Travis

What on earth is wrong with people?
sanchez_1960
sanchez_1960 Posted Thu 21 Aug, 2008 8:12 AM Quote
I've like Travis alot since 2001 when I first got into their stuff. 2002/03 had a slightly poor album release but I thought The Boy with No Name was excellent and their 2008 album looks to be even better (with a change in direction).

I was shocked at the V festival to find Travis in the tent. I was like WTF! My friends who do like Travis but are not massive fans were only midly keen to see them. For me they were the best band I saw at the V and my friends agreed completely!

I've just heard the new single and it is fantastic, far better than that Coldplay crap people love so much!

So my rant is, why were they in the tent at V and why aren't they as popular despite producing brilliant music.

Re: What on earth is wrong with people?
the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 21 Aug, 2008 8:24 AM Quote
Neither 12 Memories or TBWNN are very commercial and they're quite niche albums that only appeal to a certain number of people, whereas TMW appeals to loads of unlikely people! I think Ode should do the same :D

Welcome to the board btw, I hope you can stay around for a bit and see how Ode does.

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Thu 21 Aug, 2008 8:28 AM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Neither 12 Memories or TBWNN are very commercial and they're quite niche albums that only appeal to a certain number of people, whereas TMW appeals to loads of unlikely people! I think Ode should do the same :D

Welcome to the board btw, I hope you can stay around for a bit and see how Ode does.

I want that Travis dont turns into a commecial band, it´s much better like you said.
That´s the key of travis.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 21 Aug, 2008 3:11 PM Quote
A puzzle that puzzles so much its like we need Einstein to work it out

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/Conckers/Albert.jpg

V Fest was a complete mystery in choice for the A list- thats why I give up sometimes!

choke the chicken
choke the chicken Posted Thu 21 Aug, 2008 5:51 PM Quote
Bands are much better in tents though

I've seen little man tate and maximo park both at Leeds Festival '06 and '07. In 06 both played in a tent, and in 07 both played on the main stage.

A tent captivates the atmosphere so much better. I think the people who went to go see them in the tent were more likely to be genuine fans rather than the people who spend all day watching the main stage because a band is famous, demand the pub jukebox songs and throw bottles of pee at the band

Esteban
Esteban Posted Thu 21 Aug, 2008 8:31 PM Quote
RaZzZ wrote:

I want that Travis dont turns into a commecial band, it´s much better like you said.

Are you taking the piss?

purplesky
purplesky Posted Fri 22 Aug, 2008 1:51 AM Quote
sanchez_1960 wrote:
I've like Travis alot since 2001 when I first got into their stuff. 2002/03 had a slightly poor album release but I thought The Boy with No Name was excellent and their 2008 album looks to be even better (with a change in direction).

I was shocked at the V festival to find Travis in the tent. I was like WTF! My friends who do like Travis but are not massive fans were only midly keen to see them. For me they were the best band I saw at the V and my friends agreed completely!

I've just heard the new single and it is fantastic, far better than that Coldplay crap people love so much!

So my rant is, why were they in the tent at V and why aren't they as popular despite producing brilliant music.

I totally agree with you. I've loved Travis since 2003. Got to know them through TIB, and loved all of their albums. I thought 12 memories and TBWNN were soo brilliant like TMW & TIB.... :)

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Fri 22 Aug, 2008 1:59 AM Quote
RaZzZ wrote:
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:

Much better?! Commercial or not, they still make great music. Is this one of those things where the band is not as cool because they are more well known? Good music is good music no matter who all knows about the maker.

Calgary
Calgary Posted Fri 22 Aug, 2008 7:22 PM Quote
Why does everyone keep saying 12 memories is a poor album? I thought it was awesome, noone really seems to like mid life krysis either but i love that song! I thought the album fitted well into the time it was released too with all the crap going on in the world. Bands cant keep firing out the same thing, change is good! As to the tent thing i agree tents are usually better for atmosphere than the main stage, although one of my favourite gigs ever was Travis closing the main stage at T in the park in 2000!!!

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Fri 22 Aug, 2008 8:04 PM Quote
Calgary wrote:
Why does everyone keep saying 12 memories is a poor album? I thought it was awesome, noone really seems to like mid life krysis either but i love that song! I thought the album fitted well into the time it was released too with all the crap going on in the world. Bands cant keep firing out the same thing, change is good!

Agree, song by song I don't rate it very highly but as an album, I love it! I'm glad they made it because it's another side to their music.

martina
martina Posted Fri 22 Aug, 2008 8:40 PM Quote
Calgary wrote:
Why does everyone keep saying 12 memories is a poor album? I thought it was awesome, noone really seems to like mid life krysis either but i love that song! I thought the album fitted well into the time it was released too with all the crap going on in the world. Bands cant keep firing out the same thing, change is good! As to the tent thing i agree tents are usually better for atmosphere than the main stage, although one of my favourite gigs ever was Travis closing the main stage at T in the park in 2000!!!

12 Memories is my favourite album, and I love mid life krysis too!!!

thehitcher
thehitcher Posted Fri 22 Aug, 2008 8:54 PM Quote
Calgary wrote:

I love 12 Memories! It's a fantastic album! Happy To Hang Around is one of my favourite Travis songs!

leticia
leticia Posted Fri 22 Aug, 2008 10:25 PM Quote

Well, it seems that happens everywhere... Here in Argentina, Travis was the support band for The Killers... Oh dear!

L.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 23 Aug, 2008 7:48 AM Quote

12 Memories's been my favourite Travis album for over a year now. It's brilliant!

leticia wrote:

Well, it seems that happens everywhere... Here in Argentina, Travis was the support band for The Killers... Oh dear!

L.

But Travis kicked their asses! The Killers, who headlined the festival, played half an hour less than Travis and they had no carisma or connection with the audience. No matter the order, Travis was the strongest band in that festival (and most people and critics agreed on that).

purplesky
purplesky Posted Sat 23 Aug, 2008 5:23 PM Quote
leticia wrote:

L.

Hmmm In Korea, Travis headlined at the festival, played 22 songs. Most people at the festival were soo overwhelmed and critics agreed that Travis was the strongest of the festival. :) We miss Travis over here...

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 2:10 AM