Travis

Summer work !!
Aude
Aude Posted Mon 24 Mar, 2008 12:37 PM Quote
Hi everyone!
I wondered if anyone had some tips for me: I'm living in France but I want to find a temporary summer job in Ireland, Scotland or Wales.
Should I search for it before going there, and if so where to begin??? I don't trust that much internet for that, but I may be wrong.
Or should I wait to be "on the ground" and go chaotically from pubs to pubs and from companies to companies untill someone finally accepts to employ me?
Cheers!

Re: Summer work !!
Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Mon 24 Mar, 2008 12:44 PM Quote

It can be difficult in Ireland at the moment as almost everytime I'm in the pub these days (which is quite often I'll admit) someone will come in and ask if they are looking for any staff.

Dubz

Rhoobarb
Rhoobarb Posted Mon 24 Mar, 2008 1:04 PM Quote
Aude wrote:
Hi everyone!
I wondered if anyone had some tips for me: I'm living in France but I want to find a temporary summer job in Ireland, Scotland or Wales.
Should I search for it before going there, and if so where to begin??? I don't trust that much internet for that, but I may be wrong.
Or should I wait to be "on the ground" and go chaotically from pubs to pubs and from companies to companies untill someone finally accepts to employ me?
Cheers!

A temping agency should be able to find you something no problem.

Aude
Aude Posted Mon 24 Mar, 2008 1:27 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

It can be difficult in Ireland at the moment as almost everytime I'm in the pub these days (which is quite often I'll admit) someone will come in and ask if they are looking for any staff.

Dubz

Yeah, well I've seen the situation in Ireland a bit, I was there a couple of weeks ago and an Irish guy told me that a lot of foreigners got exploited as they didn't know about minimum wages and stuff like that, and he also told me that a lot of people changed every week.
I wish I could find a serious job, two month long, not too underpaid.... oh, yeah and I also wish peace in the world...

cosmic
cosmic Posted Mon 24 Mar, 2008 7:05 PM Quote
Ur idea sounds amazing! I'd love to get away from here and work somewhere away from Aberdeen ... but I can't cos I have so little cash.

What kind of work would u like to do? I know a lot of students work at hotels in the summer which has live-in accommodation, there's a lot of hotels up the Inverness/Aviemore way that do that ... best thing to do is start writing to them/emailling them and seeing what they can offer. Temping agencies are always good and there is www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk although it can be crap!

Hope it helps!

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Mon 24 Mar, 2008 7:10 PM Quote
Salut !

Tu peux partir Au Pair - j'ai fait ça et me suis bien intégrée.

dee
dee Posted Mon 24 Mar, 2008 7:14 PM Quote
monster

loadzajobs

these are good websites for job hunting in ireland if they are of any help to you.

Aude
Aude Posted Mon 24 Mar, 2008 7:36 PM Quote
cosmic wrote:
What kind of work would u like to do?

All my temporary jobs were in administration, (except a quite painful experience as a chambermaid in a very gloomy hotel... brrrrr...) but I know I don't master english well enough to do such jobs in english-speaking countries, besides I've always felt bored in those jobs. I guess hotel and restauration should suit me. Anyway I'll take what comes!

Absolutpurple wrote:
Tu peux partir Au Pair - j'ai fait ça et me suis bien intégrée

J'y ai pensé mais j'ai pas tellement envie d'être dépendante d'une famille et puis j'ai aussi envie d'enrichir mon CV. Cela dit, c'est une option que j'envisage si je ne vois rien d'autre à faire. Beaucoup de gens me l'ont conseillé aussi. T'es partie où?

Thanks dee, I'll check on those websites !

Moray
Moray Posted Mon 24 Mar, 2008 7:41 PM Quote
s1jobs.com

AbsolutPurple
AbsolutPurple Posted Mon 24 Mar, 2008 7:43 PM Quote
Je suis partie dans le sud est de l'Angleterre, vers Brighton et ma famille était très cool : pas beaucoup de travail (un peu de ménage) et le gamin avait 13 ans - je devais etre là à son retour de l'école.
Je te conseille de passer par une agence c'est plus sur.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Mon 24 Mar, 2008 8:39 PM Quote
Yeah I would recommend a temping agaency too. They can find you jobs asap. Pretty handy.

Aude
Aude Posted Mon 24 Mar, 2008 9:16 PM Quote
So I'll try temping agencies!! And I'll let you if I manage to find something!
Now the question is... where???
I desperately in love with Ireland but I've already been there so, I'm thinking of the UK. We'll see!
For now, I must concentrate on boredome.. errh...I mean...studies!
'night everyone and cheers again.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Mon 24 Mar, 2008 9:18 PM Quote
Nighty night!!!

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Tue 25 Mar, 2008 3:59 PM Quote
I'd suggest you get hold of local papers (try to find them on the internet? or recommended by boardies?) and get agencies names from the papers as they would advertise on it. Then look at their website and take it from there.
Since you've done admin work and you speak french (!) I guess you should find a receptionnist (admin or hotel) job quite easily in big cities. I would also strongly recommend that you lie about the fact that you're only looking for a 2 months job...c'est mon expérience. Good luck.

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 25 Mar, 2008 4:56 PM Quote
Aude wrote:
So I'll try temping agencies!! And I'll let you if I manage to find something!
Now the question is... where???
I desperately in love with Ireland but I've already been there so, I'm thinking of the UK. We'll see!
For now, I must concentrate on boredome.. errh...I mean...studies!
'night everyone and cheers again.

If you're going to go to England, my advice is to head south ( Devon, Sussex, Cornwall) The downside is it's a bit more expensive. Scotland is beautiful but the weather has got a mind of it's own!

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:14 PM