triple post

Re: Fran,why call it chinese blue???
spid
spid Posted Thu 01 May, 2008 9:01 AM Quote
double post

20462046 Posted Thu 01 May, 2008 11:49 AM Quote
spid wrote:
Hmmmm, how to kill a sensible disscusion in one foul swoop.

Nobody was trying to insuuate anything or insult anyone or there country even politely.

There comes a point when a country has to hold up its hands and say 'we were wrong' - ENgland has done it over slavery, Australia dna NZ over Aboriginal and Moari rights, USA over Native American Indians and slavery. If every country refused to listen to the condemnation of the international world then we would have many more M'gabe's (sp, I know)and Amin's. What happened in Tianemin Square was an incident acknowledged internationally and everyone has a right to comment on it from their cultural point of view without being slated as country bashing. Sometimes you just have to stand up and be counted. CHina has a lot of issues (tibet included) and saying that the minority has to be sacrificed for the majority just doesn't wash it nowadays - otherwise you may as well say Hilter was right! And we all agree that isn't true! Genocide is never right no matter how 'good' a government may say it is.

CHinese Blues is a song - nothing more and nothing less - a person's individual reaction to a song is theirs and their right to have. The theory was good and in no way intend to offend.

Wind your neck in pal, it's far too exposed!

however wrong the tiananmen incident is,it is far less outrageous than US-Iraq war

our arguement here is meaningless since only music here

reflect on your US atrocity enough,then you can comment others!!!

spid
spid Posted Thu 01 May, 2008 12:08 PM Quote
20462046 wrote:

however wrong the tiananmen incident is,it is far less outrageous than US-Iraq war

I'm NOT American.
I don't support Bush nor the war in Iraq.
I dare to disagree with my government - do you?

I commented on your outburst because you slated others first. You started this.

I said that we have to take responsiblity for our contries mistakes - I admitted that we weren't perfect as a country - but saying that another person is insulting your country because they refer to an incident within it is out of order.

There is Patriotism and then beyond.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Thu 01 May, 2008 12:37 PM Quote
spid wrote:
20462046 wrote:

I'm NOT American.
I don't support Bush nor the war in Iraq.
I dare to disagree with my government - do you?

I commented on your outburst because you slated others first. You started this.

I said that we have to take responsiblity for our contries mistakes - I admitted that we weren't perfect as a country - but saying that another person is insulting your country because they refer to an incident within it is out of order.

There is Patriotism and then beyond.

Thanks Spid.

My post was in NO WAY meant to offend anyone, and I do question my own government and I'm very much against the War in Iraq. I was simply posting about the image that popped into my head after reading the lyrics and trying to relate that to the title of the song. Everybody is entitled to their own interpretation.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 01 May, 2008 1:09 PM Quote
I totally understand that people can interpret songs in their own way. I was just saying that only the writer can truly know what he was writing about and where it came from. (unless the listener knows of course) :) In otherwords, Fran wrote these lyrics so only he can tell us where they came from etc and say its meaning. But we can interpret them to suit ourselves.

But I'm really not into 'listening' to lyrics if you get what I mean. :)

People are taking this waaay to seriously. lol

maryhill_johnny
maryhill_johnny Posted Thu 01 May, 2008 1:21 PM Quote
edit - decided that i would delete this comment for a couple of reasons. cheers, johnny

spid
spid Posted Thu 01 May, 2008 1:27 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:

Thanks Spid.

You're welcome Nikki.

spid
spid Posted Thu 01 May, 2008 1:27 PM Quote
deleted

maryhill_johnny
maryhill_johnny Posted Thu 01 May, 2008 2:00 PM Quote
spid, could you do me a favour and delete my quote above?
I still agree with some of what i have written but wish i hadn't in the context.
hope that's ok?
johnny

spid
spid Posted Thu 01 May, 2008 3:34 PM Quote
double post

damon
damon Posted Thu 01 May, 2008 5:50 PM Quote
20462046 wrote:
Nikki wrote:
I could be completely wrong here...but when I first heard the song and then read the lyrics, I immediately thought of The Tiananmen Square Massacre, in China in 1989. "It's the knife in your back, it's the heart attack, it's the way you look back before you step out" could represent an authoritative government. The most famous picture from that incident was the "tank man" - who I've always been fascinated with because he was so brave and no one knows what happened to him. He's the unknown man...sort of like J. Smith.

http://i31.tinypic.com/2m7t5pd.jpg

I've only heard the song once, but from what I remember, the piano solo almost sounded pentatonic and very Asian-inspired. Maybe... :P

Anyway, that's my wild guess!

so allow me to call it a polite humiliation to me and my motherland

since different governments with different political intentions and interests report one thing by different means and extent to serve their respective perposes,we can hardly know the truth below the history.

As the political situation was not stable at that time in china,when put it in the long run,something minority have to be sacrificed to ensure the peaceful living of majority.

I could be completely wrong here...but if the title of this song is called American blue,i think the first picture appearing in my brain is the discomposure in New York caused by undue Iraq war

here i do not wanna talk too much about Tiananmen Square Massacre,maybe Tiananmen Square riots exactely.
music should have no relations with politics,even you have this weird imagination,keep it yourself as this imagination is sensitive and unpolite to some fans

anyway,i agree with your piano solo conjecture and i do not think the friendly fran compose chinese blue by that unfriendly inspiration

i may not be 100% interested in tiananmen square masacre (or forbbiden city if you prefer),,, i was only 5 years !,,,

perhaps this thing of pro tibet has something related don't you think? many people think that china goverment was brutal with lhasa people, and travis is quite political,,, anyway, they were at live 8 isn't it ??? and also 12 memories is quite obvious for what's was going on iraq and uk's goverments decision

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 01 May, 2008 7:12 PM Quote
BenFilbert wrote:
Surely only the writer of the song can give its true meaning, unless the listener knows it. I don't think one can simply make up a meaning. :)

I completely disagree (in the nicest way :)) The songwriter has an experience or an opinion that they write about, but it's up to the listeners to really find what the songs means to them. If the song reminds Nikki of the Chinese government, that's what it means to her, although it evidently means something different to 20462046 :P

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 01 May, 2008 7:52 PM Quote
You've totally misunderstood what I've said. Basically you've said exactly the same as me. And I also said that only Fran knows where he plucked those words from. You don't know where he plucked those words from. The way he wrote the song whether it is directly about something, or maybe a couple of things. Whether it is about a feeling or something, only Fran knows where it came from. Like I said, people can interpret that in whatever way they like.

EDIT. You obviously didn't read my second post on this matter.

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Thu 01 May, 2008 10:26 PM Quote
OK, sorry if I misunderstood, I did read both your posts, but I obviously got the wrong impression.

I still think you're saying that a song has a solid 'meaning' which is what the writer intends, and people interpret the same meaning in different ways, whereas I'm saying that there is no steadfast 'meaning' and that whilst Fran knows the original inspiration, he doesn't know what the song means to every single person who's heard it, so noone knows the full meaning.

This is getting a bit heavy, isn't it? Does anyone else want to offer an opinion about the name of Chinese Blues?

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 Next All Times BST Current Time 9:56 PM