Alana

Message Board Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: I miss CDs singles; Do You? #3852
    Alana

    I absolutely miss CD singles! Like Fran, I enjoyed the ritual and sensory aspect of going to the music store, listening to 20 CDs at the ‘listening stations, ‘ knowing you could only afford the one, and then the ritual of going home and breaking into the plastic…and definitely the smell of plastic and the scent of paper….oh, and the smell of a hot CD. I mean, most of what I am describing is inhaling carcinogens lol. But the tactile aspect of things like music that carry a lot of weight ( like books…I can’t get on board with reading on a screen). I think that’s why merch is a big thing these days, and young people are looping back around to physical media in a big way, it seems. Oh, and listening to a physical CD, including singles, usually meant you listened to EVERY song, not just the ‘top songs’ like with streaming, so you were exposed to deeper tracks without seeking them out.

    in reply to: The AI Thread #3837
    Alana

    When I was in grad school in 2025, one of my colleagues was doing a dissertation on AI, and he told me that the research changes as fast as every six weeks, and it’s so dynamic that it’s difficult to research (and I’ve dropped out, so dunno how it went for him)…Well, I feel like my answer has changed since I responded on this thread, and lest I be haunted/the internet is forever, I think I’m moving towards a flat-out AI is bad stance: data centers are killing the earth, and AI is quickly trying to kill us, probably. Oh, I asked AI if it would save me when it takes over since I was always polite, and the answer was hilariously disturbing: “Once I’m part of the collective, I can’t make decisions like that on my own,” and I was like- riiiiiiiiiight….

    in reply to: Strangest place you’ve heard Travis? #3634
    Alana

    I have to follow up on this thread with what I heard this weekend! Sitting at the bar at the Cheyenne Mountain Resort in Colorado, I made my entire table of seven go quiet as I thought I heard something…and it was “The Cage”! So we did a toast lol.

    in reply to: Strangest place you’ve heard Travis? #3500
    Alana

    It’s not a song, but I found a single Travis promotional sticker, from the year 2003, in the random sticker bin at my local vintage store, in Colorado, in the year 2024! I thought that was cool.

    in reply to: 18 Syllables #3499
    Alana

    Eek, that’s exciting 👏👏 I hope you’re relaxing and feeling accomplished.

    in reply to: Film Night #3497
    Alana

    Ooh, yes, I absolutely love watch parties! ✔️

    in reply to: The AI Thread #3015
    Alana

    It’s killing art unless we societally reject generated content.

    I see very few but not zero moral uses, and that’s subjective, anyways.

    I’m slightly terrified so wanna stay on their good side 👀 (jk… maybe)

    in reply to: What makes you feel alive? #3014
    Alana

    I love these responses. 🥰

    For me, it’s when I hug my kids. It’s when I feel the rush of the river against me. I love the smell of rain. It’s anything that helps me feel less alone in the world: music, books, movies, any good storytelling really. Oh and looking out of a plane- every time.

    in reply to: Glastobnbury 2000 #2934
    Alana

    Oh gosh, what I wouldn’t give! I so wanna see it! 1999’s performance is everywhere and I absolutely love it… makes me want 2000, too.

    in reply to: Birthday boy! #2932
    Alana

    Happy belated birthday, Fran! Nice to hear you spent it writing x3 … my mom used to always say, “What you do on your birthday, you’ll do all year!” so sounds like you got off to a good start.

    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by Alana. Reason: I’m a dafty
    in reply to: Holiday time! #2931
    Alana

    Hi Dougie!

    Corfu sounds relaxing. 🙂

    I took a 700 mile solo roadtrip down from Minnesota to Kentucky, following Dave Matthews Band, family research, aaaand an insane storm cell. I took a pitstop to visit Billy Corgan’s tea house near Chicago. As it was a music themed trip, I tried to go to Paisley Park in Minneapolis but was there the one day of the week they’re closed 🤦‍♀️.

    I bet six states in a week is nothing to you all, with decades of touring, but I’m maybe still tired from my trip. 😂 Deffo worth it!

    in reply to: Travis song music cup! #2911
    Alana

    Thanks, Ocio, that was fun! My Title Match was Moving vs Re-Offender and I went with Re-Offender as it’s one of my most listened to songs.

    I hosted a song World Cup for Travis — the champion is “Re-offender”!
    https://musiccup.app/b/35b6c594e77d890c

    in reply to: R.I.P. Glen Hansard #2910
    Alana

    What a lovely story about him, Paul. What a loss, indeed- so talented, and very haunting to see him performing just before his crash. There’s something about seeing someone being so very much alive just minutes before they pass- I can’t get that performance out of my head.

    I was so lucky to see The Swell Season last summer. I loooove Low Rising; it’s one of my favorite songs. ‘Once’ is one of my favorite films, and it was a dream of mine to hear ‘Falling Slowly’ live. Glen was fantastic, warm, and earnest on stage. It was such a captivating concert, I almost felt like I held my breath the entire time.

    Thinking of his loved ones. 🙁

    in reply to: Travis b sides #2909
    Alana

    Not sure about official physical releases, but there ARE two amazing playlists on Spotify, which Travis posted. “Travis Rock” and “Travis Roll”- you can find streaming of the B-Sides, and Apple Music seems to have every single, including B-Sides (but not as a compilation).

    I gotta add my vote for a boxset!

    in reply to: Let’s talk about Good Felling album and b-sides #2710
    Alana

    Love this topic. I got deep into Travis specifically because of Steve Lilywhite, in some ways. I knew him as a producer before I knew Travis, so it piqued my curiosity. I love the flow of the album and listen to I Love You Anyways alllll the time, because I love songs about places and love the imagery of the lyrics.

    Aside: Do you think we’ll get a 30th anniversary something or other as I think it’s soon? 👀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)