Travis

Re: Where R U from? (Countries, Cities, Stories)
TK23
TK23 Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 8:44 PM Quote
I live in the Tampa Bay (GO RAYS!) area of Florida, US. It's a pretty cool central area. I've lived here all my life, in the same house with my family. I love Florida, and where I live, but I hate that all the beaches around here are on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. The beaches on the East side of the state are much nicer! I love the ocean. That's my only complaint. ; )

As far as languages go, I not surprisingly only speak English. I've taken two years of French in school, and I know a little German.

lilly
lilly Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 8:48 PM Quote
Nell wrote:

I once lived in Munich - my family still does...(and I do know that kind of "national sports..." creepy though.....

Why is it creepy?
I thought it was the un-creepiest thing in the world ;D
You have to know the rules, though... and I can't even explain them because there are so MANY ;)... in one situation one expressions can mean the speaker is proud of you - and in another situation a similar expression can mean he thinks you are a horrible brat.

moominbadger
moominbadger Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 9:45 PM Quote
Oh wow, this is a really interesting thread, so many of you have lived...just about everywhere!

Um, here's my list, not particularly interesting...

1.Lived in Pelsall, a village near Walsall in the West Mids for the first 18 yrs of my life before going to...

2.Uni in Nottingham (where Robin Hood supposedly came from, for all you non-Brits!). Lived in halls of residence there for a year

3. Moved to a suburb of Nottingham, West Bridgford, during this time met my future husband Matt

4. Moved north of Nottingham to Mansfield, a complete and utter dump! Bought a house there cos it was cheap.

5. Sold house after 3 yrs and left Mansfield, were completely homeless for 6 wks (!) while we travelled round Australia before going to...

6. New Zealand! Got work in a hospital in a city called Palmerston North, about 2 hrs from Wellington on the North Island. Loved it and wanted to settle there but hubby decided he wanted to study back in UK so moved back there after 1 yr

7. Lived in Taunton, Somerset, for 3 yrs. Very pretty area but very miserable people!

8. Have just moved up to Selby, North Yorkshire....after getting married (in West Bridgford, that place I mentioned earlier!!) two months ago. Don't think we'll be here for very long as it reminds us of Mansfield (bit of a dump!!).
Who knows where we'll end up next??!! Fancy going back to New Zealand really!!!

Nell
Nell Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 10:28 PM Quote
lilly wrote:
Nell wrote:

I once lived in Munich - my family still does...(and I do know that kind of "national sports..." creepy though.....

Why is it creepy?
I thought it was the un-creepiest thing in the world ;D
You have to know the rules, though... and I can't even explain them because there are so MANY ;)... in one situation one expressions can mean the speaker is proud of you - and in another situation a similar expression can mean he thinks you are a horrible brat.

Well f.e.: This summer we kinda had a class-meeting of the Bournemouth 07- in Munich. It probably was a bad time to choose Munich, since it was celebrating it's 800th birthday. But nevertheless at one point we all felt very hungry and thirsty and went down to an italien restaurant to get something to drink - and a bowl of icecream. But the guy selling this stuff suddendly starts shouting at us so we went on - to the Marienplatz....(never ever eat there!) They were so unfriendly: Why? Just because we didn't dicide quick enough. The rest. was so pumped, that they kept on telling us to order or leave...(we've been there like 5 minutes or so...)

strange....

but maybe they were just overworked because of the festival....so I'm kinda feeling weird walking through those streets again - you never know what happens in Munich...

But on the other hand - They've got a greeeeeeeeeat mexican pub...great - just love it!

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 10:51 PM Quote
Born and bred in Ireland, Cork to be precise :) I'd never really want to move too far away from Ireland for too long, I love it here! I would love to live in London when I'm older though. However, my dad is moving to the Virgin Islands for two years, so I'll be living there for some months of the year :)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 10:51 PM Quote
I'm originally from Paisley, Scotland. Which to be honest is a complete dump of a place, it's quite picturesque and a lovely little town but is overrun by neds, junkies and general fuckin scumbags who now hunt in packs and have no respect for anyone.

I moved to Dublin about 8 years ago and have never looked back. Dublin also has it's fair share of "cream crackers" but with the influx of foreign workers it has become a more tollerant and more cosmopolitan place.

Dubz

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 10:53 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

I moved to Dublin about 8 years ago and have never looked back. Dublin also has it's fair share of "cream crackers" but with the influx of foreign workers it has become a more tollerant and more cosmopolitan place.

Dubz

I'd also love to live in Dublin for a few years :)

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 11:00 PM Quote
fenchurch wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

haha you must be the only person I know from The People's Republic of Cork who says that most of you guys believe that Cork is the real capital and we're all just Jackeens or blow-ins haha

Dubz

fenchurch
fenchurch Posted Fri 17 Oct, 2008 11:03 PM Quote
Scottish Dubliner wrote:
fenchurch wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

haha you must be the only person I know from The People's Republic of Cork who says that most of you guys believe that Cork is the real capital and we're all just Jackeens or blow-ins haha

Dubz

I know, I feel like a traitor for saying it! And don't get me wrong, Cork will always be the real capital in my mind, I just wanna try Dublin for a few years!

kiwi
kiwi Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 1:20 AM Quote
moominbadger wrote:
Fancy going back to New Zealand really!!!

To Palmerston North? It's supposed to be the enemy of my home town, New Plymouth. I used to visit my godparents there when I was wee, it's all right... but NP is better! Or the south island... anywhere but Auckland :)

Jay Parker
Jay Parker Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 11:40 AM Quote
I am from Moscow, Russia. Was born here and haven't moved anywhere ever since, though I do a lot of travelling :)

sonja
sonja Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 2:06 PM Quote
I`m from a small country called Serbia! :0) Have never moved from here all my life,but in fact,lived in few countres :0)-first Yougoslavia,than Serbia and Montenegro and finally Serbia! it`s because it has changed a lot in one small period of time,her limits,names... :0)I`m from second large city called Nish,but study in the capital-Belgrade!

Edel
Edel Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 2:08 PM Quote
fenchurch wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

I'd love to be in Dublin now sinking a pint of the black stuff

DavesUrMan
DavesUrMan Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 2:23 PM Quote
Born in Lochee, Dundee 21.5 years ago in the same bedroom I lived in for about 18 years with my family in a nice old old 1820s house that was meant for the jute mill's manager in Lochee.

Now live on the beach in broughty ferry, Dundee, opposite a 16th century beach castle with my lovely wifey Beatle Babe

Scottish Dubliner
Scottish Dubliner Posted Sat 18 Oct, 2008 3:18 PM Quote
Edel wrote:
fenchurch wrote:
Scottish Dubliner wrote:

Dubz

I'd love to be in Dublin now sinking a pint of the black stuff

I'm just about to head down town. I promise I'll hit The Foggy Dew and have a pint o'Porter just for you Edel !!!

Dubz

Pages Previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:06 AM