It gets kinda boring...probably the most boring part of the album, but I love the first half of the song.

I only have a few complaints about the album. "Lovers in Japan" is an ok song and "Reign of Love" is really pretty, however, they're not mixed right. Chris Martin's voice is way too quiet, or the music is too loud over it. I can't understand anything he's saying. He mumbles too much on this album. But overall, I really love it! The whole soldier going to war/ revolution theme is really cool and I think it was quite brave to start out with an instrumental piece, but I think it really works on this album and I love that the album finishes with the same music. I kinda thought they were overdoing it a bit when Chris Martin sings "And in the end...something something..." (can't make out the lyrics...but come on...it's a BIT to much like The Beatles "and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make" at the end of Abby Road for my liking).

And finally, one of my favorite parts on the album is the way they almost chant "No I don't wanna battle from beginning to end; I don't wanna cycle, recycle revenge; I don't wanna follow death and all his friends" (hope I got those lyrics right)...anyways, it's really powerful and I love it!

Nice work Coldplay!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 7:26 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

We get it. You don't like Coldplay. Move on, man! Of course you have the right to state your opinion, and you have...SEVERAL TIMES...but why do you care so much about what kind of music other people like?

And on this whole mainstream debate...I really can't stand when people stop liking a band just because they're "too popular." It's ridiculous. There are plenty of crap bands out there that are popular for whatever reason, but then there are also GREAT bands that have made it into the mainstream. Why can't people just like music for music?

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 7:32 PM Quote
Liz_77 wrote:
well, following that logic, i hope that little-known band never gets the success they deserve because apparently they will then no longer have the ability to produce worthwhile music and ought to fail in order to keep their integrity. lovely sentiment.

Right on! Well said.

rebekah
rebekah Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 7:37 PM Quote
oohh i love coldplay soo mucchhh!!! (:

(probably said this many a time)

Cemetries Of London is the bestesssstt!!!

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 11:23 PM Quote
For the record, I'm still loving Viva la Vida. Probably my favourite Coldplay album. I feel its actually quite different and fresh - not song for song per say, but as a whole album, it just has a really cool feel about it. I really like the imagery it conjures up too, all the old 'for king and country' mentality 'n that .

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 07 Jul, 2008 3:36 AM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
For the record, I'm still loving Viva la Vida. Probably my favourite Coldplay album. I feel its actually quite different and fresh - not song for song per say, but as a whole album, it just has a really cool feel about it. I really like the imagery it conjures up too, all the old 'for king and country' mentality 'n that .

Hey Luke! I agree about the album as a whole vs. song-for-song. I just had a listen to "Fix You" on my way home for the first time in a long time and it really moved me. There aren't songs like that or like "The Scientist" for example on the new album, but as a whole, it's really cool and different.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 07 Jul, 2008 10:52 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

We get it. You don't like Coldplay. Move on, man! Of course you have the right to state your opinion, and you have...SEVERAL TIMES...but why do you care so much about what kind of music other people like?

And on this whole mainstream debate...I really can't stand when people stop liking a band just because they're "too popular." It's ridiculous. There are plenty of crap bands out there that are popular for whatever reason, but then there are also GREAT bands that have made it into the mainstream. Why can't people just like music for music?

Sorry I was Mistaken, It must have been the thread Viva la Vida...Thoughts?

I'm sorry I didn't read it properly Viva la Vida...Nice Pink Fluffy Thoughts?

If you are going to post a thread asking people what they think then be prepared for the answer!!!

Oh and btw I have actually listened to this, it's no a blanket decision, the title track is well...... OK but IMO the album pails straight into shite afterwards.

Dubz

dee
dee Posted Mon 07 Jul, 2008 11:04 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Nikki wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

Sorry I was Mistaken, It must have been the thread Viva la Vida...Thoughts?

I'm sorry I didn't read it properly Viva la Vida...Nice Pink Fluffy Thoughts?

If you are going to post a thread asking people what they think then be prepared for the answer!!!

Oh and btw I have actually listened to this, it's no a blanket decision, the title track is well...... OK but IMO the album pails straight into shite afterwards.

Dubz

oh stevesie, stevesie! i had too many smilies to choose from:

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/images/smilies/deadhorse.gif

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/images/smileys/stick.gif

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/images/smilies/catfight.gif

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/images/smilies/nag.gif

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Mon 07 Jul, 2008 11:17 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

Sometimes when you get a band forced down your ears so fucking much you just don't wanna hear it ever again.

And I know with me, I tend to wait til all the hype around a band dies down before I listen to em, purely coz I don't want some gobshite telling me I have to listen to this particular band because everyone else is raving about it. I'll listen to music when I'm ready for it and not when the mainstream is.

Pages Previous 1...3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:15 PM