Travis

Shocking Statistic - 1/3 of all girls half self harmed
Darran
Darran Posted Fri 25 Apr, 2008 3:59 PM Quote
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7365192.stm

I find this very worrying statistic.

There's no doubt thousands more who do it but tell nobody, let alone seek medical help which is very sad and worrying.

Re: Shocking Statistic - 1/3 of all girls half self harmed
SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Fri 25 Apr, 2008 4:08 PM Quote
This is so sad! What is up with the youth these days? I'm sure a lot of this was going on when we/I was growing up, and we just didn't know it, but man!
There seems to be sooo many more problems with kids these days. It's pretty disturbing.

Lemon Grinner
Lemon Grinner Posted Fri 25 Apr, 2008 4:16 PM Quote
There's so much pressure to look good these days, I'm not suprised at all by this statistic. Kids grow up way too fast, you're made to feel like an idiot if you havent experienced this that and the other by the time you're 15 or whatever and I just think it's ridiculous.
At my college everyone looks the same and is shagging everyone and goes out binging on the weekends. There is the tinyest minority who don't do this and I know that they feel so isolated by this coz the majority of people just think they are lame for never having a boyfriend, or never getting drunk. It's bound to bring a lot of misery to em.
And in the media and that everyone's so so 'pretty' (I find them to be more boring than pretty, but never mind). Especially in those magazines that loads of girls read, there are 'celebs' being slated for looking like shite, when really they just look like how any normal person should look. So what if you've got a bit of a belly and a bit of acne. It's human.

I shall stop talking now, I feel like I've ranted on a bit.

ashleyb
ashleyb Posted Fri 25 Apr, 2008 4:21 PM Quote
Amen, Grinner, amen.

dee
dee Posted Fri 25 Apr, 2008 4:31 PM Quote
i'm not surprised at all.
i think as darran says that the figures could be even higher than that. even by just thinking of the other forms of self-harm that girls inflict upon themselves.
there are plenty of girls who run themselves into the ground by over-exercising as a form of self-punsishment, barely eating and then intentionally staying up half the night...it's awful.

weirdmom
weirdmom Posted Fri 25 Apr, 2008 5:05 PM Quote
Someone once explained to me the concept of "change the pain."

In olden times sometimes if they were going to do something painful to you they would purposely cause pain to another part of your body to distract you. For example, perhaps they were going to remove an arrowhead from your arm and sew up the wound so they would put a clothespin on your leg. The theory was you wouldn't notice the pain of the arrowhead removal as much if you were focusing on the pain of the clothespin pinching you.

In the same way there is a theory that especially girls cut themselves because of intense emotional pain. They would rather feel physical pain than the emotional turmoil going on inside. I've also heard girls say it's the only time they feel something, otherwise they feel numb.

I don't have a solution and it's all very sad but that theory makes a lot of sense for me and makes my heart go out to these folks even more.

megg_inc
megg_inc Posted Sat 26 Apr, 2008 4:49 PM Quote
ashleyb wrote:
Amen, Grinner, amen.

Ditto.

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 11:55 AM