Travis

Fran's New Blog- Viva La France
minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 4:14 AM Quote
B sides recorded and mixed, we all met at the airport for a short flight to france. Meeting us at the gate was a photographer from New York who we asked to come and snap us. His name is Nicholas Lorden and he's rather good.
I have perfected the art of sleeping the entire plane journey and so felt like I awoke before we took off. Weird feeling.
We hired a car to scout for places to shoot. The crew left in a bus and we all jumped in an Opel people carrier/car. These are what Clay (our son) has taken to calling a van/car...he points at them when we're out and shout's van-car, VAN-CAAAR. It's very funny. In germany nobody notices but some heads turn in London when he spots one.
Anyways we all boarded our van-car and sped off into the french countryside. Having been photographed in nature before we asked Nick to scope out some more urban type backdrops or maybe situations that were vague. We'd be shooting the following day after sound check.
We all got acquainted with Nick over dinner at a place on the sea front and then all headed to bed but not before having a walk on the beach. It was still light at 11pm!
I overslept for the lobby rendezvous at 9am. We ended up leaving for soundcheck at 9.35 :) Me and Dougie drove with Nick. The van we were following sped off at one point and we were suddenly adrift in the backroads of rural France. We ended up on the motorway going the opposite direction. After some fevered phonecalls we turned it around and caught up with the others after 20 minutes of sweating.
Soundcheck was short. Then we all boarded the VAN-CAR and disappeared for the day with our man Nick.
It was a great day. We went all over ending up back at the hotel. We did a quick round of pics on the beach before heading off to the festival.
I think we took a wrong turn somewhere as we entered the festival area because we ended up driving down this road with thousands of really drunk french people. At one point a bunch of them locked arms and sat down in front of the car. It was a stand off. A security guard came in the end and told them he would take the black leather muzzle off his alsatian if they didn't move. They moved. Dougie calls those dogs big Al-get-ye's.
The show was great. J.Smith was a highlight. We hung out with The Subways later and then drove back to the hotel.
This morning was early rise at 7am to get a car to catch a train to connect to a plane. I am now at home in Berlin.

I love the titles on the pic on this blog. Especially "aeroplane.' And Clay sounds like an awesome kid.

Re: Fran's New Blog- Viva La France
SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 4:48 AM Quote
I cannot wait to see how those (other) photos turned out!

and yes, I agree, Clay does sound like an awesome kid!

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 5:12 AM Quote
Thanks Kristy! :o)

Nice to know about their journey in France. I love the VAN-CAAAR thing, Clay is an awesome boy indeed :o). Wanna see the photos too, I'm sure they turned out just great ;o).

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 5:29 AM Quote
LOL! I like the bit about the drunk French people locking arms and sitting down in the road in front of their van-car.
Can't wait to see the new pics either!

Thanks for the blog, Fran.

I just had a look at the tour archive. What's up French boardies? No reviews or pics? Ok, so its only been one day :P ..but really, how was the show?!?

TK23
TK23 Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 7:49 AM Quote
Haha, what an amusing blog- those French people sound like a hoot. : P

heich
heich Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 9:13 AM Quote
"urban type backdrops" make me think of the artwork from TBWNN singles or even the album itself, not exactly but kind of

elodie
elodie Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 9:57 AM Quote
I wasn't at the gig but according to some reviews I have read on the french newspaper, the show was totally awesome!

It's great that they have chosen to take some photos in France (maybe for the artwork!!!)

Lucile
Lucile Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 11:02 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I just had a look at the tour archive. What's up French boardies? No reviews or pics? Ok, so its only been one day :P ..but really, how was the show?!?

I wasn't at the gig either because I had to work that day and it would have taken me a whole day to get there by train. But, I'll be in Montreux next week and I'll make sure to take some pics there :)

minnmess
minnmess Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 2:16 PM Quote
TK23 wrote:
Haha, what an amusing blog- those French people sound like a hoot. : P

im always a fan of the use of "hoot." Owl or otherwise

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 3:23 PM Quote
Am I right in thinking Fran has a home in Berlin, London and New York? :P And of course his roots in Glasgow. He's probably gonna have a house in every country before long. Some kind of Fran World domination. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/24-happy2.gif

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 3:35 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:
Am I right in thinking Fran has a home in Berlin, London and New York? :P And of course his roots in Glasgow. He's probably gonna have a house in every country before long. Some kind of Fran World domination. http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x66/Jearoon2/Smilies/24-happy2.gif

Hehe. Sounds like it. Does Fran speak German? I'm sure he's learned some from Nora. But I wonder how well he can speak it.

irenesfor
irenesfor Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 9:30 PM Quote

Haha, Fran the Conqueror, it sounds well xD

I love the Clay's "VAN-CAAAR" :) Amusing blog.

Tonie
Tonie Posted Sun 06 Jul, 2008 9:56 PM Quote
Thanks for posting this.

The pity is that I'm going driving for a week around rural France in 3 weeks time. Crap timing by me! Rural France is a pretty humoungous area so the chances of being in the same place at the same time as anyone are pretty rare. But it's a nice fantasy!

Turtleneck
Turtleneck Posted Mon 07 Jul, 2008 1:59 AM Quote
Am I right in thinking Fran has a home in Berlin, London and New York? :P And of course his roots in Glasgow. He's probably gonna have a house in every country before long. Some kind of Fran World domination.

It must get terribly confusing knowing what is where. When my dad had a cottage up north, whatever he needed there was at home and whatever he needed at home was at the cottage. Can you imagine how bad it must be having 3 residences?

"Hon, where's my favorite blue towel?"
"The blue set is in London."
"What happened to that hat I wore last week?"
"That's in Berlin."
"We left Clay's blankie in New York, now what do we do???!"

I can't imagine.

minnmess
minnmess Posted Mon 07 Jul, 2008 2:58 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:

Hehe. Sounds like it. Does Fran speak German? I'm sure he's learned some from Nora. But I wonder how well he can speak it.

What a wonderful kind of domination!
Nikki, ive heard him speak some words of German, and some sentences, but i dont think he is completely fluent. I think what i saw/heard was atleast a few years old though. Hes probably pretty decent by now

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:26 AM