Travis

Re: What do you like especially about a Travis song? Highlig
Rammsfer
Rammsfer Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 8:21 PM Quote
The violin intro part in WDlAROM?

and

The chorus of 'Turn', it has so much energy!

irenesfor
irenesfor Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 10:07 PM Quote
All the things you have said are exactly the same for me... but, I really like the More than Us' "highlight", I don't know why, but since the first time I heard it, I fell in love with the song :)
I'll think in more...

damon
damon Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 11:43 PM Quote
what i like the most of travis sing are two things,
Must of frans acoustics, simple chords,

****and the most important: ANDY'S GUITARS, it's like if they want to fly to inmortality of beauty and cleaness, but also taking such a respect to fran's voice, like "i could make you crap on the stage, but i won't" , so respectful and rocking, everytime i wonder how andy would play in other band,,, would he crash guitarsor something like that??
i don't know, for me the best way to listen to music is with earphones, and listening every instrument from the beggening until it mutes, is like a very different voice telling you different things, andy's guitars always tell you a rock story...

morticiaaddams
morticiaaddams Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 11:50 PM Quote
I don't know where to start..i like way to many songs for way to many reasons.I am really into lyrics but I really get into the whole thing though I really think I like the guitar alot.
I think if you took anything out of the songs it wouldn't be the same. They all put their hearts into each song.
Here it goes though....
I love the intro guitar on side..I love the bleeps in the middle of the song where the light blinks along in the video.
Sing...I absolutely love the bango..it is just great.
I love re-offender..I love neals part in the intro part of the song...frans"everybody thinks your well everybody thinks I am ill..watching you fall apart. fall under your spell.but your fooling yourself..your fooling yourself"

My eyes..has always had a spot in my heart..especially after seeing the video..it confirmed it was about having a baby..and since I have two kids it definitely is something I understand. "And either way, I will pray, you will be wise
Pretty soon you will see the tears in my eyes"

"before you were young" I love the piano in that one and the the gong. "i'll take the breath away from your sighs
and wipe the tears away from your eyes
and hope the fire never dies
inside you"

i love "last train" my favorite part is when fran goes whoo hoo...lol and I love "shes so strange" It's just funny songs and I just love them for it.
I could go on through all their songs "I love tied to the 90s","U16 girls","good day to die","the line is fine" I think i am getting carried away..lol.

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Fri 24 Apr, 2009 3:40 AM Quote
I don't know a thing about music either, but...
- Indefinitely is a fantastic song, the reasons have been told already.
- I Love You Anyways: guitar, bassline, guitar solo.
- Writing To Reach You: guitar, drums... I mean, that's a great song xD.
- The Fear. I love this song just beacuse of the drums. Neil's such a great drummer!
- Pipe Dreams: bass sounds so good.
- Happy To Hang Around. Drums, bassline. And when it comes this little "silence" and then the fantastic guitar solo.
- Love Will Come Through: guitar riff.
- Big Chair: drums, drums, drums!
- Last Words: drums/percussions, banjo, guitar riff.
- Friends. I just love all this song, fantastic song. One of the best ones of Travis. Guitar riff, bassline, drums, all it's perfect. Plus, of course, Fran's voice :o).

Sorry, I got a little overexcited about this... and I don't know anything about music xD.
You actually made me go to have a listen of my favourite songs xD.

Ana_Smith
Ana_Smith Posted Fri 24 Apr, 2009 4:01 AM Quote
damon wrote:
i don't know, for me the best way to listen to music is with earphones, and listening every instrument from the beggening until it mutes, is like a very different voice telling you different things, andy's guitars always tell you a rock story...

Could never have put that into words in a better way.

Music to me is sort of irrational, blood starts pumping through my body and then I know, that's my highlight. That's when I truly feel the music (an interpretation of the lyrics, cause there's not one without the other)
Promise to get into detail another day..saying why I think my fav Travis songs are the best :)

Nell
Nell Posted Fri 24 Apr, 2009 9:35 PM Quote
damon wrote:
and listening every instrument from the beggening until it mutes, is like a very different voice telling you different things, andy's guitars always tell you a rock story...

EXACTLY!!!

That's what I freakin' meant..that's how I listen to songs...but do u realise how many people (friends of mine etc.) just listen to a song and mostly just hear the main voice. They don't get the nuances ...the different stories - every and each instrument and voice tells.

And with Travis I got the feeling they're like playing along very well...in perfect harmony - but also with some jokes or teasing parts in it...

Ok I'll go nuts now..

Just wanted to agree with you...and erm...thx for speaking my mind.

(also about Andy - and how he plays his guitar...but that goes for me for bass too - and drums)

so erm..night night

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 24 Apr, 2009 10:41 PM Quote
The way the Funny Thing rock-out is squeezed to the last guitar feedback-wailing drop. Underneath the noise the confusion and fragility still live and always will.

Also the first chords of WTRY because the next 45 minutes are very special.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 25 Apr, 2009 1:50 AM Quote
Totally agree about the listening to the different instruments thing. Some people think i'm weird that i like to hear a song without vocals but i don't understand why that's weird. A piano piece in the background has probably had more work put into it than the singing and lyrics, it's part of what makes a great song a great song, hearing the background stuff that isn't quite so obvious when you just listen to it normally. :)

I love the sparkle and twinkle during Quite Free. I can't explain it, it's just AMAZING! I love the ROCK sound of Chinese Blues and i adore the piano on Before You Were Young. Obviously Sarah, when it's just Fran and Claes, amazing! :) There are so many moments to mention though. That's just the Ode moments.

winatel
winatel Posted Sat 25 Apr, 2009 3:24 AM Quote

Guitar in the last chorus..in the Humpty Dumpty Love Song.
It's like.. Fran's voice is very calm, but suddenly guitar comes into play, and it feels like..emotional explosion.
the guitar got the feeling of the man in the song. It reveals his feeling instead of Fran's voice.

and the 'then I'm coming for you' in Last Train..
that 'coming' part is...very strong. When I first listened to that song, it gave me a chill.

frandougeil
frandougeil Posted Sat 25 Apr, 2009 9:04 AM Quote
I love soooooo many songs so i figured there has to be a couple of reasons;D
Firstly OF COZ their AWESOME intros,every single one is special in their own awesome way like LWCT,Somewhere Else,Re-Offender,Turn,Flowers in the window,WDIAROM etc,etc!!
Secondly,Their exquisite beautifully written lyrics e.g, Slide Show
Cause there is no design for life
There's no devils haircut in my mind
There is not a wonderwall
to climb or step around,
Indefinitely
Time exists but just on your wrist so don't panic
Moments last and lifetimes are lost in a day
So wind your watches down please.
[So lovely and always so easy to relate to=]

Thirdly,Superb music arrangement,
ANDY'S AMAZING KILLER RIFFS,NEIL'S DISCERNING DRUMMING SKILLS combined with DOUGIE'S BRILLIANT BASS SKILLS and great backing voals not forgetting FRAN'S STUNNING VOCALS esp love when he coos in BYWY I love you,I love you,I love youuuuu....u.uuu!!And his emotive/expressive singing in ballads like Dear Diary and Humpty Dumpty Love Song=D He's a genius!

Fourthly,
Sweet surprises in their songs like the many wondrous hidden tracks,and for a change Dougie taking on the mic in HUGE hits like TURN:D
Lastly and one of my faves is because of the F U N factor present in most tracks!
E.g the many HEY'S in Tied to the 90's, nananananananananananana in U16 girls, Yay-yay-yay in my eyes and many many more=DDD

warrior74
warrior74 Posted Sun 26 Apr, 2009 7:39 PM Quote
I really like the song "Before you were young". It realy just reminds me of just plain "stuff' that has happened in my life. People I have had to let go of and some people that have just dissapeared for some reason or another. I told my wife before we attended are first Travis concert this year in Chi-Town. That if they sang that song live I was going to go get a Travis tattoo. And guess what happened..LOL. Well,I Currently have a new Travis tattoo. It is the "Eye" off of the current CD. I will post a copy of it when I get it finished. To all the people we met @ the show I want to say "Thanks" for making it a great one and I hope to meet you all again sometime.

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Sun 26 Apr, 2009 7:49 PM Quote
warrior74 wrote:
I really like the song "Before you were young". It realy just reminds me of just plain "stuff' that has happened in my life. People I have had to let go of and some people that have just dissapeared for some reason or another. I told my wife before we attended are first Travis concert this year in Chi-Town. That if they sang that song live I was going to go get a Travis tattoo. And guess what happened..LOL. Well,I Currently have a new Travis tattoo. It is the "Eye" off of the current CD. I will post a copy of it when I get it finished. To all the people we met @ the show I want to say "Thanks" for making it a great one and I hope to meet you all again sometime.

Hey there Jay...was very nice to meet you and Lori in Chicago. I'm glad they played Before You Were Young so that now you have your Travis tattoo. How cool!
I'm glad you made it here to Travisland...welcome in!!

PictureInWhite
PictureInWhite Posted Sun 26 Apr, 2009 8:06 PM Quote
I love so many songs for so many reasons, but my absolute favourite thing in any of them is Andy's big guitar solo in "As You Are". It's not as prominent on the recording, but live....gah....makes me cry every time.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 26 Apr, 2009 10:14 PM Quote
PictureInWhite wrote:
I love so many songs for so many reasons, but my absolute favourite thing in any of them is Andy's big guitar solo in "As You Are". It's not as prominent on the recording, but live....gah....makes me cry every time.

I very nearly nominated this. Good choice :)

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:00 AM