Travis

A question for Mr. Fran Healy
daytimeoyster
daytimeoyster Posted Tue 25 Mar, 2008 12:54 PM Quote
Just out of curiosity

Would you listen to your own songs for leisure?

suddenly thought about this earlier today
and now I'm really interested in this question
would you PLEASE give me the answer?

Re: A question for Mr. Fran Healy
the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Tue 25 Mar, 2008 2:52 PM Quote
I don't know about Travis, but I remember Chris Martin saying quite strongly that he would prefer if they didn't play a Coldplay song before interviews. I'd imagine it's roughly the same for Fran, because he's heard the studio recordings a million times, so it sort of loses the sparkle.
On the other hand, it must be mildly flattering that they want to play it in the first place, even though it might just be to remind people who that Fran Healy guy is anyway ;)

Sarah-
Sarah- Posted Tue 25 Mar, 2008 3:24 PM Quote
^well, if you hear chris on radio interviews, he's sometimes really begging the host not to play any coldplay while he's there... lol. i never really understood why, though. i don't think it's just because he's listened to his own songs that often...
i sometimes think he's sort of overreacting, no offence though, i love chris xD

good question there.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 25 Mar, 2008 4:11 PM Quote
Hey guys! I've heard that too about Chris Martin not wanting to listen to Coldplay songs. Strange. I also recall hearing that the reason Coldplay doesn't put lyrics in their CD booklets is because he doesn't feel their good enough or something. I find that kinda bizarre if that's true. But who knows.

It would be interesting to know if Fran and the other band mates listen to Travis for pleasure. I'm sure they do on occasion, but they must get tired of performing the same songs over and over. I listen to Travis everyday and never get sick of it!! :D

rebekah
rebekah Posted Tue 25 Mar, 2008 4:31 PM Quote
well i imagine they like their songs...(otherwise why would they put them on cd?) but i also think that it would take agges for them to get to the cd stage and in that time..they would have had to record little bits of that song for hundreds of times..so i imagine they get a bit sick of it..if you get me..
.. but then again they do perform the songs to fans over and over again..but there are some songs that don't get played that often..i wonder if it is because they don't like playing them as much or what they think the crowd would prefer to hear..
i was wondering fran, if you actually have a favourite song that you looovee to play at a gig or you go for the most popular ones that everyone loves?
(did i go off on a tangent again? sorry if i did lol)
x

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Tue 25 Mar, 2008 5:25 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
I also recall hearing that the reason Coldplay doesn't put lyrics in their CD booklets is because he doesn't feel their good enough or something. I find that kinda bizarre if that's true. But who knows.

I heard they don't write lyrics because he wants the fans to interpret the songs in whatever way they want to, rather than deciding what it's about when you read the lyrics.

He probably is slightly embarassed to hear a Coldplay song because he knows the personal things behind it, and it's easy revealing it in a studio, but it must be weird sitting there while someone plays back to you those feelings :)

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 25 Mar, 2008 5:31 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Nikki wrote:
I also recall hearing that the reason Coldplay doesn't put lyrics in their CD booklets is because he doesn't feel their good enough or something. I find that kinda bizarre if that's true. But who knows.

I heard they don't write lyrics because he wants the fans to interpret the songs in whatever way they want to, rather than deciding what it's about when you read the lyrics.

He probably is slightly embarassed to hear a Coldplay song because he knows the personal things behind it, and it's easy revealing it in a studio, but it must be weird sitting there while someone plays back to you those feelings :)

Ahhh...I see. That would make more sense and it's understandable.

Conor14
Conor14 Posted Tue 25 Mar, 2008 6:47 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Hey guys! I've heard that too about Chris Martin not wanting to listen to Coldplay songs. Strange. I also recall hearing that the reason Coldplay doesn't put lyrics in their CD booklets is because he doesn't feel their good enough or something. I find that kinda bizarre if that's true. But who knows.

It would be interesting to know if Fran and the other band mates listen to Travis for pleasure. I'm sure they do on occasion, but they must get tired of performing the same songs over and over. I listen to Travis everyday and never get sick of it!! :D

i read a jeff buckley interview where he said something similar. he said he didnt want to put in lyrics in the album booklet because people won't interpret the songs themselves but also because any lyrics written down look pretty crap. he also said that some people wrote to him asking for lyrics so he made them a booklet with the songs written down. what a hero, r.i.p.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 25 Mar, 2008 7:01 PM Quote
Conor14 wrote:
Nikki wrote:

i read a jeff buckley interview where he said something similar. he said he didnt want to put in lyrics in the album booklet because people won't interpret the songs themselves but also because any lyrics written down look pretty crap. he also said that some people wrote to him asking for lyrics so he made them a booklet with the songs written down. what a hero, r.i.p.

I love reading the lyrics in the CD booklets, and Fran's are amazing. It's like poetry to me.

Wow. How cool would it be to get hand-written lyrics from someone like Jeff Buckley. That's pretty awesome.

Sky-Blue Puppy
Sky-Blue Puppy Posted Tue 25 Mar, 2008 8:48 PM Quote
If i'm not completely mistaken I believe Fran has several times said in interviews that he indeed does listen to their own records. I don't know of course if he listens to them for leisure or 'work' :) He certainly mentioned it in the FaceCulture interview last summer.

Peewee
Peewee Posted Tue 25 Mar, 2008 9:34 PM Quote
I wonder if the wives etc listen to the music. Ha ha can you imagine that. They walk in and go not again can you PLEASE turn that off!?! lmao

TK23
TK23 Posted Tue 25 Mar, 2008 10:08 PM Quote
Ah, good question! I've always wondered this about musicians. Can you imagine how funny it would be, taking a look at Fran's iPod, and seeing nothing but Travis? Haha, I doubt it.

Nikki
Nikki Posted Tue 25 Mar, 2008 10:30 PM Quote
Peewee wrote:
I wonder if the wives etc listen to the music. Ha ha can you imagine that. They walk in and go not again can you PLEASE turn that off!?! lmao

Good question about the wives, too. We know baby Clay likes Travis...especially "Sing"! :)

FranFlower
FranFlower Posted Tue 25 Mar, 2008 11:33 PM Quote
Nikki wrote:
Peewee wrote:

Good question about the wives, too. We know baby Clay likes Travis...especially "Sing"! :)

I was just about to mention that. Gotta love Clay's taste in music ;-) But haven't Fran said he doesn't listen much to any music? I might be wrong though..

And lol at the "wives-question"! :-P

milos
milos Posted Wed 26 Mar, 2008 2:20 PM Quote
I think i remember an interview with Fran where he said he feels uncomfortable when he hears his voice because he can't believe that's what he sounds like or something similar. But he also said that he's proud of his singing on Battleships.

Pages [1] 2 Next All Times BST Current Time 4:43 PM