Travis

Questions
GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 6:16 PM Quote
Question 1: Is J Smith going to be the first single from Ode To J Smith? Or is it too risky.
I wonder if Fran knows the answer already. (maybe i've missed somthing here!)

Question 2: Anyone have any thoughts on what sort of video Travis will make to accompany this song?

I'm seeing an animation video, with none of the guys in it, to acompany this song.

Re: Questions
gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 6:31 PM Quote
GMS1968 wrote:
Question 1: Is J Smith going to be the first single from Ode To J Smith?

Well, according to this website it is:-
http://turnyourearsoff.blogspot.com/2008/05/new-travis-single-hits-airwaves.html

Nikki
Nikki Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 6:36 PM Quote
gladsadmad wrote:
GMS1968 wrote:

http://turnyourearsoff.blogspot.com/2008/05/new-travis-single-hits-airwaves.html

That's what the Web site says, but whoever wrote that misquoted what the radio show host actually said. He said it's a track from their forthcoming album. He never said it was the first single. It could be, I don't know.

heich
heich Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 7:26 PM Quote
gladsadmad wrote:
GMS1968 wrote:

But Fran said there was no promo, he only played the song for them and that was it.

I think J. Smith wont be the first single of the new album

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 7:35 PM Quote
I think Song To Self will be the first single but I'd like J Smith to be a single eventually. :)

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 8:16 PM Quote
I think that J Smith being 'released' to the radio is of no importance whatsoever to what the single is, and I still have no idea!
I think they probably found out from Closer and SJ last time that sometimes it's best to release the best song first and don't wait - if SJ had been first single it would have been played more than Closer and more than it did as second single.

GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 8:36 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
I think that J Smith being 'released' to the radio is of no importance whatsoever to what the single is, and I still have no idea!
I think they probably found out from Closer and SJ last time that sometimes it's best to release the best song first and don't wait - if SJ had been first single it would have been played more than Closer and more than it did as second single.

Re SJ and Closer.... I must admit i thought that at the time. But maybe the emotional plea of Closer appealed to a wider audience than SJ.
Mind you, both are great. But i do rate SJ as one of the best Travis songs, until now that is.

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 9:06 PM Quote
That's true, but at least this time they have so many great songs that they don't have a problem :D

GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 9:14 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
That's true, but at least this time they have so many great songs that they don't have a problem :D

In a way, that kind of makes choice of first single harder and more crucial, don't you think.
I want borderline Travis fans to go WOW when they hear the first single and say i must have that new Travis album.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 9:23 PM Quote
Thats why J Smith would be good single. Fans buy album anyway but this song will reach people who might not be interested if perhaps they release Last Words or something. That should be single because its a great song but J Smith should too, to reach the wider, or different audience. :)

the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 9:24 PM Quote
Also true, but at least they have a good selection. I can't imagine it would make much difference between some of the tracks, but the stakes are slightly higher this time, because the songs are better so they should get played more.

I'm even confusing myself now. I'll shut up :)

I Came in Through the Bathroom Window
I Came in Through the Bathroom Window Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 9:55 PM Quote
I think J. Smith might be a good first single, because it sounds very different. Compared to Closer it's almost antithetic. I think it would catch people's attention.
I don't know about the rest of the album, but at least in this song they really show how amazing musicians they are. J. Smith as first single could be a good way of getting more people into Travis. But then it's so different that maybe it will weird people out? I don't know. All I know is it blows my mind. It's amazing.

About the video, I have no idea. They tend to make very cool videos anyway :o)

GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Sat 03 May, 2008 10:02 PM Quote
To be brave or go for mass appeal. Not straying away from a tried and trusted format.
I am convinced that Ode To J Smith will have more staying power than The Boy With No name in terms of hanging around near the top of the album charts. The boy fell away quite quickly and didn't come back did it.

Craig
Craig Posted Sun 04 May, 2008 7:21 AM Quote
i hope j smith is not the first single, i always said big chair should have been a single off tbwnn

lost-angel
lost-angel Posted Sun 04 May, 2008 10:46 AM Quote
I don't mind J. Smith being the first single. It probably would be a smart decision for it would appeal to another set of audience which different from what “Closer” was intended for. With the kind of music nowadays, I'm sure it will stand out from the rest.

I hope they can manage to pull in some big names, like Ben Stiller And Demitri Martin, in their next video.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:14 AM