Travis

Most disliked thing about your own city?
DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 2:32 PM Quote
Whats your most disliked feature of your city? the people, a specific event, the landscape, the architecture, the history, the future?

Be Specific!

Dundee, Scotland: The knocking down of old abandonned churches and old iconic buildings to build new and upcoming modern buildings with 'minimilism' or 'laziness' in them. Also when they build ridiculously retro-chique or 'crap' buildings next to beautiful ancient ones. So irritating, it happens everywhere I know but it really irritates me because I live here and I know what everything was!

Re: Most disliked thing about your own city?
happy_me
happy_me Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 2:37 PM Quote
right now, the rain

on a more general basis I'd say all the drug addicts, hookers and beggars in the main street (or the parade street as some call it)

Sunny
Sunny Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 2:41 PM Quote
Leeds: Chavs - they seem to be in the majority now. They hang around outside MacDonalds, Burger King etc and sit surrounded by their own litter that they've discarded (even though there are plenty of bins). The also use day tickets on the buses and ride around for hours playing R&B and Rap from their mobiles - drives ya crackers.

I can't really complain about the actual city - the architecture isn't bad (especially if you look up at the first+ floors when you're in the city centre) but the 60s buildings further out of the CBD are crummy.

The suburbs to the north are horrible - full of drugs, violence and areas where you wouldn't walk alone, even in daylight.

ParkAvePirate
ParkAvePirate Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 2:51 PM Quote
My neighborhood, South Minneapolis, Minnesota: Drive-bys, gangs, turf-wars (the gang members that tag/spray paint my garage and fence to declare it their property) prostitutes selling their wares in front of my house, crack-houses, shootings, police and people from the suburbs who get lost and scared.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 3:07 PM Quote
London: I hate that when you smile at someone they look at you like yer psycho.

Camden: I hate all the idiots who come here just to try and look cool, but really they are complete twats. And I hate that they are redeveloping the place, Camden is losing it's unique gritty charm. =(

audrey
audrey Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 3:21 PM Quote
louisville, kentucky.

no reliable public transportation. we have busses but the suck and no light rail system is even considered. wack.

Helen *the original*
Helen *the original* Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 3:56 PM Quote
I think every city has its problems and Manchester and Salford are no exception. The thing is i really love where i live, i love nothing more than to drive into the city centre and wander around. It has its problems, the gun violence in a big thing but it doesn't affect me in the area i live, the worst i have are scallies! But to quote Mr Antony H Wilson...

"Most of all, i love Manchester: The crumbling warehouses, the railway arches, the cheap abundant drugs. That's what did it in the end. Not the money, not the music, not even the guns. That is my heroic flaw: my excess of civic pride."

Ok, so take out the drug references and focus of the pride in that quote and that's what most Mancunians have. Civic pride, a large sense of community

monkey
monkey Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 4:02 PM Quote
Dumfries :Scotland

nothing to do unless you enjoy sitting in bar 7 nights a week, which i don't

Monica
Monica Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 4:19 PM Quote
Madrid: there are a lot of repairs in every part of the city, and that makes very difficult to move around it.
The pollution.
The underground--> many days some lines don't work properly and you arrive wherever you want to go sooooo late.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 4:35 PM Quote
Belfast, Ireland

Sectarianism

th74
th74 Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 4:35 PM Quote
St. Paul, Minnesota:

In the summers it's the humidity-you can't go outside for weeks at a time. Also, there is nothing to do as far as night life in St. Paul. It's like a ghost town after 5:00!

isma
isma Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 4:39 PM Quote
Lille - France

The rain
and It's dog shit town

Lucile
Lucile Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 4:50 PM Quote
Lyon, France : I guess that what I dislike most is the people. A lot of them are rude, cold and unfriendly. They won't say hi or thank you, they won't hold the door in shops. They don't care about anything or anyone but themselves.
Oh and I hate that there's hardly ever a decent gig and this is mostly due to the fact that the Lyon crowds are perceived as cold and fussy. It is a well-known fact among singers and bands that if you can entertain an audience in Lyon, you can do it anywhere else.

ParkAvePirate
ParkAvePirate Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 4:57 PM Quote
th74 wrote:
St. Paul, Minnesota:

In the summers it's the humidity-you can't go outside for weeks at a time. Also, there is nothing to do as far as night life in St. Paul. It's like a ghost town after 5:00!

You are totally right about St. Paul, there is nothing to do there unless you are going to a game or concert at the Xcel Center.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Tue 14 Aug, 2007 5:02 PM Quote
th74 wrote:
St. Paul, Minnesota:In the summers it's the humidity-you can't go outside for weeks at a time. Also, there is nothing to do as far as night life in St. Paul. It's like a ghost town after 5:00!

I'd like Minnesota Mary's take on this. Please compare humidity up there to humidity in Texas.

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:02 PM