Travis

What do you like especially about a Travis song? Highlight?
Nell
Nell Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 2:29 PM Quote

Ok this may be a very dumm thread - but I'm totally interested in such things. If you're too - answer me..or else this thread will go and die like the other ones before :)

So for example: The very famous song "Sing".

I really like the melody Fran sings, but I even like the bass line more! And totally love the broken Chords Andy playes on the bango. So my highlight here would be the bassline.

Also the bassline in "One night", the bass and rhythm in "Pipe dreams" because they seem to be different from the other instruments and the singing - but I love the melody there too.

Or in "Eyes wide open" I love how the instruments set in after each other and how the bass plays dotted notes (if I recall that right).

Or the piano part in "Chinese Blues" (especially the solo instr. part) but I really like that the piano is playing the same riffs throughout the whole song - whilst there is a chordchange at the end...love that..

so do you know what I mean?

Re: What do you like especially about a Travis song? Highlig
leticia
leticia Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 2:52 PM Quote
HI Nell!

I don't know much about music (I mean, riffs, and all that : P) but I can tell you more or less what I like about 2 of my favourite Travis songs:

I Love You Anyways: I love the bass when it starts and the drums...

Indefinitely: When Fran sings: "Shine a light on me..." and you can listen to the guitar...it's amazing! It takes me to a whole different place... I close my eyes everytime I listen to that part (crazy? LOL... perhaps).

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 3:10 PM Quote
Indefinetely is one of the best Travis songs EVER!

One of my favourite parts is the: "Now I can see the light, circling around your reflection", with the strings and all! It's just AMAZING!

leticia
leticia Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 3:17 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
Indefinetely is one of the best Travis songs EVER!

One of my favourite parts is the: "Now I can see the light, circling around your reflection", with the strings and all! It's just AMAZING!

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!! (I had to say it in Spanish) > Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I totally agree...

wdiarom
wdiarom Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 3:43 PM Quote

mmmm...let me see:

I love the guitar in WTRY (i think that's called riff...i don't know), it's powerful.

and the drums in Selfish Jean (changes my mood inmediately!)

love the guitar all along My eyes (that song has a different meaning to me now, never get tired of it)

the way Fran sings Tied to the 90´s chorus (especially at 1:46) feels nostalgic, love it!

the piano in Good Feeling (especially at 2:07) and in Perfect Heaven Space

and of course love that part of pipe dreams too and indefinitely(i could continue for ever :DD)

Kaizer
Kaizer Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 4:04 PM Quote
There are some details in the songs that I love:

In Big Chair, when Fran sings "You see, it could have been me instead of you, it could have been me if you wanted to". Absolutely beautiful how the verse gets better in this part.

In Friends, the second verse, Fran sings "...who makes the ebd so lovely". A guitar bit appears, and it feels like it comes from behind and glides up my back.

Also love the drums in Before You Were Young, as well as the end of Afterglow, when Fran reaches those high notes.

Monica
Monica Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 4:35 PM Quote
The bass on "Selfish Jean".
Andy's guitar on "Side".
The piano on "Battleships".

Cynthia
Cynthia Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 4:46 PM Quote
I love the stripped down piano intro. of "Before You Were Young." Often it's the simplest melodies that resonate to some deep corner of my soul, and this definitely does that. Oh yes, and the giant gong just ROCKS! I wanted to leap to the stage and play it last week in Chicago. (But I know better - hardly worth getting kicked out of the venue! haha)

The crescendo of the strings on "More Than Us" that builds during the "I wish that I could fly, fly, fly away. . " part gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

seasonticket
seasonticket Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 5:01 PM Quote
In Somewhere Else, the distorted guitar before the bridge.

In Before You Were Young, the neverending drum loop.

In Long Way Down, the unusual time signature.

In Coming Around, I really like the way it is about the most downbeat song going but to a really happy tune so it tricks you into being happy even as you are singing about being worried that you are getting depression again.

OH and in Love Will Come Through, I love the way the guitar riff reminds me of auditory illusions.

leticia
leticia Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 5:03 PM Quote
Cynthia wrote:

The crescendo of the strings on "More Than Us" that builds during the "I wish that I could fly, fly, fly away. . " part gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

Yess... exactly!!!

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 5:08 PM Quote
Cynthia wrote:
I love the stripped down piano intro. of "Before You Were Young." Often it's the simplest melodies that resonate to some deep corner of my soul, and this definitely does that. Oh yes, and the giant gong just ROCKS! I wanted to leap to the stage and play it last week in Chicago. (But I know better - hardly worth getting kicked out of the venue! haha)

Haha I love it too

when my sister heard that song live in Munich she was so taken by it that she even started to cry...

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 5:17 PM Quote
seasonticket wrote:

I love that too.

I also love the part in Mid-Life Krysis that goes:
"I waste my time, I waste my! Don't waste my time, don't waste my!". It suddenly makes the song SO much better!

I could pick out parts of every Travis song that are special to me, but I'll just write them down as they come.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 5:25 PM Quote
Great idea! :) I'm sure i'll think of a few things but can't think right now. lol

Nell
Nell Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 6:41 PM Quote
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
seasonticket wrote:

I love that too.

I also love the part in Mid-Life Krysis that goes:
"I waste my time, I waste my! Don't waste my time, don't waste my!". It suddenly makes the song SO much better!

Yep like that part too, but even more the first refrain (not the last one!) because at the first one (second too) Fran goes down with his voice on the "sis" in "Mid-Life Krysis" Love it!

Cynthia
Cynthia Posted Thu 23 Apr, 2009 7:59 PM Quote
I've professed my love of this part of "We Are Monkeys" on here before, but I absolutely adore the "ba-na-na" background vocal. It always makes me smile! And there's the "private zoo" remark. . . love that too!

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:45 PM