Travis

Congratulations Norway...
TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sat 16 May, 2009 11:18 PM Quote
...to the victory in the ESC!! Also congratulations to Iceland(my favourite, my god whatta cutie!) and Azerbaijan with a Swedish singer! :)

Wasn't a very good night for Sweden and Finland I'm afraid, but I'm happy anyway! :)

Re: Congratulations Norway...
Wolfy
Wolfy Posted Sat 16 May, 2009 11:26 PM Quote
Congrats from Greece, its a pity for Sweden, Denmark and Lithuania for their low place despite their lovely songs...
I am very happy with our 7th place because our song was.... well you know...
Also congrats Estonia and UK (personal favs)!!!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 16 May, 2009 11:29 PM Quote
Norway were nothing special !!

And the lead singer was unibrowed We know you shaved the middle bit !!!!

Dubz

Hanne
Hanne Posted Sun 17 May, 2009 8:13 AM Quote
I don't really see that the Icenlandic song was that brilliant, but maybe that's because I'm not male :)

Lithuania should've gotten more points in my opinion, but there you go... Tastes are so different that it's quite silly to even have a competition for the 'best song'.

mili
mili Posted Sun 17 May, 2009 9:54 AM Quote
Norway had a winning combination, the singer is Belorussian by birth (=Eastern European votes) and Norway is a small unoffending country, who'll get votes from all the Nordic countries + the song wasn't the worst.

Anyway, the voting was as predictable as ever.

Congrats Norway!

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sun 17 May, 2009 10:37 AM Quote
I can't actually believe we're discussing Eurovision on a this forum. I thought everyone here was too concerned with proper music to be listening to this bland, twee, derivative bullshit. I was forced to watch this by my flatmate. Every song either sounded like something out of X factor or worse Scooter !! It really was Eurotrash. Norway's song was no better or worse than any other shite that was played/sung. And the whole voting system has become a farce with countries voting for their neighbours. It's Bullshit.

Dubz

mili
mili Posted Sun 17 May, 2009 10:55 AM Quote
The kids wanted to watch it, so it was a bit family fun, not very serious. I don't think anyone of us really listened to the music. I took some pleasure in guessing who's voting for whom.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Sun 17 May, 2009 11:01 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
I can't actually believe we're discussing Eurovision on a this forum. I thought everyone here was too concerned with proper music to be listening to this bland, twee, derivative bullshit. I was forced to watch this by my flatmate. Every song either sounded like something out of X factor or worse Scooter !! It really was Eurotrash. Norway's song was no better or worse than any other shite that was played/sung. And the whole voting system has become a farce with countries voting for their neighbours. It's Bullshit.

Dubz

Who are we to judge what's proper music?

In any case, the ESC is its own genre. It's not so much about the music as it's about trying to get people to notice you so they'll vote for you. Bleached hair, over-the-top hosts, skimpy costumes and sing-back music are all integral parts of. You either love it or hate it, but don't take it too seriously - not matter what.

Talking about Scooter. I channel surfed a bit after the show and came past a German channel where they were interviewing two members of the German jury. One of them was the "singer" from Scooter.

Loubsi
Loubsi Posted Sun 17 May, 2009 11:16 AM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
Every song either sounded like something out of X factor or worse Scooter !! It really was Eurotrash. Norway's song was no better or worse than any other shite that was played/sung. And the whole voting system has become a farce with countries voting for their neighbours. It's Bullshit.

Dubz

I agree with you and I hadn't watched that thing for many many years but yesterday my sister and her boyfriend stayed for dinner, we ended up watching the ESC and we had such a laugh! OMG!! (except during the French song because France was not ridiculous, France was just pathetic...) I think it's like watching the worst of every European country and it's fun to watch... once every ten years!!

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Sun 17 May, 2009 11:29 AM Quote
Hanne wrote:

Lithuania should've gotten more points in my opinion, but there you go... Tastes are so different that it's quite silly to even have a competition for the 'best song'.

Especially when it's crap music competing ;)

I do think Eurovision is fun though, our commentators were ace and some of the songs were actually better than others. Well half of the songs were okay, Icelands song was good and the rest were shite ;)

I don't watch it because I expect a fair results(that would be pretty idiotic cause you can't compete in music, it's only taste). I think it's a fun stunt and I have gay friends who are over the moon about the ESC! :D

Ps. Philip, I liked Greece's song(a real partystarter) and I like the fact that you're slowly returning to this board ;)

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Sun 17 May, 2009 12:39 PM Quote
All i saw of it was Ireland last Thursday. My mom was obsessed with the presenters hair, everytime we saw him she'd be like "it's not real, look at it, it's flopping all around the place, it's not on properly!" I had to keep telling her to calm down, it was very funny.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 17 May, 2009 2:53 PM Quote
I liked the Norwegian song, he deserved to win. Last time I watched it was probably 8 years ago and it's fun every once in a while. Awful yet compelling.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Sun 17 May, 2009 4:41 PM Quote
France did poorly as usual...

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 10:10 AM