Travis

Viva la Vida...Thoughts?
TheInvisibleBoy
TheInvisibleBoy Posted Fri 13 Jun, 2008 12:53 AM Quote
Anyone get it? I think it's really good! I love Lost!, 42, Violet Hill, Viva la Vida and Death and All His Friends. The rest of the album is good too. I just haven't really been building up for this as much as Ode To J.Smith but yeah I think it's a really cool album, but with my anticipation towards Ode To J.Smith I think Travis will have the better of the two albums but it's cool to have Coldplay and Travis bringing out albums close to each other, with the Travis album coming out later than theirs because I feel the Coldplay one will be nice to listen to up until Travis' comes out, then it'll be Travis all the time for a while lol, then probably alternate between the two lol.

Re: Viva la Vida...Thoughts?
paul_c
paul_c Posted Fri 13 Jun, 2008 1:13 AM Quote
I haven't bought it yet- and i don't know if i will. My liking of Coldplay has gone steadily downhill after X&Y. I thought Parachutes was superb, A Rush of Blood was a step up, but i think they blew it with X&Y and it really put me off them. The live shows for that album were a bit too showy,or something.. Really off-putting!

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Fri 13 Jun, 2008 2:11 AM Quote
Got it today. It's awesome. Probably the first Coldplay album where I really like all the tracks. So it's passed the first test - now to see whether its got legs; whether or not I'm going to be bored of it by this time next month.

I love the sound of this album. There's a kind of theme that unites all the tracks together and helps it flow better than perhaps X&Y did. In fact I can't help but see some vague comparisons between this album and Ode To J. Smith. I can't speak for the material as such (I've not properly heard anything from Travis' latest yet), although I think there is something edgier about this Coldplay album too, at least compared to the last. But I feel they share a kind of historic, archaic imagery. Only Ode to J Smith is more historic cause I think along the lines of mediaeval/gothic with the praying hands etc, whereas Coldplay are more like rifles and empire. lol. Ok I'm going on a nonsensical tangent now so i'll shut up now. Suffice to say - yes, Viva La Vida is good. :P

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 13 Jun, 2008 2:18 AM Quote
Play.com has let me down for the first time ever.

It didn't plop through the letterbox this morning. Shocked, disappointed. It bloody well better arrive tomorrow!!!

TheInvisibleBoy
TheInvisibleBoy Posted Fri 13 Jun, 2008 2:40 AM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
Got it today. It's awesome. Probably the first Coldplay album where I really like all the tracks. So it's passed the first test - now to see whether its got legs; whether or not I'm going to be bored of it by this time next month.

I love the sound of this album. There's a kind of theme that unites all the tracks together and helps it flow better than perhaps X&Y did. In fact I can't help but see some vague comparisons between this album and Ode To J. Smith. I can't speak for the material as such (I've not properly heard anything from Travis' latest yet), although I think there is something edgier about this Coldplay album too, at least compared to the last. But I feel they share a kind of historic, archaic imagery. Only Ode to J Smith is more historic cause I think along the lines of mediaeval/gothic with the praying hands etc, whereas Coldplay are more like rifles and empire. lol. Ok I'm going on a nonsensical tangent now so i'll shut up now. Suffice to say - yes, Viva La Vida is good. :P

I agree actually! I see the comparisons between this and Ode To J.Smith, I thought of this a while back with the edgier and different kind of feel to it, never thought of the historic feel but yeah, that's a really good point!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 13 Jun, 2008 3:51 AM Quote
I think you're expecting more J Smith types on Ode To J Smith. There isn't really. The Latin and the choir really give it a unique sound compared to the other songs. The others are a lot more simple, straight forward rock songs. It won't be a very gothic sounding album. :) haha. Just imagine...

TK23
TK23 Posted Fri 13 Jun, 2008 3:59 AM Quote
I really like Lost! and Viva la Vida.

mili
mili Posted Fri 13 Jun, 2008 6:31 AM Quote
I've only heard it a few times on MySpace, and I'm not too excited. I like Lost, but the rest sends me asleep. I'm with Paul in this, as I like their oldest stuff more.

galletitabonita
galletitabonita Posted Fri 13 Jun, 2008 7:20 AM Quote
to be honest... I don't liked it very much

Moray
Moray Posted Fri 13 Jun, 2008 8:14 AM Quote
My interest is waining. Viva La Vida is an excellent song and there's one or two other highlights, but it doesn't feel that great an album.

Ursina
Ursina Posted Fri 13 Jun, 2008 9:12 AM Quote
hmmm mixed reviews ! but since I've got tix for the gig in September, I better get it, can go to the gig and not sing along, can't we ?! hehe

paul_c
paul_c Posted Fri 13 Jun, 2008 11:27 AM Quote
TK23 wrote:

Oh for Gods sake, they don't have a song called Lost do they?? Now everyone's going to think i stole that one!

DAAAAAAAAAAAAMNIT!! Haha

mili
mili Posted Fri 13 Jun, 2008 5:21 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
TK23 wrote:

Oh for Gods sake, they don't have a song called Lost do they?? Now everyone's going to think i stole that one!

DAAAAAAAAAAAAMNIT!! Haha

You were there first :^)

rebekah
rebekah Posted Fri 13 Jun, 2008 5:50 PM Quote
Well..i LOVE it!! :D

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 13 Jun, 2008 8:32 PM Quote
paul_c wrote:
TK23 wrote:

DAAAAAAAAAAAAMNIT!! Haha

Unless yours has an exclamation mark, think you're fine :)

Love the new album, I got pretty excited even though I tried to convince myself I wasn't :) Really like Cemetaries of London, 42 and Death and..., it's my favourite Coldplay album straight away because it works together as a package so nicely. I love the military, very exact drumming and the atmospheres created are great.

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:57 PM