Travis

The first listen thread
the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 27 Sep, 2008 10:08 PM Quote
Where you just splurge all your thoughts onto a page quickly when you first hear Ode. I'll start.

I'm actually shaking slightly. Before You Were Young starts in effect at the end of Friends when the atmosphere shifts from brilliant songs to all-out epic ending. Song To Self is an absolute classic and on the album it sounds even stronger than it did alone, and then Before You Were Young... epic, mental, loud, huge, intimate and achingly beautiful. When you first listen, turn off the lights and feel your eyes well up.

Back at the beginning, I settle down on my bed with a hot chocolate and prepare to be amazed. Chinese Blues kick-starts the album in a way not seen since WTRY - the first chords punch their way out of the CD player. J. Smith sounds at home in context with the others and as the last chord fades, Something Anything smacks you in the ears immediately. Long Way Down seems unspectacular to me now, but Broken Mirror is sure to grow. The tracks fly past faster than my brain can rate them - Last Words is a nice simple pop song *whoosh* Quite Free has such a sweet chorus (it DOES sound like This Love!) *whoosh* Get Up - I know this one! Singalong and the groove sounds amazing. *whoosh* Friends is damn sexy despite it's lyrics and it's grown into an album track from it's acoustic-video-on-youtube beginnings. Then the Shift and the album equals or exceeds The Man Who's atmosphere; if it weren't for Chinese Blues and J. Smith, I would say that Song To Self and Before You Were Young were the best two consecutive tracks I've ever heard - I can't decide though. As I empty my hot chocolate mug (the Ahhhh Selfish Jean one of course!), Before You Were Young unfurls and screams into the chorus before slowly returning to its beautiful beginning.

What happened?
Travis, I love you.

Re: The first listen thread
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 27 Sep, 2008 10:12 PM Quote
Aww! I love your review James!
Thanks for sharing!

Steph
Steph Posted Sat 27 Sep, 2008 10:23 PM Quote
Great review. I havent heard the album yet so am preparing myself to hear a masterpiece :)

Elein
Elein Posted Sat 27 Sep, 2008 11:00 PM Quote
Good one, James:)Can`t get over this album either. Before you were young just made me stop in the middle of the livingroom, gasping, sweathing and shaking, and I stood there the whole song. It felt so familiar, like an old memory or feeling. From lightyears away. Had the exact same experience when I heard Used to belong. Very strange and very emotional. Never thought any song could top As you are, but these two songs might. Amazing.

Elein
Elein Posted Sat 27 Sep, 2008 11:00 PM Quote
Bloody computer!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 4:17 AM Quote
Just had my first listen. :)

Won't say too much. Anyone who cares what I think will probably know over the coming weeks and months. I always say you can never truly judge an album until at least 6 months after it's release. Anyway, first opinion is that it's very good. Not a 'masterpiece' as a masterpiece wouldn't include Get Up or Broken Mirror. Not too keen on either of them but songs like Quite Free, Song To Self, Last Words, Chinese Blues are brilliant. If I was totally honest, on first listen I'd give 4 stars. :) Friends is much better than I expected, Long Way Down is indeed raw and I can clearly hear they used the original mix of the song. Where as Friends is better than expected, Long Way Down is much, much, much better live.

Hope I'm not being too negative. I do think it's really good. lol :) Quite Free definitely the best song. No doubt about it for me.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 4:38 AM Quote
Hey James , I like your review. I have different 'top' favourites :) but overall I think your experience was similar to mine.

Ben , I am looking forward to your 'matured' review :) I think your first listen was probably right, especially - 'Long way Down' (one of my favs) sounding tons better live ( strange that ).I like hearing Get up better live too , it was really rocking people at the gig but doesn't shine out so much as the other tracks to me for intense track listening but as James said the groove is in this one , like no other - wonder what you will emerge with as a favourite? :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 5:09 AM Quote
Thanks for sharing James. :) I can't wait!!!!!

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 5:43 AM Quote
Thanks for sharing your great review James! :o) I fell in love with the album just by reading it ;o).
Can't wait anymore either!!! :oS

Travisdk
Travisdk Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:57 AM Quote
Hi everyone,

I would like to post a review as well.

I think the album is okay but I think Travis can do better. They really tried some new moves on this album with different success. Songs like Broken Mirrors, J. Smith, Long Way Down and Get Up are not good enough for a Travis album if you ask me.

Last day I was listening to The Invisible Band and The Man Who for the first time in a long time. The reason for that was Last Words, Quite Free and Friends which in my opinion reminds one of the "old Travis". Hmm I think this is what they do the best - and they are the best in the whole world to do this. Simple popsongs with a twist. There is nothing wrong with going new ways 'cus Song To Self came out just fine. But their focus should be on what they do the best... I don't hope I sound too negative. ***

Best regards,
Kasper

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 11:14 AM Quote
Yesterday morning I was up at 6.30am and loading the album onto my ipod so I could do my first listen while I was leaving house to go to work. The morning was lovely and sunny for a change and as I listened I was pretty blown away. Now I have to admit that in the past (especially with the last album) I had to let the songs grow on me. But with this album so many tunes just jumped out at me. I love the loudness of it. the guitars are amazing. I know there are a few songs on there that will be growers and I will have to listen to it alot more (Broken Mirror, Last Words, Quite Free, Get Up). But my instant favs would have to be Chinese Blues, Something Anything, Song To Self and the amazingly beautiful (near had me in tears)Before You Were Young! With the album finishing on that song I felt like others, pretty shook up. I was overwhelmed and I think I fell in Love with Travis all over again :)

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 11:43 AM Quote
With the sun streaming through the windows, this morning is perfect for a second listen. Travis are no longer that band I saw in a dark church last February, they are a band who make some of the best summery tunes in the world. Last Words and Quite Free actually sparkle ;) I bet the Song Showdown has a new winner next time it whirrs into action.

singme0430
singme0430 Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 12:57 PM Quote
Thanks for your great reviews! Ah, can't wait for the album. :)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 1:21 PM Quote
Quite Free sounds amazing. I've been saying that for months that musically it is the best song and it's turned out easily that way in my opinion. While I was listening I was like 'oh my god, this is my favourite Travis song.' Mmm, not quite but it is brilliant. As is Song To Self.

Anyway, still only heard it once. I'll have a second listen later on. Hoping Long Way Down improves (I think they should have mixed that in New York along with others because for me, it sounds too rough.)

champagnesupernova
champagnesupernova Posted Sun 28 Sep, 2008 1:26 PM Quote
Just having my first listen. Before I get kinda sophisticated and write pages of review here is my firs impression: YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:-D

Pages [1] 2 3 4 Next All Times BST Current Time 12:20 AM