Travis

Terrible accident in Madrid
Beetlebum82
Beetlebum82 Posted Wed 20 Aug, 2008 6:23 PM Quote
The last new is:

" 146 passengers are killed and 26 alive after a plane broke in half and burst into flames when it skidded off a runway during an emergency landing at Spain's busiest airport"

There is more information about it

www.spanair.com/web/en-gb/DSite/Last-official-notice/

Re: Terrible accident in Madrid
minnmess
minnmess Posted Wed 20 Aug, 2008 6:26 PM Quote
i just came to post about that!
Horrible

I hope no one on here is affected

Monica
Monica Posted Wed 20 Aug, 2008 6:28 PM Quote
Close to 150 people were feared killed today when a packed passenger jet caught fire and overshot the runway as it tried to take off from Madrid's main international airport. Many of the victims were thought to be German holidaymakers heading for the Canary Islands.

The Spanair plane crashed and broke apart after failing to lift off from runway No 6 at the Barajas airport at 2.23pm local time en route for Las Palmas airport on Gran Canaria.

Reuters news agency quoted sources in the emergency services who said that all but 25 of the 172 people aboard - 166 passengers and six crew - had been killed. That was far ahead of the official death toll of around 45.

An airport authority worker at the scene said: "The plane was all broken up, all full of bodies."

Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, the Prime Minister, broke off from his holidays and headed to the scene of Spain's worst aviation disaster for more than 20 years.

The airport was immediately closed as firefighters aboard 11 engines tried to tackle a blaze on the plane, a McDonnell Douglas MD-82. Forty-five ambulances were sent to the scene in what one rescue worker said was the city's biggest rescue effort since the al-Qaeda bombing of March 11, 2003.

Initial reports suggested that an engine on the left hand side of the aircraft caught fire as the plane headed down the runway, impeding its take-off and sending it careening off onto a grassy area near the terminal building. The smoke could be seen several kilometres away.

El Pais reported that the aircraft had already attempted one take-off but had had unspecified difficulties. Another newspaper, La Vanguardia, said that the pilot had been unable to lift the plane's nose. The plane had originally been due to take off at 1.05pm.

Flight JK 5022 was on a codeshare with Lufthansa, flight LH 2554, which prompted speculation that many of those aboard were Germans who had transferred on to the aircraft at Madrid after flying in this morning from Munich.

Relatives of those aboard the plane soon began arriving at the airport, where a spokesman said that a room had been set aside for them and pyschological counselling was on offer. A similar room was set up at the destination airport on Gran Canaria where anxious relatives complained that they were being kept in the dark.

Eight injured passengers were taken to the La Paz hospital and a further eight to the Ramon y Cajal. Other Madrid hospitals were told to free up facilities - although it was unclear whether they would be needed given the heavy death toll.

In the last ten years, 42 people have been killed in plane accidents in Spain. Today's crash might prove even more deadly than one in Bilbao in February 1985, in which 148 people were killed.

The worst plane crash in Spain's history was on March 27, 1977, when two planes collided at Los Rodeos airport in Tenerife, killing 585 people.

Spanair is a subsidiary of the Scandinavian airline SAS, which said in a statement: "Spanair is doing everything possible to assist the Spanish authorities at this difficult time. Spanair will provide further information as soon as it becomes available."

The crash came just hours after pilots at the airline threatened to strike over SAS's cost-cutting plans at the struggling Majorca-based airline, which has been making heavy losses.

timesonline.co.uk

I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Peewee
Peewee Posted Wed 20 Aug, 2008 6:28 PM Quote
:O

That's awful!!!!!

Peewee
Peewee Posted Wed 20 Aug, 2008 6:28 PM Quote
:O

That's awful!!!!!

aldanao
aldanao Posted Wed 20 Aug, 2008 6:41 PM Quote
Almost the exactly same thing happened in Buenos Aires a few years ago...
The plane broke the security wall, crossed a avenue, it swept away a few cars, and crashed very close to a gas station...
It was awful...A very sad thing...

Chiito-chan
Chiito-chan Posted Wed 20 Aug, 2008 7:29 PM Quote
That's horrible.

sara spain
sara spain Posted Wed 20 Aug, 2008 8:06 PM Quote
I can´t belive the news!!
That´s so horrible.

I´m so cared now, Have to fly to Bilbao in 2 days and I´m going to fly with the same company... OMG!!

I´m really scared!!!!

physke
physke Posted Wed 20 Aug, 2008 9:47 PM Quote
So sorry to hear that.
I hope everyone is fine here.

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:37 PM Quote
That's terrible. It reminded me to what happened here around ten years ago.

Karmen
Karmen Posted Wed 20 Aug, 2008 10:48 PM Quote
There is horrible, there are until now 152 people died and 19 survivants, most of them really bad injured.

It is supposed that most of the death people were spanish but German Goverment said it could be some german citizens in this flight.

irenesfor
irenesfor Posted Wed 20 Aug, 2008 11:38 PM Quote
It's terrible.

sonja
sonja Posted Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:31 AM Quote
:0((( terrible..

Esteban
Esteban Posted Thu 21 Aug, 2008 1:18 AM Quote
sara spain wrote:
I can´t belive the news!!
That´s so horrible.

I´m so cared now, Have to fly to Bilbao in 2 days and I´m going to fly with the same company... OMG!!

I´m really scared!!!!

Don't be afraid, statistically it's the safest way to travel, by a long way.

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Thu 21 Aug, 2008 3:52 AM Quote
Oh my, so sorry to hear about this. Terrible.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:25 PM