Travis

Re: Something Anything UK Chart Position
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 21 Sep, 2008 5:37 PM Quote
Well, they were definitely on those particular programmes but i don't know about the music channels. That's probably more out of their control. They then did GMTV and Parkinson for Selfish Jean. Just GMTV for My Eyes. And... nothing for Something Anything. Simple! The less promotion they do, the lower the song charts.

Haha! I don't post on any messageboards really. A couple from time to time. :)

Peewee
Peewee Posted Sun 21 Sep, 2008 5:47 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Ben Stiller is great. That probably helped BUT Closer had MUCH more promotion. More radio appearances. Plus Pop World, GMTV, Top Gear Of The Pops and Jools Holland.

It's simple! Not rocket science. Promotion = success. Travis are quality. They make great songs and release great singles but if nobody hears it, nobody will buy it.

Ok Ben we can agree to differ that Ben Stiller is great, lol He bugs the heck outta me.

That's also what I was getting at regarding all the promotion. That's why it got so high in the charts. So that what these new songs need....lots of promotion.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sun 21 Sep, 2008 5:59 PM Quote
I think people do tend to underestimate Closer - it had a lot of promotion, as Ben points out, and was actually played on the radio quite a lot. I even heard it being played in a cafe in Cyprus which was a nice surprise, and the people I've mentioned it to at uni really like it. It's probably the most popular tune since the TMW/TIB singles wouldn't you say? I'd place it a tad above Re(peat)-Offender. :P

Something Anything hasn't been played much, if at all, on the 'main' radio stations. People aren't gonna go out and download/buy something they don't even know exists...

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 21 Sep, 2008 6:11 PM Quote
I agree with both of you (apart from the Ben Stiller thing. lol)

Luke, i heard Closer in New York last week. :) I would definitely say it is more popular than Selfish Jean, My Eyes and The Beautiful Occupation. I would put it above Re-Offender too but what about Love Will Come Through? I heard Fran say that they get more money from that song, than any other. But Closer is certainly one of the more popular Travis songs, certainly of recent times.

Push Song To Self hard and it could be the most popular since The Invisible Band days, no doubt about that. :)

mili
mili Posted Sun 21 Sep, 2008 6:16 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
I agree with both of you (apart from the Ben Stiller thing. lol)

Luke, i heard Closer in New York last week. :) I would definitely say it is more popular than Selfish Jean, My Eyes and The Beautiful Occupation. I would put it above Re-Offender too but what about Love Will Come Through? I heard Fran say that they get more money from that song, than any other. But Closer is certainly one of the more popular Travis songs, certainly of recent times.

Push Song To Self hard and it could be the most popular since The Invisible Band days, no doubt about that. :)

Love Will Come Through gets most of its the money from Gray's Anatomy ;^)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 21 Sep, 2008 6:21 PM Quote
mili wrote:
Love Will Come Through gets most of its the money from Gray's Anatomy ;^)

Haha! Yes, i've heard its been on that a few times. :)

oflo84
oflo84 Posted Sun 21 Sep, 2008 8:08 PM Quote
Ok, official, the song didn't chart Top101...

Mikko85
Mikko85 Posted Sun 21 Sep, 2008 8:40 PM Quote
shit, it didn't chart at all?

grimly inevitable, I WISH I was surprised. No airplay at all, no promotion, nobody buys it. Common sense.

Am still in the 'wrong single choice' camp too, sorry. But to be honest, with such an absolute lack of promotion/advertising, they could have released the greatest song of all time and it wouldn't have charted.

We can be all positive about Song to Self because it's a great song, but with this level of promotion, it aint gonna chart either. Aside from giving the fans a couple of excellent b-sides, what's actually the point of releasing singles any more? I'm getting a sense of just going through the motions here. If nobody knows about it, nobody buys it. Disappointed.

oflo84
oflo84 Posted Sun 21 Sep, 2008 8:48 PM Quote
After hearing the previews of the album... i don't think there is a really "friedly airplay" song, except Song To Self or Get Up.

It may debuts when the album is released.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 21 Sep, 2008 9:15 PM Quote
Totally agree. I said the same when we were discussing a possible 4th single from The Boy just under a year ago. I said it didn't matter what it was because it wouldn't chart. The only thing was the b sides. And it doesn't matter what they release for that.

Actually, without wanting to complain, that's a question I could ask the band, why do you release singles? What's the point?

Last Words would be great to hear on the radio, as would Song To Self and Long Way Down. They all, along with Something Anything, have the potential to be successful singles.

I'm not disappointed by it's chart position but the promotion behind it.

Craigyboy
Craigyboy Posted Sun 21 Sep, 2008 9:24 PM Quote
incidently the top 100 aint been updated yet as you can see its week ending 20/09/2008 which was yesterday (TOP 100 SINGLES CHART :: CHART WEEK ENDING DATE 20/09/08)

Re: Nowhere Anywhere not in UK Chart
gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Sun 21 Sep, 2008 9:28 PM Quote
What about the Indie Chart?

If they can get to number 1 with J. Smith being only a limited edition vinyl release, then surely Something Anything sold just as well, if not better, with it being released physically?

Has there been a problem with sales of bundles only counting as 1 sale instead of 3? Surely it would have figured somewhere, anywhere in the top 100.

Re: Nowhere Anywhere not in UK Chart
the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sun 21 Sep, 2008 9:40 PM Quote
gladsadmad wrote:
What about the Indie Chart?

If they can get to number 1 with J. Smith being only a limited edition vinyl release, then surely Something Anything sold just as well, if not better, with it being released physically?

Has there been a problem with sales of bundles only counting as 1 sale instead of 3? Surely it would have figured somewhere, anywhere in the top 100.

J Smith was available for download and I think a lot of people got it that way. It;s possible that the bundles have been banned from charting by promoting multiple sales, but I doubt it, I think it's more likely that not many people have bought it :( It's still weird it's not in the top 100 though, you don't have to sell many down that end :S

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sun 21 Sep, 2008 9:46 PM Quote
I thought, with the sales of singles so low, that members of this board alone would have pushed it close to the top 100. If it is the case that it didn't reach the top 100, then Something Anything has done about as well as David Brent's single.

Release Song To Self. Promote it. Promote it. Promote it. After Sing, Why Does It Always Rain On Me, Side, Coming Around... it's sad to see a Travis single do this. It's a great song.

GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Sun 21 Sep, 2008 10:30 PM Quote
Interesting this...
I just think that the majority of Travis fans now (in the uk) , are in a certain age bracket.
The sort of age where you will listen to a single on the myspace site, but no longer buy singles, but will buy the albums.
Its just a theory that i admit could also be a load of crap!
For the record i did buy the single.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:37 AM