Travis

Eurovision
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear)
Gladly (the cross-eyed bear) Posted Tue 27 May, 2008 11:15 AM Quote
Do any other British people on this board actually feel European while watching this?
This competition becomes more bizarre every year. It makes me feel so far removed from Europe, even though iam, by definition, European.

Thoughts?

Re: Eurovision
Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 27 May, 2008 11:26 AM Quote
I heard that Terry Wogan is planning to pull out of commentating. He apparently said that there's simply no point. UK also possibly to pull out of competing for the same reason.

I also heard that only 2 countries voted for the UK. What little I saw of it was a support statement for your political and geographical neighbour, no more, no less. Nothing to do with music whatsoever.

If this is part of what being European is, then no, I'm completely isolated! No man (or woman) is an island, except when it comes to the UK entry into Eurovision. Nul points from me....

WeeLittleLassyxoxo
WeeLittleLassyxoxo Posted Tue 27 May, 2008 11:51 AM Quote
Unfortunately it's not about good music anymore. Basically Eurovision has now become a political contest and so even if we put the biggest selling star in we'd still come last. All the neighbouring countries vote for each other and no one likes us because of various stuff in the past few years. The only reason we're still in it is because we put about £200,000 in every year. Such a shame.

xoxo

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Tue 27 May, 2008 11:52 AM Quote
WeeLittleLassyxoxo wrote:
Unfortunately it's not about good music anymore. Basically Eurovision has now become a political contest and so even if we put the biggest selling star in we'd still come last. All the neighbouring countries vote for each other and no one likes us because of various stuff in the past few years. The only reason we're still in it is because we put about £200,000 in every year. Such a shame.

xoxo

Yup!

Tonie
Tonie Posted Tue 27 May, 2008 12:15 PM Quote
The only reason we're still in it is because we put about £200,000 in every year.

True.

So it's politics and money. Where does music come in the priorities?

And it certainly doesn't bring all the countries together in any form of unity, as was, I'm sure, the original purpose of the competition. Which lends weight to Gladly's original comment about feeling a sense of removal from the European community.

Sad really. End of an era and all that. But it doesn't serve any communal purpose any more, as far as I can see.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 27 May, 2008 12:16 PM Quote
Yep I agree with said points. :P

I was thinking if it would be possible to change the rules, whereby we saw a performance but weren't told which country it represented. Would be a much fairer system in principal, but of course there are all sorts of holes. You could easily enough research it for example, and the French would stick out like a sore thumb 'cos they sing in French. But I'm working on it!

*goes back to refining new eurovision model*

Hanne
Hanne Posted Tue 27 May, 2008 12:27 PM Quote
Typing to Reach You wrote:

I was thinking if it would be possible to change the rules, whereby we saw a performance but weren't told which country it represented. Would be a much fairer system in principal, but of course there are all sorts of holes. You could easily enough research it for example, and the French would stick out like a sore thumb 'cos they sing in French. But I'm working on it!

But the French did sing in English this year. Something about ze milkivay :oP

Ursina
Ursina Posted Tue 27 May, 2008 12:30 PM Quote
Unfortunately it's not about good music anymore.
xoxo

well it never was, was it ?

still I get your point, I think we should pull out definitely and let them to it.

Hanne
Hanne Posted Tue 27 May, 2008 12:32 PM Quote
I actually quite liked the German entry last year. Hmm.

Helen *the original*
Helen *the original* Posted Tue 27 May, 2008 12:37 PM Quote
It definately divides western and eastern Europeans. Makes you feel like an outcast. I've always laughed at Eurovision and only watch it to see the bizarre acts but when the voting is as it is and when it's not about the music or in fact the act itself, just what country you're from, it makes you as a member of a certain country feel like an outcast!

Ursina
Ursina Posted Tue 27 May, 2008 12:51 PM Quote
yep, the whole thing becomes more bizarre evey year

must say I quite liked the Swiss entry.. at least he behaved more or less normal

sorry angel
sorry angel Posted Tue 27 May, 2008 12:53 PM Quote
Ursina wrote:
Unfortunately it's not about good music anymore.
xoxo

well it never was, was it ?

My thoughts exactly...or hasn't been about good music for at least 30 years...as of course we all remember Abba wan it.

Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Tue 27 May, 2008 1:00 PM Quote
Hanne wrote:

But the French did sing in English this year. Something about ze milkivay :oP

Heh ah cool. Thing is I went to this 'eurovision party' (it could only happen at uni!), where way too many people squeezed into a kitchen to watch the eurovision. Only nobody actually watched it. Couldn't hear anything either. :P Actually I do remember the French entry being some hairy fella, right?

Hanne
Hanne Posted Tue 27 May, 2008 2:23 PM Quote

Heh ah cool. Thing is I went to this 'eurovision party' (it could only happen at uni!), where way too many people squeezed into a kitchen to watch the eurovision. Only nobody actually watched it. Couldn't hear anything either. :P Actually I do remember the French entry being some hairy fella, right?

Yes, and he entered the stage in a buggy.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Tue 27 May, 2008 3:56 PM Quote

It's definitely time to set up a rival series, I think we should only invite who we want, so the UK, France, Germany and a few other places from round there. Anyone who gives 12 points to their neighbour gets disqualified, which is also good because France can't vote for Spain, Switzerland, Monte-Carlo, Italy, Germany, Luxembourg or Belgium so they have to vote for one of the UK's entries :D

EDIT: Oh, I forgot the point of the thread: Eurovision doesn't make me feel less European because I don't feel very European anyway. It's nice it's there, but it doesn't affect me much at all.
Does anyone else think Russia is pushing the Europe boundaries a bit? At least 90% of it is above Asia, not Europe.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 11:22 AM