Travis

Re: Battling with depression
sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 6:17 PM Quote
in fact, totally out of the blue, I very much like 'Dear Diary' and always felt it was written by a depressed person : dear diary, what is wrong with me...

spid
spid Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 6:29 PM Quote
Just like to say - I've been there, (PPD - twice), taken the drugs, disliked the drugs personally, come off the drugs, experienced much deeper lows but much higher highs at times, learnt to control the extremes, had a husband who somehow manages to put up with me through it all. Over the years the stigma surrounding this issue has begun to lift and people have begun to admit that they have had depression or need help. Part of the therapy involved in depression is talking and feeling supported. Depression distorts how you view the world and (for me especailly) I over analyse EVERYTHING! almost to the point of paranoia.

Grin - I agree it will seem strange to someone who doesn't have depression as to why you need to talk/ advertise it. The thing is the more people that know the less you are ashamed of how you feel and feel less like a mad freek.
I also find it strange that you like to go out and get wrecked and then post it on here too (but it is quite funny and entertaining!)- I would never get that drunk, but that's just me.

Dubz - you just keep going up in my estimation!

All you other sufferers - hugs and understanding from me

TheBoyWithAName
TheBoyWithAName Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 6:52 PM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
TheBoyWithAName wrote:
I won't write much more in this thread as I feel I've been so open about it that I want to be, but I find what all of you write very interesting!
It's very helpful to hear others experiences with depression....

I don't think that people, who haven't suffer from a difficult depression understands that the medicine is necessary though. I don't know how I will feel after the pills, but for the last 5 years I've been in a very dark place that isn't me either, so I don't want to be there any longer...Better to take some pills, than doing something more drastic about it...

Very pleased to have shared all this with you, big hug dear!

Bug hugs from me too!

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 7:34 PM Quote
spid wrote:
Just like to say - I've been there, (PPD - twice), taken the drugs, disliked the drugs personally, come off the drugs, experienced much deeper lows but much higher highs at times, learnt to control the extremes, had a husband who somehow manages to put up with me through it all. Over the years the stigma surrounding this issue has begun to lift and people have begun to admit that they have had depression or need help. Part of the therapy involved in depression is talking and feeling supported. Depression distorts how you view the world and (for me especailly) I over analyse EVERYTHING! almost to the point of paranoia.

Grin - I agree it will seem strange to someone who doesn't have depression as to why you need to talk/ advertise it. The thing is the more people that know the less you are ashamed of how you feel and feel less like a mad freek.
I also find it strange that you like to go out and get wrecked and then post it on here too (but it is quite funny and entertaining!)- I would never get that drunk, but that's just me.

Dubz - you just keep going up in my estimation!

All you other sufferers - hugs and understanding from me

Merci, all the good stuff back at you mate.

Nell
Nell Posted Fri 28 Nov, 2008 8:07 PM Quote

Wow...thank you very much for those detail informations...

Glad id helped. Those thoughts you've been talking about do they really disappear? I mean totally? ..f.e.: I mean thoughts like...when you're waiting for the train to come...and when he arrives you wonder how it'd be to stand in front of it, in the middle of the rails...

Or this urge to do chop somethig else instead of onions and tomatos?...

Do thoughts like that really go away - for good?

Is there a whole new acceptance of what you are and where you put in in this life?
(Don't wanna mock or anything else - I'm really interested in this - don't have to answer either!)

mozman68
mozman68 Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 1:06 AM Quote
I just got depressed at the thought of reading through 7 pages of this crap....decided not to and stay happy instead.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 6:58 AM Quote
mozman68 wrote:
I just got depressed at the thought of reading through 7 pages of this crap....decided not to and stay happy instead.

but still decided to be an arsehole and posted your lovely words...classy.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 7:04 AM Quote
Nell wrote:

Those thoughts you've been talking about do they really disappear? I mean totally? ..f.e.: I mean thoughts like...when you're waiting for the train to come...and when he arrives you wonder how it'd be to stand in front of it, in the middle of the rails...

Is there a whole new acceptance of what you are and where you put in in this life?

The thoughts do disappear (in my case they did, in other cases i know they mostly disappeared but not entirely). You find yourself mostly happy or normal. There is no emotions or feelings or thoughts that are so negative that you feel inside so much pain that your only solution seems to be death. Any kind of thoughts like you mentionning wouldn't disappear as I get the feeling they are more questionning, curiosity thougths. I had those and loads of people have thoughts like that, it doesn't make them suicidal. A real depression changes you, takes power over who you are and distroys you if you let it. If you don't life wins and it's fucking good. It is for me.
As for the acceptance question : I guess you deal with this more in therapy. But having been through that process again, as Weirdmom said, once you know how to identify the problem you can deal with it by yourself. There is a point in life where therapy is just not necessary anymore and that is freedom for me at least.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 9:57 AM Quote
Battling is the word.

Most people who have depression often do not know they are depressed.

There are two types, reactionary and clinical. Clinical is more of a problem as there is no reason for it.

It manifests in different ways , some cope , some dont. I have had it a couple of times and have had this year. I know because I know how I am when I have it.Everything grinds to a halt.

I admire you for talking about it abs , you are open about most things and thats really good . Poor Grinner , heh , she meant well , who knows , drinking to excess , might be a form of depression or could, cause it .

Dont forget our Band leader has had it too.

AbsGinger
AbsGinger Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 10:54 AM Quote
sorry angel wrote:
AbsGinger wrote:
The thing is that i had the feeling i was pretending everything was ok and that i was feeling well and happy in my posts when i've been having a real though time for more than a year.

and how did sharing that make you feel? Better?

It feels as if i'm out of the closet AND yes i'm feeling better.

spid
spid Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 6:11 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

Glad id helped. Those thoughts you've been talking about do they really disappear? I mean totally? ..f.e.: I mean thoughts like...when you're waiting for the train to come...and when he arrives you wonder how it'd be to stand in front of it, in the middle of the rails...

(Don't wanna mock or anything else - I'm really interested in this - don't have to answer either!)

In my case the thoughts (which never got to suicidal thank god)come back but now I know how to deal with them and recognise what is happening. But i also know when I'm getting too high and that alerts me cos a down always eventually follows.

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 6:49 PM Quote
spid wrote:
Nell wrote:

In my case the thoughts (which never got to suicidal thank god)come back but now I know how to deal with them and recognise what is happening. But i also know when I'm getting too high and that alerts me cos a down always eventually follows.

Very interesting, thanks. It's really good to read other experiences.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 9:26 PM Quote
weirdmom wrote:

You don't turn into a numb zombie when you go on medication. It is more like a safety net that keeps you from falling too low. Dangerously low.

Erm, when I was on it I turned into a numb zombie! People react differently to meds, it's not gonna be the same for eveyrone.

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 29 Nov, 2008 9:43 PM Quote

It also depends which medication you are prescribed, I had stuff for a wee while a few years back for panic attacks, it had absolutely no side effects. However I know of someone who was prescribed valium for the same thing, there are loads of different meds and loads of different factors involved in side effects. Some of which can be psycosematic (if you believe you are taking something that makes you drowsy...)

Dubz

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Sun 30 Nov, 2008 9:47 AM Quote
Lemon Grinner wrote:
weirdmom wrote:

You don't turn into a numb zombie when you go on medication. It is more like a safety net that keeps you from falling too low. Dangerously low.

Erm, when I was on it I turned into a numb zombie! People react differently to meds, it's not gonna be the same for eveyrone.

It really depends what you were prescribed. Was it antidepressants? And what kind?
Dubz is mentionning valium for example and that is a calming medication, not an antidepressant.

Pages Previous 1...3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Next All Times BST Current Time 3:36 AM