Travis

Early single release?
GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Thu 14 Feb, 2008 2:38 PM Quote
Ok,We are all excited about the new album.
Its release can not come soon enough.
If it were to be released mid to late summer, would an early released single arround april/may, give the world a taster of what is to come,and get even more people, eagerly anticipating the albums release.
Then release the second single, just before the albums release date.
I know a few travis fans who rarely buy singles.
Maybe an early single way before the album is due to hit us, might get a higher percentage of fans to buy a first single, securing a higher chart posistion and therefore raising greater awareness of the impending album to follow.
A new single with, say lola and another track, would certainly keep us happy, while we wait.
What do you think?

Re: Early single release?
Typing to Reach You
Typing to Reach You Posted Thu 14 Feb, 2008 2:55 PM Quote
Would be cool. I don't get why bands/singers often only release one single before album release. Surely it would make more sense to release two or three, firstly to help generate higher interest and sales of the album in its week of release, and secondly because the singles themselves will likely sell more prior to people owning the album they come off.

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 14 Feb, 2008 3:13 PM Quote
I think it would be a good idea. Especially if it refers to the album due out shortly. It always used to be the case that singles were released then an album followed with the Singles on it, a bit later. That might be considered a sales risk for the album today , I dont know.

I think sometimes if the whole album comes out and then singles are released afterwards then some people are less inclined to buy twice. Again , I'm no expert.

A good B side would be Lola or Sailing Away although both would make great singles in their own right . Jeez I dont know! . What a conundrum

JohnSmith
JohnSmith Posted Thu 14 Feb, 2008 3:23 PM Quote
I agree, an early single of, for example, Before You Were Young (The best of the new songs), with one of the b-sides being Lola would go down a storm!

(It must be good, I keep waking up everyday since the concert with it in my head. I know already that it'll be one of my all-time favourites.)

Then release another single shortly before the album, maybe Get Up (Another good one).

I think Quite Free and Long Way Down have huge single potential as well. In fact, of the new ones I think the only ones that don't sound like singles to me is Something Anything and Broken Mirror, which seem too slow really. But that will probably change when I hear the studio versions.

What of the new songs do you think should be the singles?

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Thu 14 Feb, 2008 4:16 PM Quote
It is a good idea IF they really promote it and push it. If they don't do that they might as well not waste a single and do it later in the year.

Also, it would have to be a really rocky track too to get people to sit up and listen. Obviously most of the album is like that. Long Way Down would be a good choice i think.

GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Thu 14 Feb, 2008 4:21 PM Quote
I think there are 3 of the new songs that fall into the slower "first single category" of say closer and sing.
One of them being friends.

However, it may be a good time to be brave, and release either before you were young or get up.

I do not think travis would loose any fans with the release of any of the new exciting songs.

But i do feel there is a whole new breed of travis fan, just waiting to come on board, when the new material gets out there.

paul_c
paul_c Posted Fri 15 Feb, 2008 11:35 PM Quote
I think the band should concentrate on recording the album and deciding what songs work and what songs don't before we get ahead of ourselves..

TBWNN isn't even a year old. Surely you can't be tired of it yet! I know i'm not

carlottarocks
carlottarocks Posted Sat 16 Feb, 2008 2:09 AM Quote
paul_c wrote:
TBWNN isn't even a year old. Surely you can't be tired of it yet! I know i'm not

Agreed, 100%!!!

the boy with a cryptic name
the boy with a cryptic name Posted Sat 16 Feb, 2008 1:38 PM Quote
Of course we're very lucky that Travis are back so soon, and they should take however much time they like (which recording wise isn't very much :) ).

On the other hand, as a general idea, I like it when bands release singles away from albums as it means you don't just get one injection of new material suddenly and then none for a long time after. Also, as said above, I'm sure it must boost sales, which can't be a bad thing.

I think it's also good to keep bands in people's minds, otherwise after three years away, you might lose some of your excitement about the band. This is obviously less applicable to Travis at the moment though.

BenFilbert
BenFilbert Posted Sat 16 Feb, 2008 11:18 PM Quote
the boy with a cryptic name wrote:
Of course we're very lucky that Travis are back so soon, and they should take however much time they like (which recording wise isn't very much :) ).

On the other hand, as a general idea, I like it when bands release singles away from albums as it means you don't just get one injection of new material suddenly and then none for a long time after. Also, as said above, I'm sure it must boost sales, which can't be a bad thing.

I think it's also good to keep bands in people's minds, otherwise after three years away, you might lose some of your excitement about the band. This is obviously less applicable to Travis at the moment though.

I agree with that and i think that your "after three years away, you might lose some of your excitement about the band" theory still applies to Travis. The Boy With No Name is a great album but after its first month on sale, the album had disappeared out of the charts and to non Travis fans, the band disappeared off the face of the earth again. To a lot of people, Travis haven't been around for years and years. I think a real hard push for this next album could get them selling records again. The quality has always been there but they've lost the 'cool' factor and they've disappeared out of people's minds. The new stuff is quality and its the sort of stuff that can really sell. They need to push it like hell! :)

gladsadmad
gladsadmad Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 9:19 AM Quote
GMS1968 Posted Thu 14 Feb, 2008 2:38 PM

GMS1968 wrote:
Ok,We are all excited about the new album.
Its release can not come soon enough.
If it were to be released mid to late summer, would an early released single arround april/may, give the world a taster of what is to come,and get even more people, eagerly anticipating the albums release.
Then release the second single, just before the albums release date.
I know a few travis fans who rarely buy singles.
Maybe an early single way before the album is due to hit us, might get a higher percentage of fans to buy a first single, securing a higher chart posistion and therefore raising greater awareness of the impending album to follow.
A new single with, say lola and another track, would certainly keep us happy, while we wait.
What do you think?

What a great prediction this was!

GMS1968
GMS1968 Posted Thu 26 Jun, 2008 10:26 PM Quote
Why thankyou.
Did,n't exactly go quite to plan did it. :-)

Pages [1] All Times BST Current Time 4:43 PM