Travis

Re: The
cornax
cornax Posted Thu 07 Feb, 2008 2:46 AM Quote
I'm wondering if it was no chatting at all or just no chatting during the first set. I can't picture Fran not talking!

SamuraiSandy
SamuraiSandy Posted Thu 07 Feb, 2008 2:56 AM Quote
wow! i cannot wait to hear these new songs...and the songs they played after the new stuff--wow!

heich
heich Posted Thu 07 Feb, 2008 3:30 AM Quote
Lola's version was like a snippet or the entire song?

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Thu 07 Feb, 2008 3:38 AM Quote
I finally was listed Sailing Away live!!!!

So Lovely!!

RaZzZ
RaZzZ Posted Thu 07 Feb, 2008 3:38 AM Quote
I finally was listed Sailing Away live!!!!

So Lovely!!

ElspethOllie
ElspethOllie Posted Thu 07 Feb, 2008 4:20 AM Quote
Wait... which version of "The Fear?"

Somewhere Else
Somewhere Else Posted Thu 07 Feb, 2008 4:32 AM Quote
Beat Poet wrote:
Here's the setlist . . .

Chinese Blues
Something Anything
Long Way Down
Broken Mirrors
Friends
Get Up
Last Words
Quite Free
Song 2 Self
Before You Were Young
J. Smith
Sing
Eyes Wide Open
The Last Laugh Of The Laughter
Love Will Come Through
Sailing Away
Side
The Fear
Writing To Reach You
Falling Down
Lola
Selfish Jean
All I Want To Do Is Rock

I just copied the list of new songs from the other thread, not sure if all of them were played.

WOW - What a setlist! Can't wait :-) Sailing Away and Lola, you lucky pps . Looks like Fran didn't have time to chat heehee

FranFlower
FranFlower Posted Thu 07 Feb, 2008 5:34 AM Quote
Oh come on, surely someone must be able to tell us something! I'm dying to know what the show was like :D
And thanks to BeatPoet for posting the setlist, what a brilliant brilliant set of songs!

Baby Fran
Baby Fran Posted Thu 07 Feb, 2008 7:31 AM Quote
Fantastic show, just hope Andy is ok!

mili
mili Posted Thu 07 Feb, 2008 7:38 AM Quote
Baby Fran wrote:

Why do you say that, did something happen?

heyjude
heyjude Posted Thu 07 Feb, 2008 7:59 AM Quote
that is quite a set list!! wow!!

Baby Fran
Baby Fran Posted Thu 07 Feb, 2008 8:12 AM Quote
mili wrote:
Baby Fran wrote:

Yeah he got taken to hospital with suspected broken ankle.

mili
mili Posted Thu 07 Feb, 2008 8:22 AM Quote
Baby Fran wrote:
mili wrote:
Baby Fran wrote:

Yeah he got taken to hospital with suspected broken ankle.

Ouch! That's terrible! Did he jump down from a great height or what?

evsie
evsie Posted Thu 07 Feb, 2008 8:23 AM Quote
What a great show!

I enjoyed it way more than any of the three gigs I went to last year (Warrington, Grimsby, Dalby Forest for reference) – largely because of the venue but also because the band seemed tighter and more energised. The setlist was also a lot more imaginative although I do think they should be playing for longer with all the songs they have now. (Although that’s easy forgiven with the cheap ticket prices).

Palace Fires seemed a good band, certainly the best support I’ve seen at a Travis gig since Magic Numbers in 2004, and once they had finished and packed their own equipment away it seemed like a long wait for Travis who were eventually on stage at nearly 9:10. Once they had entered the stage the lights stayed down while a monologue about “getting mad” played over the PA – this was lengthy and pardon my ignorance but I have no idea where this vocal comes from – a film most likely I guess? I’m not big on films.

Then BANG! Straight into the first song, a great track – the sound so much heavier than TBWNN. The first part of the gig went by in a blur of new songs that seemed to merge into one another. There was little or no break between songs, no chat, it was literally like listening to an album – live. People were calling out: “Fran! We are here you know!” and “Say something Fran” but he didn’t relent.

The new stuff seemed excellent at first listen although it was difficult to pick out the vocals, the sound wasn’t brilliant standing, as I was, near the front on Dougie’s side. However, Andy got through a lot of excellent guitar work including numerous solos but the revelation for me was Neil. He pounded the drums like I’ve never seen him do before – I didn’t know he had it in him and I’m hoping he will get a lot of credit for this once the album comes out.

If I had to sum up the sound of this new stuff I’d say it was like the love child of Good Feeling and 12 Memories with a bit of The Fear and Blue Flashing Light thrown in for good measure. I really enjoyed it though and it seemed to flow really well – if what was played is the proposed tracklist for the album then it will be perfect. The last song in particular was fantastic and would make a brilliant album closer.

This is not to say there weren’t examples of wistful, softer Travis but these moments were restricted to the odd verse here and the odd bridge there. Just as you think you’re having a melancholy moment it broke out into full blown rock.

Key highlights were Fran playing a banjo on one song (note that the banjo was not on a stand) and Neil using a massive gong behind his kit.

Dougie still managed ample hip rotation despite the unfamiliarity of the material.

Once the album had been played (in its entirety I presume) the guys left the stage for a 10 minute interval.

On their return Fran finally addressed the crowd with an explanation that they would now be playing some familiar songs but there would be a lot missing (I must admit I never thought I’d see a Travis gig without WDIAROM, Turn, Driftwood) and we should let go of the security blanket. He used the analogy of being in the sea and panicking because you can’t swim and then you stand up and your foot touches the floor and you’re in about 1 foot of water.

The sound in this section was crystal clear so I’m not sure why the same couldn’t be said for the first set. I phoned my sister during Sailing Away so she could hear and got told off by security – he said there should be no recording. The material sounded tighter and fuller and it felt to me like the way the older stuff was played was influenced by the style of the new stuff. Neil smashed the gong at the end of Selfish Jean which was hilarious (I’m not sure the others were expecting it). The Fear wasn’t the rocky version (at least Fran had an acoustic) but was no less welcome. A B-side and a cover were a lovely surprise alongside Sailing Away and Last Laugh.

Just as the gig had really got going they left the stage only returning for just one song (AIWTDIR) which was a shame. Still it took me ‘til 3am to get home.

Overall it was a slightly surreal but wonderful experience, a great gig and a nice chance to see Travis in a more intimate venue. The new stuff is going to be a revelation – the sort of material that will get them noticed by the likes of Radio 1, NME again (assuming that’s what they want). Some members of the crowd seemed a bit stunned by the volume and force of the new songs – maybe they were expecting Battleships, Closer etc but there are multiple sides to this band and album six is the side with the teeth – welcome back.

Moray
Moray Posted Thu 07 Feb, 2008 8:36 AM Quote
Brilliant review! It sounds like they're off in a whole new direction as promised. And doing 'numerous' guitar solo's eh, I'm looking forward to hearing that.

And lovely to see Falling Down make a long overdue, and very welcome return to the setlist.

Pages Previous 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Next All Times BST Current Time 8:46 PM