Travis

Re: Get Up
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 4:26 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Wow..."Sarah" is beautiful. The piano sounds like one of those music boxes you have when your're a little girl. I love how the lyrics clash with the sweetness of the piano and acoustic guitar...talking about this girl who is lost.

Isn't it crazy that this is a B-Side? God...they are so good.

When Fran replied to me here on the board he said Sarah (though he didn't name it at the time) would either be a b side or be on album 7. So he obviously thought it was a possible album track at the time. Like Get Up which really is on the b side to J Smith, I think it will be an album track. Surely!!! Fran, we all love Sarah. You've got 1 song for album 7 at least! ;)

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 4:34 AM Quote
Before I finally try to sleep. LOL. Let me just say that the bit I was talking about at the start is what they played live. I just thought it was really cool. Without any music, they go 'you gotta get up, you gotta get up, you gotta get up' and then just Fran I believe goes 'but I don't wanna get up' like really soft and then boom the music starts! :) Hopefully they'll continue to do that live.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 4:36 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Before I finally try to sleep. LOL. Let me just say that the bit I was talking about at the start is what they played live. I just thought it was really cool. Without any music, they go 'you gotta get up, you gotta get up, you gotta get up' and then just Fran I believe goes 'but I don't wanna get up' like really soft and then boom the music starts! :) Hopefully they'll continue to do that live.

Hmm..that sounds cool. Hope they do it live too. Night! :)

cartoonmatrix
cartoonmatrix Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 5:48 AM Quote
Wow is all I can say about "Sarah". May very well be their most mature song musically and lyrically to date. If I was a filmmaker, I'd make a film around this song. The album needs to come out soon :) And the subsequent tour which must include Atlanta.

bogusblue
bogusblue Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 6:44 AM Quote
Ohhh thanks a lot for your reviews!! I wish I could listen both songs (Get Up and Sarah), but after reading all your nicely posted reviews feels like I already have :o). However I do want to listen the songs heehee xD.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 7:06 AM Quote
Yes Sarah gets my vote too. Can't give that a B at all !

Like Perfect Heaven Space and Sailing Away - under a bushel . Beatles had to do this too though , remember :)

milos
milos Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 8:06 AM Quote
I really like Get Up! I think it's very important for a great album to be diverse, and all the songs from the new album i've heard so far (bad-quality live recordings & Get Up and J. Smith) are unique and have their own style. And at the same time they are different from anything they have done before! I can't wait to hear the full album! Sarah is also great. I think it could have been an album track.. Beautiful melody and the lyrics are awesome!

choke the chicken
choke the chicken Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 10:10 AM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

Yes! I really want that to be on the album version (If it is actually going to be on the album now?) The vocal part at the start is what made the song instantly likeable and stand out from previous travis tracks.

Do you think Chinese Blues will have the guy talking at the start about going mad at the beginning?

Rallyfoeraren
Rallyfoeraren Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 1:27 PM Quote
Does anyone else think that "Get Up" sounds a lot like U2? It reminds me of "Seconds" or maybe something else from the "War" album.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 1:58 PM Quote
For the first milisecond it sounds like it's going to be an R.E.M. song. Then it goes kinda Radiohead-esque drums. Then Travis make it their own as soon as Frans voice comes in. Like it

Nikki
Nikki Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 2:11 PM Quote
Rallyfoeraren wrote:
Does anyone else think that "Get Up" sounds a lot like U2? It reminds me of "Seconds" or maybe something else from the "War" album.

Is that the song that goes "It takes a second to say goodbye" ?? Because my boyfriend is a big U2 fan and pointed out to me when I first played him TBWNN that "Eyes Wide Open" sounded a lot like that song and, actually, "Get Up" has a similar beat to "Eyes Wide Open." The "You gotta get up, you gotta get up, you gotta get up, I don't wanna get up" part sounds a lot like "All these visions in my head, should've gone to bed before the watershed"...or maybe I'm just crazy :P

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 3:02 PM Quote
I'm enjoying Get Up much more today. It finally passes the test. Got me dancing. ;) hehe. Glad it's on the album. :)

Enjoying Sarah even more too. I LOVE it. One of my favourite Travis songs at this moment. The piano is lovely. I hope they keep the piano as an important part of their future music. It is great! More of a classical sound which I love. The Coldplay/Keane style piano isn't so interesting.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 3:10 PM Quote
choke the chicken wrote:
Yes! I really want that to be on the album version (If it is actually going to be on the album now?) The vocal part at the start is what made the song instantly likeable and stand out from previous travis tracks.

Do you think Chinese Blues will have the guy talking at the start about going mad at the beginning?

I'm pretty sure it's on the album, and I don't know whether or not they'd record it twice. It sounds awesome to me anyway :D

I think the mad guy was only for the live shows, that would be a weird start to an album!

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 3:15 PM Quote
Hey James. Yeah I agree about the mad dude at the live shows. We don't want him on the album everytime I stick it on. LOL

Why would you think the start of Get Up would be on the album? Seems a bit strange to put it on here without the start if that's the case. I love it like this now but I suppose that was one reason I was disappointed at first. Expected the cool intro but didn't get it.

EDIT! I see now. You talking about the song itself! Haha. Yeah, it'll be there.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Mon 30 Jun, 2008 6:30 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:

EDIT! I see now. You talking about the song itself! Haha. Yeah, it'll be there.

I've just read back what I wrote and confused myself, so sorry about that :)

Pages Previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:00 PM