Travis

Ode To J. Smith - STOLEN!!! (turns out it's actually Bought)
paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 7:01 PM Quote
From children's author Roald Dahl!

http://www.antiquariaatvictory.nl/publicatie/36568.jpg

Re: Ode To J. Smith - STOLEN!!!
bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 7:10 PM Quote
:oO! :oO! Naah, but that's a mouth not an eye! tee hee :oP.

MoreThanMe
MoreThanMe Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 7:12 PM Quote
OOOhhhh, i thought nickin the chords off Noel for writing to reach you was cheeky, this is plain stealing!

Normally the band would admit this before hand, so it will be interesting to see if Fran admits this blatant copy, or if they even are aware of the books existence.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 7:24 PM Quote
bogusblue wrote:
:oO! :oO! Naah, but that a mouth not an eye! tee hee :oP.

I know, but the point is it's the exact same style, colour and background as the eye. It's hard not to see how they didn't copy it!

Then again, maybe it wasn't the band but a design company. Who knows!

damon
damon Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 7:28 PM Quote
i'm afraid it's the same,,, what a shame, i didn't enjoy a lot the artwork... now less....

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 7:29 PM Quote
Oh, wow! Good find, Paul. He wrote some of my favorite childhood stories! Check it out...

From Wiki:

Roald Dahl (13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990) was a British novelist, short story writer and screenwriter, born in Wales of Norwegian parents, who rose to prominence in the 1940s with works for both children and adults, and became one of the world's bestselling authors.

His first children's book was The Gremlins, about mischievous little creatures that were part of RAF folklore. The book was commissioned by Walt Disney for a film that was never made, and published in 1943. Dahl went on to create some of the best-loved children's stories of the 20th century, such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda and James and the Giant Peach.

Dahl's children's works are usually told from the point of view of a child. They typically involve adult villainesses who hate and mistreat children, and feature at least one "good" adult to counteract the villain(s). These stock characters are possibly a reference to the abuse that Dahl stated that he experienced in the boarding schools he attended. They usually contain a lot of black humour and grotesque scenarios, including gruesome violence. The Witches, George's Marvelous Medicine and Matilda are examples of this formula. The BFG follows it in a more analogous way with the good giant (the BFG or "Big Friendly Giant") representing the "good adult" archetype and the other giants being the "bad adults". This formula is also somewhat evident in Dahl's film script for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Class-conscious themes – ranging from the thinly veiled to the blatant – also surface in works such as Fantastic Mr. Fox and Danny, the Champion of the World.

The Witches was one of my favorite movies as a kid!!!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 7:35 PM Quote
damon wrote:
i'm afraid it's the same,,, what a shame, i didn't enjoy a lot the artwork... now less....

Why is it a shame? Maybe the band are paying tribute to the author by making the eye in the same style as the lips from the book "Kiss Kiss". I don't know this for sure, but why jump to conclusions and assume it's automatically a bad thing?

The artwork is a 1960s-style drawing. Maybe they chose it because of the way the record was done on old school equipment.

After all, they did get the title of The Man Who from a book. It's not a crime.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 7:36 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Oh, wow! Good find, Paul. He wrote some of my favorite childhood stories! Check it out...

The Witches was one of my favorite movies as a kid!!!

The Witches was a brilliant film

paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 7:38 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
damon wrote:

Why is it a shame? Maybe the band are paying tribute to the author by making the eye in the same style as the lips from the book "Kiss Kiss". I don't know this for sure, but why jump to conclusions and assume it's automatically a bad thing?

The artwork is a 1960s-style drawing. Maybe they chose it because of the way the record was done on old school equipment.

Agreed. I just can't believe it's so similar! Whoever made the artwork has quite clearly seen that and gone 'Yoink!'

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 7:46 PM Quote
Yes. It is obvious by the shapes and colors that whoever created the artwork copied the style. But like I said, there is not really anything wrong with that. Unless someone other than the band drew this and didn't tell them where they got it from and said it was original. How did you stumble upon this, Paul? See it at the library?

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 7:50 PM Quote
By the way...Travis only copied the style. Some bands *cough* Coldplay-Viva La Vida *cough* and many, many others throughout history have used famous paintings as album covers.

brenrogers
brenrogers Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 7:52 PM Quote
I love the new artwork, makes a welcome change to the old album covers which, lets face it, looked pretty much the same.

And could it not just be the same artist that created both covers, like tribute or something.

damon
damon Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 7:58 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
damon wrote:

maybe not a shame, perhaps it's a little overreacted,,,
altough i found it boring.... but anyway the big deal for me is the music...

gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 8:01 PM Quote
Comparison:-
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7a/Travisodetojsmith.jpg/200px-Travisodetojsmith.jpghttp://www.antiquariaatvictory.nl/publicatie/36568.jpg
Yep, definitely used the same style.
Even the same colours! What would the nose look like?

brenrogers
brenrogers Posted Mon 01 Sep, 2008 8:11 PM Quote

[/quote]

maybe not a shame, perhaps it's a little overreacted,,,
altough i found it boring.... but anyway the big deal for me is the music... [/quote]

good point.

Pages [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 6:05 AM