Travis

I claim this the first Album #7 post! (+ New Fran Interview)
everyday_face
everyday_face Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 9:59 AM Quote
Not to suggest I'm not looking forward to the next few months of Ode to J. Smith! But with that in the bag it's time to discuss album #7. Hah, only joking but just saw this and thought I'd share....

From Planet Sound (Teletext)....

Travis have said they may record their next album on a four-track studio.

The band recorded new album Ode to J. Smith, out in September, on 16-track equipment, but have been advisedto go even more basic by The Beatles' former engineer, Geoff Emerick.

Fran Healy told us: "Four-track technology sounds so exciting. Digitial technology is just re-creating analogue, and it's easy to forget how good the basics sound."

PS: It also says that there will be a full Travis interview on there tomorrow. So point your browsers here....

http://www.teletext.co.uk/PlanetSound/Interviews-Features/default.aspx

Cos that's where it will be either late tonight or tomorrow. Enjoy!
x

Re: I claim this as the first Album #7 post!
gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 10:39 AM Quote
everyday_face wrote:
Not to suggest I'm not looking forward to the next few months of Ode to J. Smith! But with that in the bag it's time to discuss album #7. Hah, only joking but just saw this and thought I'd share....

From Planet Sound (Teletext)....

Travis have said they may record their next album on a four-track studio.

The band recorded new album Ode to J. Smith, out in September, on 16-track equipment, but have been advisedto go even more basic by The Beatles' former engineer, Geoff Emerick.

Fran Healy told us: "Four-track technology sounds so exciting. Digitial technology is just re-creating analogue, and it's easy to forget how good the basics sound."

PS: It also says that there will be a full Travis interview on there tomorrow. So point your browsers here....

http://www.teletext.co.uk/PlanetSound/Interviews-Features/default.aspx

Cos that's where it will be either late tonight or tomorrow. Enjoy!
x

Cheers for that!

So the album is definitely out in September then! Narrow's it down to 5 dates!
1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd or 29th September 2008.

Travis go back to basics

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 2:12 PM Quote
Thanks. They might just be guessing with September. I told a mate of mine September recently. We don't know for sure but I'm sticking to 8th September. ;)

And 4 track worries me a bit. Is that really going to sound good?!?!

It's up....exctiting times!!
everyday_face
everyday_face Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 10:20 PM Quote
Here ya go! Eee excited now! An album a year, you say?! I'll have some of that. Thank you. x

Travis go full circle
By John Earls - "This is the coolest time we've ever had. It's 12 years since we started our own label - it's like the clock's gone back to mid-day."

In 1996, Travis released debut single All I Want To Do Is Rock on their own label - and now the band are fighting fit by reviving their own record label.

"We're hungry," says Fran Healy. "We're totally responsible for everything now, and it's so intense."

Fran says it's inevitable there were times Travis lost that hunger.

"When you travel the world non-stop, you don't know yourself," he says. "You suddenly go 'God, I've got indigestion' and you need a big s***, then hopefully you get the hunger back.

"But I love hungry bands, like Coldplay - Chris Martin is hungry. Johnny Borrell, now he's starving. You're like 'Hey, come on, no-one's THAT hungry!'"

New album Ode To J Smith is out in September, barely a year after Travis' previous album The Boy With No Name.

"It's becuase we're free," enthuses Fran, 34. "The new label model is the same as the old one. The Beatles made an album a year, and I want to do that.

"The idea of six singles from one album is ridiculous. Put out two, then make another album. I want our band to do it
quicker, to tour in new places."

New single J Smith - a brilliantly mad mini-opera - began as a simple riff.

"I drove to an aiport at 6am the day after we wrote it, buzzing," says Fran.

"I thought 'Who is this guy?', and how did Bowie come up with the name Ziggy Stardust? The guy in the song is so normal, I gave him the most common name in the world. And, for what's our most amibtious song, it's funny to call it
something so boring and normal."

It features a choir singing. In Latin.

"I wanted J Smith to go to Heaven and be greeted by angels," states Fran.

"A friend whose fluent in Latin told me how the Catholic church had decreed in the last five years that angels speak in Latin, because some Cardinal at the Vatican had a visitation in which the angels spoke in Latin. He'd probably had a lot of holy wine that day, but Latin is officially Heaven's language."

The songs are "loosely themed", but Fran insists it's not a concept album.

"Because we wrote and recorded the album in five weeks, it was as much of a necessity as anything to make the songs charcater-based," he explains.

"Over two years, you meander through the writing process, discarding songs, picking them back up, going 'Hmm.' It becomes self-centred. Not this record."

The Article Online

Re: I claim this the first Album #7 post! (+ New Fran Interv
BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 10:32 PM Quote
Thanks a lot. He's already said he wants to do an album a year. Nice to read it again though. ;) haha. Like i've said on here before, i think we'll get 7 and 8 quite quickly but i can't see them keeping that up for too long.

choke the chicken
choke the chicken Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 10:35 PM Quote
"You suddenly go 'God, I've got indigestion' and you need a big s***, then hopefully you get the hunger back."

Thats an awesome quote

heich
heich Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 10:44 PM Quote
gladsadmad wrote:

Cheers for that!
So the album is definitely out in September then! Narrow's it down to 5 dates!
1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd or 29th September 2008.

i agree with those dates but we shouldnt take them as granted

lately some bands have been releasing their albums on thursday or tuesday and not necessarily on monday

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 10:53 PM Quote
ah! so exciting!

Re: It's up....exctiting times!!
GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 10:57 PM Quote
"The idea of six singles from one album is ridiculous. Put out two, then make another album. I want our band to do it

[/quote]Thats great that the live experience gets out to more people, but please still tour in the usual places as well. Can Travis get around to everyone who wants to hear thier new albums live every year,
Great news for all fans if this is the case.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Fri 27 Jun, 2008 12:39 AM Quote
Thanks for posting that interview. This is the first time I can actually say I want summer to be over NOW. I can't freakin' wait for Ode to J. Smith!!!! An album a year?! Ahh...I love you, Travis. :)

Meridith
Meridith Posted Fri 27 Jun, 2008 2:36 AM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Thanks for posting that interview. This is the first time I can actually say I want summer to be over NOW. I can't freakin' wait for Ode to J. Smith!!!! An album a year?! Ahh...I love you, Travis. :)

I concur...I'm ready for fall! I can't wait!!!! I heart Travis too. Pretty much ditto on everything you said Nikki! :)

erikausagi
erikausagi Posted Fri 27 Jun, 2008 3:58 AM Quote
everyday_face wrote:

SEPTEMBER!!!???????? OMG! I have to wait 2 and half months!!!

Re: It's up....exctiting times!!
gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Fri 27 Jun, 2008 8:42 AM Quote
Fran wrote:
"It's because we're free," enthuses Fran, 34. "The new label model is the same as the old one. The Beatles made an album a year, and I want to do that.

So if J. Smith isn't an official single like they say just a taster, that means that there should be 2 proper singles released from Ode To J. Smith before album 7 next year in 2009 and album 8 by the same principle in, er, 2010... *cool!*

But what should they be?

My choices if I had to choose are Before You Were Young definitely and Song To Self.

Alisha
Alisha Posted Fri 27 Jun, 2008 10:17 AM Quote
SEPTEMBER SEPTEMBERRRRR http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2628/th084ff2.gif

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Fri 27 Jun, 2008 1:28 PM Quote
Definitely Song To Self and Long Way Down

But it will be Song To Self and Last Words.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 5:07 PM