Travis

Release Before You Were Young as a single!
gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 11:36 AM Quote
I know Song To self is the next single (in the UK at least), but for the 3rd single, it really should be Before You Were Young.

Why, I hear you ask?

Well, did you know that it is by far the most popular single Ode To J. Smith song on UK iTunes? Check it yourself!

It's even made it into Travis' 'Top songs' section on iTunes!

Also, it's made it into the iTunes top Alternative songs chart at number 67! - LOOK! (That's even without a single release, btw!)

It makes sense to release the most popular songs, does it not?

By releasing Before You Were Young as a single, this would increase sales of Ode To J. Smith by a lot, I would estimate.

If Travis are ever going to get some kind of chart success back (even though they don't crave it anymore), then Before You Were Young may I suggest is the song to start it for them, after Song To Self has laid the foundations, got more people interested again and added a few more sales. It is their best chance. Maybe it will end up their Chasing Cars...

Am I right? If you agree, reply here!

Re: Release Before You Were Young as a single!
paul_c
paul_c Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 1:10 PM Quote
I agree that it's a brilliant song, one of the better ones on Ode (the album hasn't really hit home with me yet!), but before i wouldn't have agreed that it would have been an obvious single.

I guess you can't argue with the facts though :)

purplesky
purplesky Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 3:15 PM Quote
gladsadmad wrote:
I know Song To self is the next single (in the UK at least), but for the 3rd single, it really should be Before You Were Young.

Why, I hear you ask?

Well, did you know that it is by far the most popular single Ode To J. Smith song on UK iTunes? Check it yourself!

It's even made it into Travis' 'Top songs' section on iTunes!

Also, it's made it into the iTunes top Alternative songs chart at number 67! - LOOK! (That's even without a single release, btw!)

It makes sense to release the most popular songs, does it not?

By releasing Before You Were Young as a single, this would increase sales of Ode To J. Smith by a lot, I would estimate.

If Travis are ever going to get some kind of chart success back (even though they don't crave it anymore), then Before You Were Young may I suggest is the song to start it for them, after Song To Self has laid the foundations, got more people interested again and added a few more sales. It is their best chance. Maybe it will end up their Chasing Cars...

Am I right? If you agree, reply here!

I 100% agree with you. Before you were young has got something. Personally, it's my favorite track on the new album, and I can see many boardies here love this song as well. It's the most heartfelt song ever in a few years. Like you said, maybe it will end up like Chasing Cars, a sincere, innocent, and heartfelt song. :D
I'd like to see it become the next single!!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 3:37 PM Quote
Before hearing the album version I didn't think it was a single at all but you might be right. Interesting to see what they choose. Fran has said in the past only 2 singles before moving on to the next album though.

purplesky
purplesky Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 4:09 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Before hearing the album version I didn't think it was a single at all but you might be right. Interesting to see what they choose. Fran has said in the past only 2 singles before moving on to the next album though.

Yea. There are some songs that sound better on the album.
Then there's gonna be only one single after Something anything? Oh.. then it's gonna be so hard to choose. Song to self, Chinese Blues, Before you were young..

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 4:34 PM Quote
Its def there at the top of the list but singles are heard on radio and I think Quite Free and Friends are better radio material but I wouldn't discount it :)

mili
mili Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 5:25 PM Quote
I love the song and even my r'n'b orientated (fan of Rihanna et al) daughter said it was nice after first listen. I think it's worth considering, but maybe without the laughter for radioplay?

everyday_face
everyday_face Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 5:36 PM Quote
I'm glad someone suggested this 'cos I wanna go say the same!

Though I like it a lot, I'm not as big on Song to Self as some others on here, but I can totally see why it's been chosen as a single.

But if they want to get people back into the band, or even get new people altogehter, then I personally think BYWY is by far the best choice.

Last Words / Quite Free may me more radio friendly, and have that upbeat single quality to them (but I don't think either would change people's perception of Travis too much), but I think BYWY is a song that more than any other, will really make people sit up and take notice. Because it does stand out. It's different and it has a real special quality about it. It's not gonna make #1 and turn the band into the biggest in the UK but I think it would generate the most interest.

When you think that everyone on this board loves Travis and pretty much everything that they do, the fact that this song is standing out to US, and has the most buzz about it, then it really says something, and hopefully people are taking note!

:)

x

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 6:12 PM Quote
Unless everyone's downloading BYWY because they got their grubby hands on one of the leaked copies that didn't have it on. :P

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 6:32 PM Quote
I agree with this.

It's not an ideal single on paper. It's quite slow, quite delicate. Along the Slide Show lines of 'great song, but probably not suited'.

But it's just too damn good not to release, I think. Suspect Driftwood was the same all those years ago. Yes, it's not going to work on paper but it's a FANTASTIC song, the kind of song that I can see people singing on reality TV shows for years to come. Been a long time singe Travis had a song like that.

varz
varz Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 9:26 PM Quote
I love it, I got goosebumps when I heard it first the other day and I still love it. Its actually one of the most gorgeous Travis songs ever.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 9:50 PM Quote
I love it too! By far my FAVOURITE on the whole album! :0)

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 02 Oct, 2008 10:38 PM Quote
Travis are living examples that doing the expected thing with singles won't get you noticed. Maybe throwing in an unexpected one will get them some recognition. I like the idea!

healyramirez
healyramirez Posted Tue 21 Oct, 2008 11:09 PM Quote

yes, release as a single. Great tune. A great surprise for me.

jambut
jambut Posted Tue 21 Oct, 2008 11:32 PM Quote
i would say do S2S and Before you were young. The tracks flow lovely together on the album just release them as one song who cares lets just get a song out there to be listened to by your radio 1 audience.

Pages [1] 2 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:11 AM