Travis

whhhyyyy
rebekah
rebekah Posted Sun 23 Mar, 2008 4:12 PM Quote
...do we say 'happy easter' instead of 'merry easter'..like christmas? cos we say happy christmas and merry christmas...
it puzzles me a tad..
I bet it's a really obvious answer lol..but yeahh if anyone knows pleasey tell me as i was just wondering
taaa

Re: whhhyyyy
Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Sun 23 Mar, 2008 4:13 PM Quote
Hmmm my pal told me to have a merry Easter on good friday, but not too merry coz Jesus died then haha.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 23 Mar, 2008 4:19 PM Quote

Being Merry is also associated with alcohol, and a Christmas you can be very merry, but easter and lent is a time for abstainace, I think it would be better if it was a time of absinthe instead

Dubz

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sun 23 Mar, 2008 4:26 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I think it would be better if it was a time of absinthe instead

Dubz

I concur.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Sun 23 Mar, 2008 4:28 PM Quote
megg_inc wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I think it would be better if it was a time of absinthe instead

Dubz

I concur.

Doesn't that stuff make you go crazy? I can see myself dying if I try absinthe, I know I'd just overdo it...

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Sun 23 Mar, 2008 4:56 PM Quote
But we don't say Merry Birthday, and that's certainly a merry occasion.

Peculiar
Peculiar Posted Sun 23 Mar, 2008 6:23 PM Quote
I definitely think it would make me go pretty crazy. I remember being in the union with some mates between morning and Afternoon classes and some of the guys got one of my mates some absinth
She had to leave half way through the afternoon class!

Peculiar
Peculiar Posted Sun 23 Mar, 2008 6:23 PM Quote
I definitely think it would make me go pretty crazy. I remember being in the union with some mates between morning and Afternoon classes and some of the guys got one of my mates some absinth cos it was her bday.
She had to leave half way through the afternoon class!

Lucile
Lucile Posted Sun 23 Mar, 2008 6:58 PM Quote
rebekah wrote:
...do we say 'happy easter' instead of 'merry easter'..like christmas? cos we say happy christmas and merry christmas...
it puzzles me a tad..
I bet it's a really obvious answer lol..but yeahh if anyone knows pleasey tell me as i was just wondering
taaa

I think it's simply because the words collocate that way (i.e. they frequently co-occur together). For example Merry co-occurs Christmas and Happy co-occurs with New Year and not the other way round. The frequency of use of the adjective with the noun turned it into a set phrase. I'm not a native speaker but I don't think it would be wrong to say Merry Easter or Merry New Year, but it would just sound weird because the set phrase is more commonly used. Plus the fact that it is a set phrase makes it difficult to replace the adjective with a different one.

rebekah
rebekah Posted Sun 23 Mar, 2008 7:03 PM Quote
Lucile wrote:
rebekah wrote:
it puzzles me a tad..
taaa

I think it's simply because the words collocate that way (i.e. they frequently co-occur together). For example Merry co-occurs Christmas and Happy co-occurs with New Year and not the other way round. The frequency of use of the adjective with the noun turned it into a set phrase. I'm not a native speaker but I don't think it would be wrong to say Merry Easter or Merry New Year, but it would just sound weird because the set phrase is more commonly used. Plus the fact that it is a set phrase makes it difficult to replace the adjective with a different one.

Aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...i think i get it..so it doesn't matter what we say..but if we say merry it just sounds wrong? (is that right)
that makes sense..
thankies :)

Lucile
Lucile Posted Sun 23 Mar, 2008 7:11 PM Quote
rebekah wrote:

Aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...i think i get it..so it doesn't matter what we say..but if we say merry it just sounds wrong? (is that right)
that makes sense..
thankies :)

You're welcome :)
Yeah, that's right. If you say Merry Easter, it's not so much that it sounds wrong, but it does sound weird or at least unusual.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 23 Mar, 2008 7:18 PM Quote
Lucile wrote:
rebekah wrote:
it puzzles me a tad..
taaa

Yeah, what she said.

Dubz

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 23 Mar, 2008 8:40 PM Quote
Lucile wrote:

You're welcome :)
Yeah, that's right. If you say Merry Easter, it's not so much that it sounds wrong, but it does sound weird or at least unusual.

I say Merry Easter. It makes people laugh (probably at me) :)

Rain on the brain
Rain on the brain Posted Sun 23 Mar, 2008 8:41 PM Quote
The italian version would just be good christmas and good easter.

Rhoobarb
Rhoobarb Posted Sun 23 Mar, 2008 9:35 PM Quote
rebekah wrote:
it puzzles me a tad..
taaa

Hey it's a free country, you say whateve suits you :-)

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:20 AM