Travis

Re: The first listen thread
travisturkey
travisturkey Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 3:22 PM Quote
I've had my first listen and here's my humble opinion about it:

This is the most plain and rounded album of Travis i think. I just can't count down 2 or 3 outstanding songs out of 11 but I love all of them,they are strangely catchy at the first listen. This is the first Travis album in which there are no songs I forced myself to listen to and like it.Although calling it a "classic" would be an exaggerating thing,I think this is the bravest thing Travis has ever made and far better than their last record,TBWNN.At first listen,I can predict that it'll be there along with 12 Memories and TMW at the top of my favorite list.
Quite Free,Broken Mirror(surprising,eh?) and Last Words appear to be my favorite songs at first listen,with the latest being the best song Travis has made in a while.

P.S: What's everyone's problem with "Get Up". I love it!

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 3:48 PM Quote
I'm starting to struggle with this album. There are some great songs on here, particularly Chinese Blues, and however similar BYWY is to that Polish song I still think it's fantastic - but....I dunno. Quite Free is really, really catchy but I noticed the other day how much it sounds like This Love, and I can't get over that whenever I hear it at the moment. Last Words is equally catchy and has a great chorus, Song To Self is a really, really strong potential single.

But there are far too many songs on here that I either just don't like - Get Up, Broken Mirror - or I just find really bland. J.Smith is a case in point. There's just nothing to it. Verse, big choir, ooohhhaaahhhaaahhooohhhhaaahhhhoooohhh bit, end. Stuff like Long Way Down and Something Anthing - loud, in yer face rockers yes, same band that I fell in love with not remotely.

It's probably the first Travis album ever where I can see myself deleting some tracks from my mp3 player quite fast. I really, really hope that changes.

There are a few very good songs on it, and a few that just don't do anything for me at all. At the moment it's a 3/5 for me and I'm starting to appreciate what a good record TBWNN was a bit more.

rebekah
rebekah Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 4:46 PM Quote
well i don't know what listen i'm on but Long Way Down is probably my fave (: but they are alll so good!! :D

p.s awesome review (:

silvella
silvella Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 9:50 PM Quote
Oh James, that's so wonderful what you write! I felt exactly the same! What happened? These last two words caused me goosebumps and, yes, a few tears. And I've asked myself as well: What happened? Did I listen to one of the best albums in the world in the last minutes? Yes, I did!!! Now I try to tell my first impressions and I hope I will find the english words for that... (I give german school grades, 1 is best, 6 is worst)

Chinese Blues.
Is it a worse recording? Sounds a bit dull and low... The keyboards are awesome. Great song! 1-

J. Smith.
First class Rock Opera! Clear 1

Something Anything.
Wicked rhythm and guitar solo! A very nice piece of work. 1

Long Way Down.
Good words. 2-3

Broken Mirror.
Could be made by The Doors!!! (Right before I heard the CD the first time, I've watched the Doors movie on telly!) Extraordinary. 1-2

Last Words.
The song I had in my ears the whole day long. Banjoooo!!! Sometimes it seems as if Neil would like to play the drums faster, but he doesn't for sure! The drumsticks sound like tap dancing, funny! Also great guitar, Andy. 1-2

Quite Free.
Fair average (sorry). I don't like Frans high-pitched singing. 2-3

Get Up.
Familiar friend part one. Yesss, Dougie sings in the refrain! Rhythm is great, like Eyes Wide Open which is one of my favourite Travis songs. Clear 1

Friends.
Sounds odd in the album version, especially this one tone before the refrain. Where is Clay??? It's a being-well-song, but I miss a little "Schmackes"... no english word... a little more rock 'n' roll? Energy? Okay, a 2+

Song To Self.
Familiar friend part two. In one word: PERFECT!!! 1+

Before You Were Young.
So beautiful that it hurts! You can hear this song only with tears in your eyes. Finally a "I love you"! *my heart is melting...* The gong gives dramatic art. I think this song could be a good film score. I lost my heart to Before You Were Young, that's why there's no mark but a http://www.GratisSmilies.de/gifs/herz/a_herz04.gif

Hodgy
Hodgy Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:40 PM Quote
Anyone think that Quite Free sounds quite like Chris Rea?!!!
On my second listen - think its top so far, really cohesive album

Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 9:22 AM Quote
I'm just happy that I managed to buy a copy this morning, as this is a crazy week, and I didn't think I'd have the time. So far I've heard Chinese Blues only - I played it in the car home from the shop! First play sounds fine, and I'm really looking forward to the rest. I already have the J Smith ep so I'm familiar with that one.

Summing up: happy and excited! :)

purplesky
purplesky Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 10:11 AM Quote
What a nice review. :) I totally agree!
My heart almost stopped at the intro of Chinese Blues.
I've listened the whole album like 10 times so far, and I love Chinese blues, Song to self, Long way down, Friends, Before you were young the most.

Before you were young is really mind-blowing. I first heard this song at a basement of some building where there was no noise around me. It made my heart cry and ache a little.. I instantly fell in love with the song. I love you, love you, love you....

thehitcher
thehitcher Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 12:23 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Quite Free definitely the best song. No doubt about it for me.

Hey Ben, 'Quite Free' is my favourite on the new album aswell. I've had it on repeat since I got the album haha it's really addictive!

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 12:27 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
I'm just happy that I managed to buy a copy this morning, as this is a crazy week, and I didn't think I'd have the time. So far I've heard Chinese Blues only - I played it in the car home from the shop! First play sounds fine, and I'm really looking forward to the rest. I already have the J Smith ep so I'm familiar with that one.

Summing up: happy and excited! :)

Ahh you beat me on that! Just ignore what I told you on the email I sent you yesterday. I feel embarrassed. Slightly. tee hee

Tonie
Tonie Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 12:47 PM Quote
CSN, ^^^^^Nothing to be embarrassed about :)

Was going to reply to your email. I promise. But as mentioned, have been mad busy. Hope you liked "the Ford" ;). And thanks v much for the offer, but as you can see, am sorted. Just need to find time to listen now....problems problems!!!

ps. Glad you had a great time with the Wos's!

thehitcher
thehitcher Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 12:55 PM Quote
silvella wrote:
Quite Free.
Fair average (sorry). I don't like Frans high-pitched singing. 2-3

awww I love 'Quite Free'. I think the high bits when Fran sings the "i like you" bit is the best bit haha each to their own i guess tho. Glad you like the album, it's great :-D

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 1:35 PM Quote
thehitcher wrote:
BenFilbert wrote:
Quite Free definitely the best song. No doubt about it for me.

Hey Ben, 'Quite Free' is my favourite on the new album aswell. I've had it on repeat since I got the album haha it's really addictive!

I've only heard it twice. Not had much time to listen to it and I like my first few listens to be special and not on the bus or something. Not that there's anything wrong in that, I'm just sad. lol But yes, it is amazing. I love Fran's voice on it. The music and everything. More songs like Quite Free please boys. :) Hehe.

paulo
paulo Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 1:36 PM Quote
This really is a first class album.I'm loving friends it's got a great 60's vibe to it.I think the lads deliberately tried to get a sound like the doors on the guitars and drums.Long way down is just excellent as is song to self.I really don't think there is one "filler" track on this album.It must be the shortest travis album at just over 35 mins?Just a bit longer than revolver.I love it.Well done lads.

deebee
deebee Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 4:38 PM Quote
Blimey, this is sooo frustrating!! I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive (along with my tickets for the Astoria) I seem to be spending most of my time peering into the letterbox! Come on Postie, bring me my stuff, pleeeeease!

Darran
Darran Posted Mon 29 Sep, 2008 6:23 PM Quote
Wow, this album has some balls.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:07 AM