Travis

Something's change
biklu
biklu Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 10:46 AM Quote
so here is my story:
I've been a Travisaholic for something like 5 years and I had to things I had to do before agreeing to die :
- see a giraffe (but not in a zoo that's too easy!)
- see Travis in concert in the front row
(seek no connection between the two!)
So anyway I had the honour to live the latter last friday at a festival in Brittany so I think you all know/remember how it felt the first time right?
I gave litterally 200% of myself even though I had been up since 3 am and had been waiting under the rain for several hours. I had a dream like time the new material is awesome, I was totally into it and had fun with my neighbour whom i had just met and was making fun of me.
But the thing is I was a little disappointed in the guys' performance I mean they barely looked at us Fran didn't smile once it was like they were shhoting a videoclip or something and, having the live dvds, I know they can do much better than that. They just weren't able to set on fire the fuel tank that I was (how poetic!)
So here is my question : I lived in Australia for one year and when I left I thought Travis were this bunch of never-gonna-be-rockstars guys who lived in Glasgow (next to their mum's house or something you know!) and I come back and they are definitely worldwide rockstars with houses all over the world who don't see their fans as people anymore. I know I might be overreacting but I just don't recognise my old Travis in there. I liked the unperfect website the yearly announcement on it etc...
Fran wrote "I'm afraid we got a wrong turn somewhere" (when talking about driving through the french coutryside) but I'm afraid that is so.
Please tell me I'm making a HUGE deal out of nothing and being ferrari-quick to come to those conclusions!!!
But I still can't wait to see them in concert again cause I still LOOOOve the music and like every other addiction you don't get rid of them unless you want to!!
Have a nice day
Agathe

Re: Something's change
Sky-Blue Puppy
Sky-Blue Puppy Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 11:19 AM Quote
Dear Agathe,
While my very first Travis show will take place only next week, I do believe you're overreacting here. I mean come on, read any other review here on the board or in the Tour Archive and you'll see that they definitely haven't become arrogant 'worldwide rockstars' :)

It was probably just your extremely high expectations (which i understand perfectly!) that made you feel that way. And although it must be great to get a smile from Dougie, a wink from Andy and lots and lots of chatter from Fran, you must remember they're only human (it's hard to believe, i know ;) with their own moods - one day they feel like interacting with the crowd more, the next not so much. But you definitely can't expect or demand it from them. Which you probably understand too, right?

I'm glad you still enjoyed the show and their music. And i sure hope the next experience will be even better for you (maybe not at a festival but at their own show).

Oh, and welcome to the board! :)

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 11:53 AM Quote
I'm afraid you got it totally wrong friend!

I'm not sure of the setlist but if they played Ode to J Smith , they play without hardly any break , which is fantastic but not their usual style , granted.

They are more human than ever! They visit here regularly and share many of their experiences with us , which is certainly unique .

I dont think you could be further from the mark with your post but hope that you eventually stay tuned and look on this site and see how much they give to all of their Fans.

Aude
Aude Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 12:09 PM Quote
How is it possible?? I was ther, on the very front row, just in front of Fran and Doogie, how xome you can say they didn't smile, and had fun???? Read my post here and maybe you'll change your mind.
It was a good show and they didn't seemed to me arrogant at all! They thanked us for for listening to their new songs, I don't think it's a mark of arrogance.
Bye the way Fran and Dougie seemes to have a good french :)!
I'm sorry you didn't have as much fun as I did!
Bye

Isn't it a smile ? :)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 5:26 PM Quote
while i wasnt at that show, when i saw them last year, they were happy and talking throughout the whole show.
In fact, i dont think a smile ever left Dougie's face! It was one of the best shows i had been to both interms of the music and the performance/talking to the audiance/etc.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 6:22 PM Quote
You know what? Nobody here is wrong, and everybody is right, because, whatever the situation, we all arrive with different expectations, and leave with different impressions. If we all felt the same, the world be a boring place.

I think that the original poster was very courageous, painting a less than 100% perfect picture of the gig, leaving herself open to criticism of the board, just for saying what she felt. Well done for being honest.

I'm sorry that you had a disappointing gig. Personally, the last time I saw Travis was last June, and I felt that they were their modest and friendly selves, that I've encountered in the past. And they gave a superb show. But that's just me.....Better luck next time, and enjoy the new music!

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 6:29 PM Quote
minnmess wrote:
while i wasnt at that show, when i saw them last year, they were happy and talking throughout the whole show.
In fact, i dont think a smile ever left Dougie's face! It was one of the best shows i had been to both interms of the music and the performance/talking to the audiance/etc.

Same for me as well, Kristy! When I saw Travis last summer here in Detroit (well, Pontiac really) it was one of the most fun days I've ever had! The guys were so friendly and talkative with the audience and put so much energy into every song. It was like we were a part of the show. From entering the stage to the Rocky theme through the crowd and Fran's chatting to Andy's crowd surfing and Dougie's smiles and hip action, it was one amazing night! They are the best live band EVER! I wish that show would have never ended!!!

I can't wait until they come back.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 7:35 PM Quote
Yeah they're all turned into evil, power-hungry mega stars. Especially Claes. I mean he was really lapping up all the people chanting his name during Good Feeling. And with Fran's continual quest for world domination via house-buying, I'm expecting a Travis global dictatorship by 2020.

...Or maybe you were expecting too much. Either way, sorry to hear the gig wasn't quite as good as hoped. You enjoyed the music though, yeah?

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 7:59 PM Quote
Tonie wrote:
You know what? Nobody here is wrong, and everybody is right, because, whatever the situation, we all arrive with different expectations, and leave with different impressions. If we all felt the same, the world be a boring place.

I think that the original poster was very courageous, painting a less than 100% perfect picture of the gig, leaving herself open to criticism of the board, just for saying what she felt. Well done for being honest.

I'm sorry that you had a disappointing gig. Personally, the last time I saw Travis was last June, and I felt that they were their modest and friendly selves, that I've encountered in the past. And they gave a superb show. But that's just me.....Better luck next time, and enjoy the new music!

I agree. I too have had all wonderful experiences seeing Travis several times last year, and I'm sorry your experience wasn't as wonderful as you expected, but you're entitled to your own opinion, and you were honest about it.
Hopefully, you will have a better experience the next time around, and maybe you will get to enjoy them like most of us have!

deebee
deebee Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 8:07 PM Quote
Maybe because it was a festival rather than their own gig?????

minnmess
minnmess Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 8:11 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
Yeah they're all turned into evil, power-hungry mega stars. Especially Claes. I mean he was really lapping up all the people chanting his name during Good Feeling. And with Fran's continual quest for world domination via house-buying, I'm expecting a Travis global dictatorship by 2020.

Haha, that evil evil swedish man! He will soon be pelting people with ost and skinka sandwiches from the stage (that's ham and cheese. 2 of about the about 5 words i know in Swedish, so i had to use them)

This will be the best dictatoriship ever!

But i do agree with Tonie. Just bc we all enjoyed ourselves, doesnt mean that everyone will have the same interpretation of the show. But, i think they are good examples of Travis not becoming cocky big rockstars who dont care about their fans. Seriously, they heart us! ha ha.
They provide us with water, kick out stupid pushy fighting fans, encourage us to take pictures and videos and mock those who do not jump during WDIAROM. Mocking is the true sign of love.

GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 8:42 PM Quote
I would imagine a Travis festival experience is a little different from a Travis gig.
The limited time etc.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 9:07 PM Quote

...Or maybe you were expecting too much. Either way, sorry to hear the gig wasn't quite as good as hoped. You enjoyed the music though, yeah?

Teehee! I love your posts, Luke. :)

accousticbug
accousticbug Posted Tue 08 Jul, 2008 9:38 PM Quote
jeezo travis cant win. either there too nice or too mean

you cant expect them to perform the same way everytime.. that would be unnatural

sebnemy
sebnemy Posted Wed 09 Jul, 2008 8:09 AM Quote

Somebody should make a movie using this storyline! or maybe it is the main story, leading up to the year 2020, for an Ode to j. Smith dvd--"and he prays to his god that he reaps his reward for his new plan" Now we know what the plan is:)

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 3:00 PM